Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Default A Belated Introduction...!

Hello Forum
i've actually been posting here quite regularly for the past month or so, but I've never properly introduced myself....sorry!
So. For me, it all began back on Thursday, August 10th, 1961, at around 6:00 am, in a small back-bedroom in a modest house in Stone, Staffordshire. After a couple of years of all the usual, nappies, feeding, teething, tantrums, etc. my Parents took me off in a dirty great big ship to Hong Kong 'cause Dad had a new promotion and this meant we had to set off half way around the World! Whillst living there, in our lovely big flat (Army owned, off base, on Kowloon), many new things happened to me! There was the food, amazing beaches, school, and television! Some of those first televisual delights were Fireball XL-5, Stingray, Doctor Who, and then Thunderbirds! I absolutely fell in love with Daleks, and Thunderbird 2; a love affair that continues to this day!!!
Of course, I got all the TV related toys for birthdays and christmas. My Hertz dalek and green Dinky TB-2 were treasured above all else! Then came Batman and James Bond, and the Corgi models followed very rapidly! I also had most of the JR-21 thunderbird toys, colouring books, plasticine sets, and jigsaws.
Sadly, that sneaky black-hole that seems to follow children around as they reach about 10 yrs old, followed me too, and by the time we were back in England and UFO was on television, most of those old toys I'd had in Hong Kong had been mysteriously sucked-up into it's depths, never to be seen again.
My early teens passed without too much incident, apart from of course collecting the UFO Interceptor, Shado 2 Mobile, Ed Strakers' car, and later, the Eagle Transporter, and a full set of Countdown/TV Action comics, and then finding that at some point, that bloody black-hole had returned again!
Fast-roward now past all the early jobs, discovering pubs, playing in bands, girlfriends, etc. to the present day!
As many of you (if you're still reading!!) will have seen, I've managed to rebuild a reasonable collection of those old Dinky and Corgi toys, and have aprox 55 Daleks of one sort or another!
I also collect another old childhood favourite of mine, old comics: Beano, Whizzer & Chips, Wham!, Topper, Beryl The Peril, and have a fair collection of the related annuals, and some of the Corgi and Lledo commemoration pieces.
Another thing that I've collected recently is antique to modern Royal Albert Fine Bone China. An odd thing for me to collect? Totally diverse to the Dinky, and Corgi, and Sci-Fi stuff? Well yes...it is... but it's beautiful stuff and is a part of my families heritage! It was my Great-Great-Great Grandfather, Thomas Wild, who, with his oldest son Thomas Clark Wild, founded the original factory back in 1895 in Longton, Stoke. Royal Albert quickly became one of the foremost pottery manufacturers World-Wide, and is still held in high regard now!
Anyway, I found this website a couple of months ago, while looking for help on restoring a vintage 1966 Corgi Batmobile, and liked what I saw!! I signed up, and here I am It's a really terrific and friendly community, and I am in SUCH awe at the work I see you all doing here, so unbelievably talented!
I must also say a big Thank You to everyone, for having already made me feel so welcome, and I look forward to enjoying much more time here
So, if you're still reading (well done!!), Thanks again.
Cheers,
Steve.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

So how did the Batmobile go? You're more than welcome great to have you along.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Thanks for that, matey
The batmobile restoration was primarily to fix the collapsed front suspension and to free the chain-cutter mechanism. This, I was able to do! I didn't do a respray because I didn't want to have to cut out any more rivets, and risk cracking the windscreens which were blemish-free! The paintwork as it stands is actually pretty good for a car made in '66.just a few chips around the front grills, and small rubs along the wings; the points are perfectly intact! I also replaced the rubber tyres as the original ones just crumbled away.
One of Corgi's finest
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 17-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I'm impressed that you didn't remove all the rivets to fix the suspension. Good to leave them all be if you can, so you're wise to keep it as is. The 9 I've restored here were utter wrecks, but the other two are still very good originals. Post a photo when you can. These and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang are corgi at their very finest.
Old 17-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Cheers Tony.
I didn't need to cut away the internal rivets 'cause I didn't want to remove the rocket-tubes, mechanism, or canopy, seeing as I wasn't stripping it to repaint!Anyway, here's a couple of pics then, I also have a late model from '76 - the last i believe before the silly wide-wheel version got released! And no...I don't have the red wheeled one! I'm not interested in how 'valuable' it may be to collectors...I just think it looks bloody stupid and Fugly!!!! Wouldn't give it house-room!

Here's the newly reapaired and cleaned up cutter in action!

And looking splendid on it's nice repro. box tray!

Cheers,
Steve.

Old 18-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Very nice stuff. An original gloss one with complete glass (nice find) and the 1976 one. The wide wheels one is fun, but not something for the serious. I have seen one restorer use a set of wide wheels on the rear of a vehicle to give it the hot rod look, but yes, one wonders why they went with them. The red wheels were a Dinky like mistake, which they liked and kept for about 6 months till the black ones were on line.

I had a lot of fun in my mid-life crisis year doing up one of each version, and various ones for other people. Haven't done any for some time now. There's one here waiting so I may get to it after the 23" has been repainted.