Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
paul gray
Forum Supporter

Default THE PERSUADERS

i have been having a trawl on you tube and found a couple of good persuaders videos. the first is the theme tune which i still think is absolutely brilliant and brings back many memories of what i thought as a youngster was a really great programme. the second is a fan made trailer of what i think would be a great cast for a new version and a good slant on the theme tune.when i think of all the great 70's tv only a handful have been made into films and all of them weren't a patch on the originals. so what ones should be re imagined and who should play the leads?
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
paul gray
Forum Supporter

the mission impossible films have done well financially ,but this is the only one i can think of. the avengers bombed and lost in space despite some good fx didn't do well at the box office. i didn't like the new take on randall and hopkirk,played to much for laughs.
cheers Paul

paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
otis
Medical Technician

from a french add :

otis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
copernicus
Medical Technician

Default Randell & Hopkirk

I actually enjoyed the two series that the BBC made and although some of the episodes were light hearted, there were quite a few that were very dark indeed.
copernicus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Randall & Hopkirk (new) - I liked most of them. let's face it anything with Tom Baker acting bonkers is a winner with me.

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul gray View Post
i have been having a trawl on you tube and found a couple of good persuaders videos. the first is the theme tune which i still think is absolutely brilliant and brings back many memories of what i thought as a youngster was a really great programme.
I was a big fan of the Persuaders too. Moore and Curtis really worked well together, and as you say, the them tune was awesome. But thats typical John Barry. Wasnt it the most expensive show ever at that time or something ?
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzac View Post
I was a big fan of the Persuaders too. Moore and Curtis really worked well together, and as you say, the them tune was awesome. But thats typical John Barry. Wasnt it the most expensive show ever at that time or something ?
No. I believe that remained Thunderbirds until Space 1999 pipped it...
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

I see there actually is a remake in the plans with Hugh Grant and George Clooney, produced by Ben Stiller. IMDB says 2011 but you need a IMDBPro to find out more. I read the details on the WIKI page for the series.

Barely remember this series as a kid of 6-7 but did watch it... right up there with Avengers and The Saint reruns around that time, all of which I enjoyed...
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Second time lucky !

Last edited by Air Terrainean; 18-03-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Didn't make sense !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzac View Post

Or even -

More information about 'The Persuaders !' here -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/me...ct-411037.html

If the budget quoted in the article is correct, at 2.5 million (about 100,000 per episode), the series cost almost twice as much as Thunderbirds, which had a budget of about 40,000 for each of the 32 episodes. Per episode, The Prisoner was also more expensive than Thunderbirds, each Prisoner episode reportedly costing between 50,000 and 75,000.

Old 15-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Default Big Money!

I read somewhere (years ago) that Curtis was keen to do the series (fading Hollywood star) but Moore (new bond) wasn't-until Lew Grade got his check book out & reportedly wrote moore a cheque for 1 million!!! Don't know if this was true, but nice story.

Cheers Wayne.
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

The Persuaders was a real clash of the ego's!

Grade told Moore and Curtis individually that 'he' would be the star. Then one week Curtis's name would be first, the next Moores- and so on .
I remember watching this program in the 70's and I loved it (I was , but watching it back a few years ago I was disappointed in the extreme- it's S***!
The banter between Curtis & Moore is great. But the scripts are laughable!
John Barry's music though, is fantastic!

R & H deceased on the other hand is great, I'm loving it's re-runs on ITV4.
In fact of all the old ITC shows the Persuaders is proberbly the worst!
A great idea badly executed.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectors House View Post
of all the old ITC shows the Persuaders is proberbly the worst! A great idea badly executed.
You possibly haven't seen Jason King... Or The Adventurer...
Old 31-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

I watched the series on DVD about two years ago and thought it was pretty good, bar a couple of naff episodes. Saying its the worst ITC show can only mean that you haven't seen them all, as AT says try Jason King. Personally I would still put it in the top half but Randall & Hopkirk was always my favourite non-Anderson show.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

I've never watched all of the episodes, but I found them quite entertaining. Perhaps a bit slow by today's standards but the interaction between Curtis and Moore was fun.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote