Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&
View Poll Results: What's your age?
4-9 years 1 0.47%
10-14 years 2 0.94%
15-19 years 5 2.36%
20-24 years 5 2.36%
25-29 years 2 0.94%
30-34 years 8 3.77%
35-39 years 31 14.62%
40-44 years 90 42.45%
45-49 years 56 26.42%
50-54 years 11 5.19%
55-59 years 1 0.47%
60-64 years 0 0%
65-69 years 0 0%
70-74 years 0 0%
75-79 years 0 0%
80+ years 0 0%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #81
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

We'd all be f***ed if we were in logan's run

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #82
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

True...true.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #83
Bruce
Medical Technician

The demographic makes a lot of sense when you consider that those who were at the best age to be impressed by S99 when it originally aired would be in their early to mid 40s by now. Oh, and consider a smidgen of mid-life crisis and pining for days long past of course...
Bruce is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #84
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
The demographic makes a lot of sense when you consider that those who were at the best age to be impressed by S99 when it originally aired would be in their early to mid 40s by now. Oh, and consider a smidgen of mid-life crisis and pining for days long past of course...
I don't think, at age 46, that I have EVER pined away for days gone past. One of the VERY few bright spots of my youth was my discovery of sci-fi, courtesy of Mr. Gerry Anderson & "Space:1999" in 1975 at age 14. Till that point, I had only occasionally watched an episode of "Star Trek". You see, I was into "real" space science & astronomy, the Moon in particular (it's usually the first thing people look at when they get their first telescope) & the Apollo program. When I heard about a new show based on the Moon, I was thrilled and, better still, not disappointed. Unlike mose sf fans, my love of sci-fi did NOT begin with "Star Trek"!
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #85
mrpsychopath
Communications Officer

Lightbulb

I at least seem to be in the most popular section, but I still feel about 7 when I see all these nice models and puppets on this forum LOL
mrpsychopath is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #86
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpsychopath View Post
I at least seem to be in the most popular section, but I still feel about 7 when I see all these nice models and puppets on this forum LOL
Agreed. It really helps take me back. Everytime I watch my "Space:1999" DVDs, I feel 30 years younger. Then the credits roll & reality creeps back in. Oh, booo!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #87
eagleman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
I don't think, at age 46, that I have EVER pined away for days gone past. One of the VERY few bright spots of my youth was my discovery of sci-fi, courtesy of Mr. Gerry Anderson & "Space:1999" in 1975 at age 14. Till that point, I had only occasionally watched an episode of "Star Trek". You see, I was into "real" space science & astronomy, the Moon in particular (it's usually the first thing people look at when they get their first telescope) & the Apollo program. When I heard about a new show based on the Moon, I was thrilled and, better still, not disappointed. Unlike mose sf fans, my love of sci-fi did NOT begin with "Star Trek"!
Essentially,that's the way it was with me. I was 11 in 1975 and I remember being awed by "Space:1999" and the special effects and storylines. My dad and brother were Trekkies,my dad still is, but I feel a special attachment to S99. I was also into telescopes and astronomy and loved looking at the Moon. I like "Star Trek" also but S99 will always have a special place with me.

Last edited by eagleman; 04-03-2009 at 05:41 PM.
eagleman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #88
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

24... Mike Delamar makes me feel relieved that I'm not the only youngster that knows more than is healthy about these shows
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #89
Name changed by request
Exile

We all get old but considering it was over 45 years ago that he was making his name Gerry Anderson aged considerably well as has his former wife Syvlia Anderson.
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #90
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleman View Post
Essentially,that's the way it was with me. I was 11 in 1975 and I remember being awed by "Space:1999" and the special effects and storylines. My dad and brother were Trekkies,my dad still is, but I feel a special attachment to S99. I was also into telescopes and astronomy and loved looking at the Moon. I like "Star Trek" also but S99 will always have a special place with me.
I thought "Space:1999" was a teriffic way to be introduced to sci-fi...I think it made me more "discriminating" as well as forgiving with whatever sci-fi came along afterwards. Trekkies, for example. They hoot & holler, bitch, moan & complain about this new "Star Trek" movie breaking with established continuity but, "Star Trek" in & of itself broke its' OWN continuity time & time again. Since "Space:1999" had a terrible history of continuity (its' title alone is ridiculous, it was in 1975, too) & I think that just adds to its' charm. It's not a detraction or a distraction. At least these shows made an honest effort to keep a timeline going. Even "Space:1999" started a "Captain's Log" of sorts in Year 2 (although it really fell out of synch as far as "Dragon's Domain" was concerned).

Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #91
Name changed by request
Exile

When Space 1999 came out in the UK the toy merchandise actually hit the shops before the broadcasts were made, something quite rare in those days.

As a mere boy I was in a toy shop looking at the Dinky toy Eagles, and thinking they were sort of models of ultra-modern offices you have on construction sites, we call them here in the UK Portacabins.

So when the shows hit the tv the jigsaw fell into place. Eagles are a great design and still stand the test of time.

- J
Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #92
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

looks very similar to Britains population pyramid scarily reminiscant of geography lessons about how the population is aging...it makes sense that most of you are in that age group, it is your childhood we are talking about (i was living your re-runs )
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #93
Name changed by request
Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaHGo View Post
looks very similar to Britains population pyramid scarily reminiscant of geography lessons about how the population is aging...it makes sense that most of you are in that age group, it is your childhood we are talking about (i was living your re-runs )
You young people you don't know you are born!

When I went to school I had no shoes or socks. I didn't even have legs - I had to borrow my neighbours!

At Christmas, I got a piece of coal for from Santa, a severe belting for breathing and we were always starving. Do you know what? These were the best years of our lives!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #94
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

'best years of our lives'
thats before taxes came in?
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #95
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Price View Post
You young people you don't know you are born!

When I went to school I had no shoes or socks. I didn't even have legs - I had to borrow my neighbours!

At Christmas, I got a piece of coal for from Santa, a severe belting for breathing and we were always starving. Do you know what? These were the best years of our lives!
I was in school during the height of the Disco craze. We were all surrounded by either denim & flannel clad, long-haired, would-be rock'n rollers (so, for all you youngins, we had the "Seattle Look" before most of your were probably born) or polyester/spandex clad fruits
who thought the BeeGees were the Holy Trinity. Needless to say, I was with the long-hairs who were actually the "intellectuals", hence my interest in sci-fi & astronomy (whoa, man...look at the stars & take a toke!). However, I didn't own Levis...my Dad was a cheapskate so, ALL of our clothes were purchased at either Sears or K-Mart. Plus, we'd have to have at LEAST six inches of snow on the ground before a snowday was declared. Now, these dumb-ass kids own $200 sneakers, don't know what a real book looks like, act like they've never heard of rubbers (all the 20-somethings I work with have at LEAST two kids and, oh yeah...they're unmarried!), and expect everything to be given to them. Oh, & don't ask them to spell anything longer than two syllables. Everyone says Obama's the Anti-Christ & will bring about the end of the world. I think these kids'll do it LOOONG before he has a chance to do that. They'll kill the world through sheer stupidity & total apathy. If they don't have all they're electronic gizmos, life's just NOT worth living. Call them "Generation Y-Bother".