Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum (http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cap'n on Deck (http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=270)
-   -   Commander On Deck - Member poll (Please Read & Vote) (http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159563)

karr1981 18-05-2014 03:17 PM

Commander On Deck - Member poll (Please Read & Vote)

Hi Guys,

Our site is busier than ever and continues to evolve. ETF will continue to be a free to use site but we still need to raise funds to cover the costs of running it. Currently we use our own funds, store profits ( thanks to all our customers for your support) and AMC memberships. However, fewer people have taken up AMC recently probably due to the financial climate so a rethink has become necessary.

We are proposing the following changes and want your views via a poll, please take a moment to vote and let us know what you think.

Chris

boatshewsd2 18-05-2014 06:41 PM

Question, Please...

Have I missed something, or is a link to the poll yet forthcoming? Looking forward to reading it!

Pls advise, and Thanks. :)

karr1981 18-05-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 (Post 384277)
Have I missed something, or is a link to the poll yet forthcoming? Looking forward to reading it!

Pls advise, and Thanks. :)

The Poll should be at the top of the page above my first post, if it isn't showing let me know and ill check it out.

boatshewsd2 18-05-2014 07:38 PM

Follow-Up...

Roger that; guess I just didn't look high enough on the page!

:2c: What would be your preference, re receiving comments on this poll?

Thanks again! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by karr1981 (Post 384282)
The Poll should be at the top of the page above my first post, if it isn't showing let me know and ill check it out.

karr1981 18-05-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 (Post 384285)
:2c: What would be your preference, re receiving comments on this poll?

Thats completely up to you mate, its fine to post your comment in this thread, or if its something you want to discuss privately dont hesitate to send it in pm to me.

Thanks,

Chris

boatshewsd2 18-05-2014 08:34 PM

PM just sent to you. Thanks in advance for your attention! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by karr1981 (Post 384286)
Thats completely up to you mate, its fine to post your comment in this thread, or if its something you want to discuss privately dont hesitate to send it in pm to me.

Thanks,

Chris

DARKVIEW 18-05-2014 11:33 PM

Sorry guys not been on for awhile...

karr1981 19-05-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKVIEW (Post 384299)
Sorry guys not been on for awhile...

no worries mate ,welcome back.

Odahs 19-05-2014 02:15 PM

Having run an unrelated forum for over a decade - go with the advertising. I use to get an influx of donations when things got desperate (some very generous) but give it 6 months and they would dry up again. Ended up handing it over to someone else as I was tired of meeting all the server costs etc. It still exists, but with no promotion and minimal updates.

One observation I have as a newbie and outsider, is that I don't know how AMC membership would enhance my experience of the forum. I currently find not having access to some of the reference material is just kind of off-putting rather than encouraging.

Captain Sci-Fi 19-05-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odahs (Post 384319)
One observation I have as a newbie and outsider, is that I don't know how AMC membership would enhance my experience of the forum. I currently find not having access to some of the reference material is just kind of off-putting rather than encouraging.

I Don't like it either but it was a system I inherited. I want to allow access to everything whether you paid or not as this is much easier to manage from an admin point of view too.

Some members are stalwarts in their support of the forum and helping to meet the expense of it, they are identified by the AMC supporter badge under their forum name) they were always the very few carrying everyone's enjoyment with their generosity. I think this is very unfair really, it has to be easier and cheaper if we politely ask for minimal 2 a year as a voluntary donation from everyone than expect 10 per year from a small number of supporters.

It would be easier to allow paid advertising onto the forum but my personal feeling is I don't like it. It some circumstances it can cause delays in page loading but it probably would raise enough funds over a year to cover all the costs.

I won't make any changes that will effect our beloved corner of the Internet without asking everyone's opinion.

Bernie

Odahs 19-05-2014 04:12 PM

Thanks for the explanation Bernie.

Have you considered having it so the forum is full access with adverts, but members can opt to pay 2 annually to not see them?

That's probably 2 straight away from most of the regulars, yet at the same time you get revenue from those casually browsing the threads. This must be a fairly large number of people each day, as every single time I research anything Anderson and model related, I always end up back here!

This way everyone could be happy, those not bothered by adverts pay nothing, those that are bothered by adverts can contribute to the forum in another way.

Asking the 2 with an incentive attached faster loading pages/no exposure to advertising seems like a plan.

In all, though adverts wouldn't bother me if they were relevant to model making, on a forum I spent a lot of time on, I would be happy to opt out of seeing them for 2 a year.

Boldman 19-05-2014 08:07 PM

Adverts don't bother me as I run with quite aggressive ad blockers, but I would be happy to make a small contribution towards the running costs of the forum.

Ham Salad 20-05-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odahs (Post 384323)
Thanks for the explanation Bernie.

Have you considered having it so the forum is full access with adverts, but members can opt to pay 2 annually to not see them?.

I haven't got any 2L's.

I am however, reeling in the E's. Stowing away the time.

Conrad Turner 20-05-2014 12:00 PM

Uh Oh! Stay away from Ham Salad on the dance floor! :D:

Funnily enough, I have been considering upgrading to AMC recently. I have now been in a job for a while and consider my chances of redundancy to be small, and I have some disposable income each month, so membership here is something I have been thinking about.

There is one thing that has been putting me off, however. In recent times, the forum has become increasingly ........ untidy. There are threads on Blake's 7, Doctor Who, and Red Dwarf (All series I have an interest in and want to keep an eye on.) but they are not in "Ring Around the Moon", the area set up within "Deep Space Tracking Station" for threads on "General discussion of all other British sci-fi hardware and subject matter. Dr Who, Blake's 7, War Of The Worlds, Red Dwarf, 2001 - all in here. ", but can be found in "Breakaway", which should be for "General discussion of all other non-British sci-fi hardware and subject matter. Irwin Allen, Blade Runner, Star Wars, Star Trek (if you really must), Aliens - all in here.".

Can this change be used as an excuse to tidy up the site and re-instate things where they belong - or do away with the distinctions?

Odahs 20-05-2014 12:28 PM

Talking about admin type stuff, I noticed that the thread I started on the Dinky mobile doesn't show up if searching under my user name, nor do any of the posts I make in it. It also doesn't come up under a title search.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=159394

Feels like I got lost in some dark corner of the forum lol. Not sure if it should have been posted in the 'Launch Crater' instead, but it seems odd that new posts etc don't show up under my statistics tab.

boatshewsd2 20-05-2014 03:51 PM

Hope This Might Help...

Your mention of the Dinky mobile rang a vague bell with me. It was part of the thread name, and I was pretty sure I'd seen that somewhere...

Did a little snooping, and sure enough:

Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds & Detailing
UFO
Sub-forum name: Shado mobile
Thread name: What's 'wrong' with the Dinky Mobile?
Thread name: Dinky Mobile Editions

:)

karr1981 29-05-2014 06:57 PM

Thank you to everyone who voted.

The overall concensus was that members who were prepared to make a donation would like to keep google style ads off the site, whilst those who were not interested in donating would be happy with seeing some google ads to help the site keep going, so we are in the process of setting this up, and this wioll replace AMC.

Members who have a current AMC membership will have that extended as a thank you.

More details will follow,

Thanks,

Chris