Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-10-2005, 06:37 AM   #21
KrokoHunter
Travel Tube Technician

Hi Sky ...

Ply it is, then .... I'll propably won't start until November for 2 reasons.

1. I'm attending a competition the first weekend of November, and I hope to get some TB models done by then.

2. As you might know, I've just bought a car, and because the age of me and my better half (27 and 26), the size of the car (A Mitsubishi Space Star 1.6) and the fact that we're firsttime car-buyers, the insurrance for the first year amounts to the "fair" price (are you sitting ?? ) of roughly 1500 ..... therefor my money is a bit short right now ....

But I hope to get started in November.

Hi Chris.

Great about your colourdiscoveries. Loved the pictures of you sitting bend over the pod with the Pantone-card and the magnifyingglass.

Cheers
Niels
KrokoHunter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:38 AM   #22
KrokoHunter
Travel Tube Technician

As you can see, I'm no longer Chef ...

Who's Chef now ???? I hate to starve.

Cheers
Niels
KrokoHunter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #23
eimb1999
Eagle Pilot

My suggestion if you get new decals made, have them printed so you don't have to get them in sets of three sizes, but able to buy as many of just one size as you need. Much better than the old way.

Hey, BTW what should I do now with all the old sets that I still have here?

EjIMBo.

eimb1999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #24
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I could use four sets...
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #25
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I've made up brand new artwork referenced against a pristine example of an original decal. I've even simulated the very slight bleed that makes the typeface look "bolder" than it technically should do and the appropriate bleed has been incorporated into the 22" and 11" sizes also to match existing examples of those decals. The decal company (who make decals for Airfix) can produce results far in excess of the original printers and can accurately reproduce the imperfection of the originals included in my artwork. The colour has also now been nailed thanks to some cross referencing between models (apparently the sight of me crouched over Dave's passenger pod with a pantone reference amused some of you at the recent con). The sheets are now subdivided into same sized groups of six logos. Long story but there are small errors on some of the previous sheets due to circumstances beyong my control which I've always intended to remedy and now have. I should have the first batch towards the end of this month.

What I hadn't mentioned is that I'm also having waterslides made up of the long defunct Letraset symbols used on the models at both 44" and 22" size. This is based on my own brand new artwork generated in autocad by massively enlarging original Letraset, drawing fresh artwork and then reducing down again. I admit that these symbol designs are Letraset's copyright but I know from talking to them that although they can make new sheets up from the original bromides, it's hideously expensive and they don't like doing it (which is probably why it's so expensive) because it's such a pain that's not worth the effort from their point of view. It's also why I eased my conscience by having these done from my own artwork rather than merely sending the decal people actual Letraset. These are only technical markings for season one. I'm not including a suggested placement diagram as these markings constantly changed but there are sufficient of each for people to do their own thing based on whatever version they wish to model using readily available publicity photos.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #26
w8cmp
Science Officer

Wow sound like you've been busy Chris.

I'll be after some of your new sets of decals for the 44" and 22" when available please - both the new 'Alpha' markings and the 'Letraset' markings.

Just wondered if the Letraset decals will be too small when reduced to PE 11" scale ? Had you thought about going that small with these, or dismissed it as impractical...?

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2005, 10:11 AM   #27
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I took one look at how small they were going to be and dismissed the idea. You'd need a microscope to place most of them. It would be like putting those small technical stencils on a 1/144th scale F16. A lot of people can barely be bothered on a 1/48th scale F16.
Old 15-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #28
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I would be interested in a set of the 22" decals when they are ready, and no doubt the other Tony would want some too.

Speaking of which has he even bothered to register on here yet, I need to be having words with him again I think.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #29
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The artwork for the technical markings is now complete. I'll be sending it off tomorrow. I'm only having the minimum done (25 sheets) because I think it's a limited interest thing. My initial intention was purely to have markings that I knew to exist at just one particular point of time but in the end I opted for a broader range of markings that includes some that appear in later season one publicity too. As a result, the sheet has almost doubled in size and covers an A5 (half of A4) with a few spares of each and that's just for the 44" version. On the same A4 artwork, just under half of what's left is taken up by the 22" versions (also good for the 23" model when it comes out - technically very slightly undersized but not really a serious accuracy issue considering the model). The last quarter is taken up with some of the less important but still hard to source sundry decorative tapes which I'll detail nearer the time once they're printed. I've not included things like the orange/red markings because they're easily produced by traditional means and the extra colour adds an unnecessary expense. It's purely all the little technical letraset style stencils that are impossible to get including a choice of that little circular marking on the CM Brian Johnson added that Mark tried to claim credit for.

Anyway because of the large size and very small number run, once the camera work and screens are made up, the large sheets are going to have to be about 7.50 to cover all the costs and the smaller 22" version will be 4.00. Remember these are proper silk screen printed waterslides and NOT ALPS printed decals which fade. As mentioned there will only be 25 available of each size.

By contrast, the Moonbase Alpha decals will only be 2.50 for the 44" size including postage to the UK and there should be no danger of running out of those for quite a while. The smaller ones I've yet to price but obviously they'll be cheaper still.
Old 17-10-2005, 10:05 AM   #30
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

WOW, I'll take one of each. Who knows where I'll go in the future
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #31
w8cmp
Science Officer

Chris - please put me down for one of each of the 'Letraset' sheets and 2 of the new colour corrected Alpha logo sheets (for all sizes of Eagle please).

Let me know how you want payment and I'll get it off to you...

Cheers

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 04:14 PM   #32
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Just spoke to the printers and hopefully both the Alpha decals AND the markings will be ready by the end of the month.