Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #41
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Finally, FINALLY, some progress.
This project has stalled for quite a while as i've needed a Saturn 1B kit to progress - and they're rare and dead expensive when they do appear.
And i can't justify a lot of money for little amount of parts needed.
But its very odd - four of them finished last week on eBay, all within a coupla days of each other, all with different sellers.
The first went for 70+
The second about 65
And the third i won - for 27.
So, a happy bunny indeed, as i skip off to the workbench.
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #42
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

amazing reconstruction loving the build up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 02:16 AM   #43
Propland
Chief Eagle Pilot

Glad to see the parts are coming together. I will commence work again soon on my Psydon, when I do I will also post pics of my progress.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #44
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Hey folks, can i ask some advice?
Started cracking on now i've the 1B kit and dead pleased that the part for the neck fits really snugly over the B&Q piping i've used for the support rod:

But something that's been on my mind for quite a while now is how does the neck attach to the curved rear of the beak?

I'd assumed it's actually recessed into it, or something like that. But that's not the case - the neck is very low down on the rear of the beak, pretty much a case of half on that and the other half hanging lower down, as does the flange that goes round it, which you can see it doing here:

And then it was pointed out to me that the reason the neck fits so well...

... is because the rear of the beak. Contrary to popular opinion, Martin didn't use half a 44" Eagle beak for the basis - his was similar in shape and size, but not so deep and, crucially, a flat rear to it.
And that's my problem - i'm using an Eagle beak shape, so have the curve.

The question is: if i attach the neck straight to the curved beak, i'm going to have a gap at the top - so how do i disguise it?
Was thinking of using filler, but that'd be kind of obvious up top like that. Maybe disguise it with kitbits? But that goes away from trying to make it like the original.
Any thoughts?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #45
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I think the intention may have originally been that the pattern Martin carved was for an Eagle CM but it wasn't necessarily a perfect match to the Space Models Eagles. He may have carved it with a flatter back.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #46
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

"There looks to be some additional panelling to be added around the join as well, which will help."
There is indeed more panelling - as well as the flange where the neck joins the CM, there's a curvy piece that goes up around that and between the eyes and is finished off with a couple of sanded down Lunar Module feet - and i'm thinking that's going to be my saving grace.
Any matching i have to do could be disguised by them.