Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum (http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Big Screen (http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ring Around the Moon (http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134266)

manoil 03-06-2011 02:28 AM

Ring Around the Moon

bout to watch this episode...:D

Captain Sci-Fi 03-06-2011 07:48 AM

If it's second season, don't do it.... :thumbdown:

Cellini 03-06-2011 10:12 AM

Ring around the moon is First Season. Not one of the most memorable but better than any episode in season 2. :yes:

VTracy 03-06-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi (Post 303633)
If it's second season, don't do it.... :thumbdown:

GRRRRRRRR....................:argue:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=9311

headcase 31-01-2013 03:21 PM

So........ how was it????

tim 06-04-2013 09:11 PM

How get Alpha get all this info about the planet Triton?

Koenig must have read the How To Talk A Crazy Computer To Death by James T. Kirk. He does it to the Triton probe.

CR 07-04-2013 04:44 AM

I, I of all people am swooping to the defence of Season Two! :nuts:
Oh, come on... devoted Season One guy here, but I rather liked Season Two's 'The Immunity Syndrome.' Of course, in my mind's eye, I imagined it in Season One format & characters, and like it better that way, but still... it would work in either season.
(I mean Johnny Byrne was arguably one of the entire series' best writers, so it's got that going for it. And Maya with--gasp!--no transformations, showing just how effective her character could be without a gimmick!)

I think the 'RAtM' might be better with a more Barry Gray-ish orchestral score, to fit in with the majority of S1 music... might give it a better sense of mystery.

Steve Gerard 07-04-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CR (Post 361202)
I, I of all people am swooping to the defence of Season Two! :nuts:
Oh, come on... devoted Season One guy here, but I rather liked Season Two's 'The Immunity Syndrome.' Of course, in my mind's eye, I imagined it in Season One format & characters, and like it better that way, but still... it would work in either season.
(I mean Johnny Byrne was arguably one of the entire series' best writers, so it's got that going for it. And Maya with--gasp!--no transformations, showing just how effective her character could be without a gimmick!)

I think the 'RAtM' might be better with a more Barry Gray-ish orchestral score, to fit in with the majority of S1 music... might give it a better sense of mystery.

CR well said.;)

CR 08-04-2013 05:40 AM

Well, thanks. And I'm not trying to fight or anything.

I hadn't seen most Season 2 eps since I first saw them decades ago when they first aired in the US. (Except for two on a friend's LaserDisc copy some 15 years ago: "The Rules of Luton" and "The Taybor," both of which I then vowed never to watch again.) But I'd read Martin's transcripts and viewed the archived photos/screen grabs, and some of the eps read fairly well.

Hadn't seen most S2 eps until recently, that is. I started watching some of the S2 eps on YouTube, and... well, I still am far and away a Season 1 fan. But in S2's defence, there were some decent episodes. I gave "Chrysalis AB" a shot, having recalled that members of the Online Alpha mailing list had commented that it felt like a S1 ep... I have to agree, it had that vibe going for it. It was better than I'd remembered it from all those years ago. I've sampled parts of several other eps, and some are OK, some are awful.

The pacing in S2 is definitely faster than S1, which likely would appeal to today's viewing audiences.

I can certainly try to find the 'diamonds in the rough' a little more now than I'd been inclined to in the past, but I won't be able to become a complete convert, though... the things I've always disliked about S2 I still dislike, and in some cases, things I'd not noticed as youngster really stand out now... like how darned cheerful everyone seems on Alpha; it seems very forced, and at times (I'm looking at nearly every S2 epilogue on this point) out of place immediately following whatever crisis they've all just overcome. And the music, though decent enough on its own as jazzy, action-pop, rather pulls me right out of the story; it's often too distracting.

Which--AT LAST-- brings me back to S1's RAtM, and the point I posted about the music yesterday. RAtM is by far one of the weaker S1 eps, made moreso by the disco-funk music that seems so at odds with the feel of both the story and the series as a whole. On a different tack, might RAtM have made a better S2 ep? Instead of Koenig talking the Tritonian probe to death, Maya might have tried infiltrating it in some way (I can't believe I'm suggesting the very thing I criticized--the transforming gimmick). I dunno... Maybe RAtM isn't good for either season! :D

So, manoil, did you get to watch it? How'd it go?

tim 10-04-2013 08:52 PM

Anyone notice the Triton probe sounded like Paul Morrow (Prentice Hancock did the voice) ?