Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #41
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

This is turning into a debate/argument that spans back for close to three decades in certain quarters of Anderson Fandom. I am sure no offence was meant and if anything all that was shown was honesty. (Given what has blown up here over the last few days some honesty is surely to be applauded whatever your thoughts on Mark 42s post) Personally I too thought Steve's work far outshone that of any other fan/pro artist back in the early days of SIG and Fanderson and it is a disappointment that he was not responsible for more in the Anderson realm . Of course many early video covers had his lovely work on them. Something which needs to be remembered is that once anyone has recieved a payment for a piece of published work whether it be a magazine article, painting, DVD project or whatever a consumer, or potential consumer, has the right to an opinion once it is out in the market place. I am sure Graham has a thick skin as have any individuals in the public eye which to a degree amongst Anderson fans Graham has been for many years. As long as the critique is made with some foundation and supported with articulation and some substance it is valid. Whether others agree is of course a different matter.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #42
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

They have different styles which suit different applications. Steve uses strong vivid colour erring towards photo realism. Graham uses pastel colours in the style of book illustrations or oil painting sets. While generally I prefer the former style (just personal taste - well I would, wouldn't I?), both techniques are what they are. It's a bit like comparing Ralph McQuarrie with Herge.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #43
Lt Green
Hydroponics Technician

Hi,

I have two of Graham Bleathman's cutaway books - they are fascinating and worth buying. I wish I had his talent. However, having said that, Mark42's comments are to me spot on.

@Mark42, I asked Steve Kyte several years ago why he wasn't producing any more Anderson artwork. He replied that the commissioning people/publishers etc involved at that time weren't inclined to pay any kind of reasonable amount/royalties for his work and that others were, so he'd reluctantly decided to do the other better paid non-Anderson work instead. A very sad loss to us fans of his superb Anderson artworks, but I think very understandable, especially these days.

Cheers
LTG
Lt Green is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #44
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
They have different styles which suit different applications. Steve uses strong vivid colour erring towards photo realism. Graham uses pastel colours in the style of book illustrations or oil painting sets. While generally I prefer the former style (just personal taste - well I would, wouldn't I?), both techniques are what they are. It's a bit like comparing Ralph McQuarrie with Herge.
Trust DX to come up with better wording than my 2-footed approach, I think it is this almost 'illustrative look thats coloured in' as opposed to just being 'arty' that I don't like. Sorry but I'm not really sure of the correct words to describe it, but as I said it is just my opinion of what I thinks good or poor, and that is what discussion forums are about, I've never met the man or talked to him so I have no axe to grind on the subject - I'm sure he is a nice bloke and hope he continues to produce work in this field.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote