Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-10-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Default Johnson's Kleer/Future Floor polish

This is now very popular as a sealing coat prior to the addition of decals and makes a good barrier for any undercoats during various weathering operations. However it's use can be confusing and there are a number of modelling sites which cover the use of Future such as Starship Modeler's Forum but the following webpage explains how to use it and the different brands available across the world. If you build models at all, this highly recommended page is worth bookmarking as it's one of the best, laying things out in a clear concise way that Future virgins will find easy to follow:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Thanks for this information and link, this will be very useful indeed, the link has been book marked for future reference.

I did know someone locally who used to use this type material for model projects, and I wanted further information and details from him, however I lost contact with him when he moved house and he forgot to let me have any contact details.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
multivac
Hydroponics Technician

Well does this stuff yellow?
multivac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

No.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
TonyB
Forum Supporter

One of the things that I remember my friend telling me about him using Klear as a coating on his models, was regards thinning it using Isopropyl Alcohol to put it through an airbrush.

Isopropyl Alcohol is easily picked up from a good chemist or pharmacy and is relatively inexpensive so I have been informed, but depending on your chemist you mey well get the third degree when you try to purchase it, or at leat that's what happened to him when he purchased his supply locally, they went banging on about something to do with its possible uses in bomb making or suchlike, go figure.

Apparently they just kept giving him blank or strange looks when he tried to explain to them about thinning a floor cleaner and coating models with it. But that may just be our local pharmacy, they look at you all funny when you ask for than one box of paracetamol.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Isn't Tamiya paint thinner the same? Mind you, at 4.50 for a plastic bottle about half the size of a can of Coke, it's horrendously expensive.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Pretty much the same, but if you want some go to the pharmacy as its far far cheaper overall, Tamiya is OK if you only want small amounts of the stuff, as you say its got quite a hefty price tag for such a small bottle.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I can see I'll be heading to Boots sometime tomorrow. It's probably worth having some around for other things too.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I managed to track down the materials in question today, although I did have to vist around three supermarkets to get some Klear, and several chemists to obtain some Isopropyl Alcohol, but I was unable to locate any household ammonia at this point, the ammonia is to clean up the Klear if needed.

Klear, 2.34 for a 500ml bottle.

Isopropyl Alcohol, 4.35 for 500ml, or 5.80 for 500ml depending on which chemist you order it from.

Boots do not stock it any more or so I was told, but that may just be locally to me, and non of the chemists that I visited had any stocks at all either, though three of them would order it for me, two of which could get it for me on the same day. All three of the chemists asked what was it being used for and two of them wanted contact and address details before they would order it, not because they did not want to be stuck with a bottle but apparently for their records, as I was led to believe it is a chemical that can be used to make explosives.

You can also get a 2ltr bottle for around 14.00 ish, if enough people wanted some and had difficulty obtaining it locally, then this could be the answer, buy the large bottle and decant it down.

I also called into to see my friend who runs a model shop in town and stock's the Tamiya paint range, for comparison here are the prices of Tamiya's X20 Thinner...

12ml glass bottle 1.00, 125ml glass bottle 2.50, 250ml plastic tub 4.50.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #10
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I got Windolene (which contains ammonia) at Waitrose yesterday while shopping just to experiment with.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #11
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Ah, Windolene, (sounds like something from Wallace and Grommit, ), I knew that I had forgotten something on my shopping list, I had focused so much on the job I went into town for, (organising the venue for our local wargames club show in December), and looking to find the ammonia that I forgot about picking up some of that.

Is the Windowlene the Clear spray product or the Pink one.

BTW, the chemist that I enquired about the Isopropyl Alcohol phoned me just after lunchtime to tell me the stuff was in stock and ready for me to pick up, (this was the 4.35 chemist not the other one), bloody good service that.