Thread: Strakers Car
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Strakers Car

Hi Guys,

I am overjoyed to let you know that there has been a flurry of activity in an english garden this weekend. Strakers Car has been visited, surveyed and moulded.

This is the first time the car has been moved in twenty plus years when it was lifted away from a boundary to be able to work around it. Several technicians then moulded every panel measured and photographed each part and feature detail, they found samples of the original paint colour which have been recorded for later exact matching.

I don't have any images to share just yet but after staying silent for the last several months to protect the projects viability, I am very happy to tell you all that we should see a work in progress replica when I visit the studio facility where the work is due to take place over the coming months.

I have been given unrestricted access during the production of this replica by the head of the project, none other than Sean Robinson. He tells me this is the last stage of an ongoing project that will result in a replica car fully fitted with all mod cons but still retaining the gull wing doors and other exterior styling that made the car such an icon. As he explains:

"It's a big car, much bigger than you imagine, we have managed to mould every panel to produce a positive replica which will be further refined after fixing to a specially designed jig. The work is being carried out and technically lead by the engineer responsible for the sets used in Harry Potter. Custom glass manufacturers used to producing windows for custom cars have been consulted too, this car will be as close a match as it is possible to make in a road worthy modern car"

I will be following this build to resurrect this iconic machine, the moulds are being delivered to the studio today (Sunday 13th May) and images should be available over the next few days once Sean has regrouped after this weekend labours.

I asked Sean why they didn't use the original car? He explained there were a few reasons:
"It would have been impossible to save the car from it's current condition and move it from it current location intact, basically the steel chassis from the Ford Zephyr upon which this car is built has turned to dust over time. If we hadn't done this now there would not been anything thing left to give a meaningful starting place using the surviving parts, it was now or never. The current owner has been very generous in allowing us to do this work, he has given us all the help he could to do the work and we are grateful to him."
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote