Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #141
Dave
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienation View Post
Let's see here...you're in a forum mostly dedicated to sci-fi modeling...your nerd alert alarm should be going off loud enough for the neighbores to hear

Ah, personally I try to be a "stealth nerd".
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #142
CR
Science Officer

Star Trek Remastered fixed those 'nacelle nits' when they cleaned up the sfx. I suppose they could have changed background extras via CGI inserts (like how they put DS9's O'Brian into "The Trouble with Tribbles" footage for "Trials & Tribble-ations"), but they chose only to fix sfx shots (models, mattes, phaser beams and the like).
Sorry, but (for example) the new 'old' Enterprise is not the Enterprise. It's just that simple. The worst part is JJ Abrams' crowing about how they couldn't change such an iconic part of the Star Trek mythos, and then went right ahead and did so! Huh?!

And obviously, the new crew is not the old crew. Obviously, we can't have the orignal actors, but that's not my complaint. And I'm not talking about a background extra showing up in more than one ep as a different background extra. I'm talking about whole crew assignments, relationships, history, and so on. Gary Mitchell? Lee Kelso? How's Chekov around for the first Kirk mission? And so on. If continuity is going to be that drastically altered, why not just make a new series?
Oh, well. Like any other soap opera, actors are switched out & we're just supposed to pretend it's all the same person. I guess in this case, it goes beyond actors & includes characters, too.

Hmm... sounds a bit like what they did between seasons 1 & 2 of Space: 1999; we were just supposed to pretend things had always been that way, or that some time had passed and we should be over the changes by now. Only we never got to experience those changes.
At least this new Star Trek thing has that going for it, if the rumours are true: we'll witness the thing(s) that alter the timeline to create the 'new universe.'
Well, I won't be a witness, as I don't plan to see this any time soon. Entertainment it is, but not for me. Just sayin'.

Last edited by CR; 27-02-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: clarified some things (hopefully)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #143
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

They're not doing the altering the timeline thingy are they.....pulllleaseeee!
Boring.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #144
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Star Trek Remastered fixed those 'nacelle nits' when they cleaned up the sfx. I suppose they could have changed background extras via CGI inserts (like how they put DS9's O'Brian into "The Trouble with Tribbles" footage for "Trials & Tribble-ations"), but they chose only to fix sfx shots (models, mattes, phaser beams and the like).
Sorry, but (for example) the new 'old' Enterprise is not the Enterprise. It's just that simple. The worst part is JJ Abrams' crowing about how they couldn't change such an iconic part of the Star Trek mythos, and then went right ahead and did so! Huh?!

And obviously, the new crew is not the old crew. Obviously, we can't have the orignal actors, but that's not my complaint. And I'm not talking about a background extra showing up in more than one ep as a different background extra. I'm talking about whole crew assignments, relationships, history, and so on. Gary Mitchell? Lee Kelso? How's Chekov around for the first Kirk mission? And so on. If continuity is going to be that drastically altered, why not just make a new series?
Oh, well. Like any other soap opera, actors are switched out & we're just supposed to pretend it's all the same person. I guess in this case, it goes beyond actors & includes characters, too.

Hmm... sounds a bit like what they did between seasons 1 & 2 of Space: 1999; we were just supposed to pretend things had always been that way, or that some time had passed and we should be over the changes by now. Only we never got to experience those changes.
At least this new Star Trek thing has that going for it, if the rumours are true: we'll witness the thing(s) that alter the timeline to create the 'new universe.'
Well, I won't be a witness, as I don't plan to see this any time soon. Entertainment it is, but not for me. Just sayin'.
If anyone read my diatribe about lack of continuity in "Star Trek", did you notice that I DIDN'T point out what a LOT of fans complained about in "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan"? How did Khan (in the movie) know Chekov since Chekov didn't join the cast until the 2nd season & Khan's episode was in the first? I immediately caught that too. However, I'm ALSO swift enough to figure that the Enterprise carries a crew of 400+ therefore, Chekov COULD have been "below decks" for the first year. So, the episode didn't SHOW Khan & Chekov meet. So what? Like it was an impossibility?
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #145
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I agree. The Chekov thing didn't bother me in the slightest. It's only important to know that Khan did recognise him as a crew member who had been on the Enterprise.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #146
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

And possibly not that junior a crew member. I would find it harder to believe that Chekov was an Ensign in some out-of-the-way part of the ship when Khan had been aboard, was now a second officer, and Khan still thought Kirk was a captain, than I would to believe Chekov was the Con or Ops officer he was seen to be (I forget which) later, but on one of the other shifts and therefore not on the bridge at the same time as Kirk.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #147
Stu73
Communications Officer

Maybe it was Chekov's day off when Mr. Khan came on board.
Or maybe he was busy setting up PsiCorps?
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #148
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
And possibly not that junior a crew member. I would find it harder to believe that Chekov was an Ensign in some out-of-the-way part of the ship when Khan had been aboard, was now a second officer, and Khan still thought Kirk was a captain, than I would to believe Chekov was the Con or Ops officer he was seen to be (I forget which) later, but on one of the other shifts and therefore not on the bridge at the same time as Kirk.
As seen in the show, he started out at the Conn...in the first movie, he was Security/Weapons, in the 2nd he was a 1st Officer, in the third he was back at the Conn & stayed there till the last movie with the original crew (although I don't really know what he was in "Generations"). Of course, he was always #2 behind Spock at the science station so, him being a 1st officer in II makes sense.

Last edited by David A. Sobral; 27-02-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Addition
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #149
CR
Science Officer

Just to clarify my earlier post... I was referring to Chekov being on Kirk's first mission in the new Abrams Star Trek, not the 'nit' about how Kahn recognised him in STII:TWoK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
And everyone seems to have missed my point entirely while getting caught up in the few examples I listed: if the continuity of the series is being altered so much, why not just make a new series? (Aside from the fact that perhaps audiences are tired of yet another Star Trek spin-off airing, either on the big screen or on tv.) Instead of a remake, a reboot, or a re-whatever, why not just do something different, not affiliated with what has come before?
Old 28-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #150
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Because sticking the name Sar Trek on the front guarantees an audience where something new has a harder job enticing audiences in.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #151
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

All these things add up to why I am not going to watch it.

Take all these points, add in a question or two - like what happened to the captains of the Enterprise before Kirk got command of it? (April and Pike), stir in some designs that make me think of a trendy wine bar rather than the nerve centre of a combat exploration vessel, simmer, and serve to a bunch of action orientated, immediate-need, dead from the neck up accountants as a sure-fire ratings winner in the cinemas based on the popularity of the mother show.

Boil all that down and you get the reason I will never watch it - it's just not 'my' Star Trek anymore. It's not too loud and garish, I'm too old to enjoy it!

In fact, the time I have on my hands now I am unemployed is mostly spent surfing the net looking for jobs then playing comuter games or modelling, and watching DVD's of my old favourite shows on a tablet DVD player set up on the side of my PC. I recently took my LCD TV into the lounge for my mother to watch as she has the TV on a lot of the time and this will reduce our energy consumption. I now have had the old CRT set in my bedroom for over a week and have not even plugged it in yet as I am so unenthused by almost anything that is shown these days.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #152
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

I'm not so sure that sticking the Star Trek name is a guaranteed money maker any more. I've no doubt this movie will do well, but a series is another thing. Enterprise really did badly and it was handed over to what was apparently a better producer later on by which time it was too late.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #153
Hawk
Communications Officer

I think Star Trek: Enterprise did badly, in part, because it wasn't different enough from the other series that preceeded it in any meaningful way. Still too much technobabble and not enough character. You don't have to have loads of SFX in every episode to have a good sci fi show. Just write a good story. If it needs SFX, so be it. But write a good character-driven story first.

I also think that they should have let Star Trek rest a couple of years after Voyager. They had just had a triple-play success with Next Gen, DS9, and Voyager, and the series needed a break. They had pushed their luck already and should have waited a bit before starting another series.
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:58 AM   #154
Hawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I agree, but I can also see Paramount's pov that they had a significant operation in place as a 'going concern', and that to stop using it for any length of time would mean losing it altogether. All the staff would've gone off and found other work.
A good point, but--by that time--some fresh blood probably wouldn't have hurt them any.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #155
Hawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I dunno... look what the 'fresh blood' has been doing with it recently...
Gonna wait to see the movie before I pass judgment on it. (Call me an optimist if you will..)

Old 02-03-2009, 03:52 AM   #156
CR
Science Officer

I'd usually like to wait to see a movie before passing judgement on it, but it has to get me to want to see it in the first place. ST fails in that regard. (Come to think of it, most movies do nowdays... I'm perfectly willing to wait for home video releases.)
And, as I've already admitted, I basically have passed judgement in advance on ST, for all the reasons I've listed here and on the ST... running for cover thread.
Having said all that, I do sincerely hope that those who see it enjoy themselves, though.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #157
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
I totally agree! Matter of fact, I was always curious as to what kind of difference it would make if they used Barry Gray's Year One score in Year Two episodes. Suprise! The movie they cobbled together from the episodes "Space Warp" & "The Metamorph" (aka "Cosmic Princess") which I recently saw, is actually scored using much of Gray's score! And, yes...it improved the episode a great deal! If you can find a copy of this "movie", you should check it out. I got my copy through the "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" UK fan club & they sell it. The quality's not great, and you can't really hear the dialogue with the banter going on but, you CAN see, hear & feel a difference with Gray's music. They should have just re-used it for Year 2 & gave Wadsworth (RIP) the boot!
I agree about the music making a big difference...I thought one of Series Two's draw backs (besides some badly written episodes and a plethora of rubber aliens) was the incidental music. Series One's orchestral soundtrack struck a definite mood...Barry Gray would have added a lot to Series Two's feel.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 AM   #158
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

For Wad-s-worth I think you're right David
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #159
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

LOL!

Dana