SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #141
hark40
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Oh its getting to the point where we need motion sickness pills to watch anything today.
Well, I am currently in the process of watching Farscape. It has often got a gentle camera sway - and this series is almost 10yrs old!!!!
hark40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #142
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I confess I haven't even watched he latest Indiana Jones film, as I rather liked the other three and the reviews of this one haven't been wonderful. Is it really worth the watch or not?
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #143
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Bad Indiana Jones is better than no Indiana Jones but IMHO (and many others) it's easily the weakest of the four by quite a large margin.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #144
Bruce
Medical Technician

Absolutely! I get pretty odd stares from people when I tell them that I prefer my TV/movie spaceships to be suspended from wires "the way God intended".

CG has its place, but there's just something wonderful about knowing that a scene was filmed using actual models. Old school, I know

Bruce

Last edited by w8cmp; 28-02-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Bruce is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #145
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

I think UFO could easily be made again and far, far better than the original.
Sadly "Could" and "Would" are opposites in this case and I don't think it would be better.
I don't understand all the animosity about CG versus models, they both look fake. The edge goes toward the current generation of CG however, it's getting markedly more realistic where a model will always look like a model.
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #146
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
So when you can tell it's a model it's a model shot, therefore all model shots look like models...

There are any number of examples of model shots that go right by an audience and are simply accepted as the real thing. The 1:6 truck explosion in 'The Terminator', the 1:6 truck and ground station in 'The Quiet Earth', the 1:24 & 1:48 houses and the 1:8 cemetary & police car in 'The Frighteners'. Any amount of miniature work in 'The Lord of the Rings' seen from windows or in the background of a live action shot, which are routinely accepted as part of the live-action set.

If your model looks like a model, then you're not doing it right.

I disagree, if it's in the background and you don't notice it that's because you're watching the action in the foreground not because it looks so real. If you ignore the action in the forground and watch closely the background you will be able to tell it's a model, you just have to look. Models and matte paintings are used because it's not feasable (physically or financially) to build it full size, not because it looks more real.

Someday all visual entertainment will be computer generated. SAG (Screen Actors Guild) is already worried about this and it has been part of last years contract negotiations as they are worried about their jobs. It won't be tomorrow or the next day but it's coming as the programs get better and computing power increases to support rendering at photo realistic levels.

Last edited by Doug_H; 17-02-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 17-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #147
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The problem with that is that there is always the pressure to make something bigger and better each time to stand out from what's gone before but sometimes less is more. "Jaws" started the tradition of the summer 'blockbuster' but when every film is made in the style of a blockbuster, they become the norm rather than something exceptional. It's not a fault of CGI but CGI allows things to be portrayed on screen almost at the limits of extremism so the next film that comes along trying to out do the last one actually just looks like it's already been done before and no longer amazing. I believe they should ditch the love affair with the computer and concentrate more on the core story and worry about how things are done after it's written rather than tailoring a sequence to showcase some new technology (or the inevitable computer game).
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #148
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
The problem with that is that there is always the pressure to make something bigger and better each time to stand out from what's gone before but sometimes less is more. "Jaws" started the tradition of the summer 'blockbuster' but when every film is made in the style of a blockbuster, they become the norm rather than something exceptional. It's not a fault of CGI but CGI allows things to be portrayed on screen almost at the limits of extremism so the next film that comes along trying to out do the last one actually just looks like it's already been done before and no longer amazing. I believe they should ditch the love affair with the computer and concentrate more on the core story and worry about how things are done after it's written rather than tailoring a sequence to showcase some new technology.
I agree 110% DX! Take this year for example; What's with all the remakes? Star Trek, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elmstreet on and on. If it's not remakes its a sequel; Transformers II.

Can't someone make an original movie anymore?

Sorry for the thread hijack, I love UFO because it's so campy (and the models)
Old 26-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #149
CR
Science Officer

The truck & ground station in The Quiet Earth was a model?! I never knew that. Then again, I was fooled by the tanker truck in The Terminator, too. (As in, "the Terminator, as well," not "Terminator 2.")
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote