Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #21
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Default Another Church, another art robbery

Another church, another art dealer. The finished Investigator car (with spares to add on the rear back) in the second ep. The handbrake turn was rather violent so sorry about the blurred image of the rear of the car.

From this (photo by ebay seller)

To this

It must be said that Dinky's attempt to disguise this car makes it look dreadful, where as in its original guise it almost looks decent.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #22
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I've put a link to the blog that has all three parts listed. Its sometimes hard to find the three on utube itself. A bit of fun but not a winner.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Excellent work Tony. Looks great. If the show had become a 'goer' I am sure the toy would have looked like this. Colourful and appealing on the eye. Top class stuff!!
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #24
yarvelling
Computer Technician

I doubt it Jim....you know what Dinky were like - make a nice model and then muck it up with ridiculous paint...it would have probably stayed green! Dinky seemed to have an awful lot of green, except when it came to Thunderbird 2!!
Tony...that looks great; top-notch job!
Steve.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #25
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Two final shots with the spare wheels installed.

Old 13-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #26
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Wow, Tony, great! I did know the Dinky Model but never really knew about the Invstigator. Amazing how your work changed the whole model into something valuable.

Last edited by Transporter; 16-03-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #27
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Very nice job Tony. A great addition to your collection of refurbs/upgrades and certainly proof positive of how nice these things can look. Lovely stuff.
Old 16-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #28
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Tony42, after seeing your great model job, I just could not resist to watch the movie on youtube and finally to buy a Dinky armoured car on ebay. Did you have other reference material apart from the youtube movie?
Old 16-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #29
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

I posted a shot for Tony of the car on display at an exhibition too. Here is the link. I think Tony did some very nice work on this Dinky.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=7932

BTW The exhibition was probably 15 years back in Wolverhampton and was very good too!
Old 16-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #30
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

If you go to the blog I linked to on the other thread you'll see a few stills from the video, otherwise it was the photo stuff that you can see that Jim mentions.

The main trick is to remember to file off the headlights before you put coats of paint on. I also inserted plastic rod in the two side holes where the Aeriel and machine gun had been (either side of the driver passenger compartment) before painting too. These give you something to drilled into once the painting is complete. PM if you have questions or start an thread and ask away there.

Old 16-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #31
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Thanks Jim and Tony. I will probably take it a step forward and try to make it as accurate as possible. But for Tony's perfect Dinky version I would suggest to make a "gift set" together with the Dinky amphibious coastguard car/boat. I probably could provide a custom "Investigator"-box...
Old 20-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #32
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Just received my Dinky Armoured Command Car. Still amazed how heavy it is - compared to toy cars from today. On the inner side of the body it is clearly written Armoured Command Investigator Car. I will go to hunt ten matching wheels down and hope to find something that looks like those on the Investigator car prop.
Old 20-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #33
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Post some photos when you can. The cast "Investigator car"/ Inv car stuff all over the body is really quite amazing. It shows how keen they were to pick up the next GA franchise agreement. The fact that they made the car and the boat on speck before he'd even got the thing flying may give some indication as to why it all finally folded. Hasty decisions. Who knows. Anyway, really looking forward to what you make of this.

Watch the spot lights on the roof either side of the dish, mine are still too big though they suit the cut down dish I've used. I'd forget the spark action stuff at the front and either ditch the whole internal mechanism so that you lose the lever on the left of the car, and fix the front hatch in place. Also don't forget to glue some spruce from a model kit into the aeriel holes each side of the cabin so that you can easily mount some new aerials... gives you something to drill into and to fill the two gaping holes with. I use Becco's trick of supergluing some plastic to the underside of the holes on the rear deck to provide a backing for filler. The two forward holes on the rear deck you can leave as they are because they are covered by the spare tyres. I actually drilled new holes to mount these tyres as the forward holes are just too far forward on the deck.
Old 20-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #34
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Thanks for your hints, Tony. I will certainly look for the new wheels first, then strip the colour, then cut/file off all the unnecessary stuff like the lower front lights etc. Will keep you posted (well this is a "side" project - actually I am building a 44" Nuclear Waste Cargo Pod, so don't be dissapointed when it takes some time....).