Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #121
David
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
Please keep us informed of your progress, David.
Will do. Expect some news over easter because that's when I'm shooting this collapsing building.

Speaking of that, does anyone know if it would work to make a plaster wall from a latex mould about 4 feet by 6 feet? The plaster would also be made quite crumbly. Do you think that would work without it falling apart? Any one done any plaster or rubber mould work before?
David is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #122
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Mix Vermiculite into the plaster (available at garden centres). The more you put in, the crumblier it gets. Also, experiment with adding baking flour into the plaster powder to further weaken it. If you get the sort of plaster used for plastering walls, it's cheaper than plaster of paris and gives you a lot longer working time.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #123
David
Astrophysics Technician

Cheers DX-SFX! Do you reckon making the walls in a latex cast about 4 feet by 6 feet would work?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #124
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Casting plaster in latex is very common. I assume you're trying to avoid the expense of silicone?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #125
David
Astrophysics Technician

It was more the large size of the cast (4f by 6t) I was concerned about. I was worried that it would be difficult to remove the wall from the cast without it breaking and everything, especially with it being designed to crumble easily. Think it would be okay? Is silicone better in any way than latex?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #126
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I'd be inclined to poor the mix, let it set, lay a sheet of plywood behind it then turn it over onto the plywood. It should then be a simple task peeling off the latex skin. Ironically, it might be good if it breaks. You can always assemble it in situ knowing it's going to break easily again. It really depends what type of wall it is.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #127
David
Astrophysics Technician

Cool, thanks for the advice DX, I'll let ya know how it goes!
Old 18-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #128
David
Astrophysics Technician

Not exactly Sci-fi I know, but since I posted behind-the-scenes pics of that other forest shot I did, I thought I'd post a couple of this one too. I wish I could post actual frames or even put the animation on youtube but since it's not my film I can't go doing that. However the film might be getting shown on BBC one, so unless the shots get cut from the edit, you'll be able to see the results there.

The shot was to show the characters dream of an analogue radio being eaten by "digital' robots...

So I made a "replica" of the radio that appears in the film out of balsa wood...

The fact it was made from Balsa wood meant that it could be easily carved and "eaten" away between frames...

Old 18-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #129
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Those little digital bastards.... very convincing radio. Wish we could see this great work in AU. At least its a possibility in the UK. Good stuff David.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #130
David
Astrophysics Technician

Cheers Tony!

Old 18-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #131
David
Astrophysics Technician

JD said...

"Fullfilling a brief faster is always preferable to delivering higher quality. Doing more than you were asked (going beyond a brief) is a double-edged sword. The production might be over the moon, or they might be enraged that you've put effort into something that will not show on-screen. Effort that you could have spent on something to mutual benefit.

In short, it's a minefield! Obviously I don't have it all sorted, or I'd still be working in the industry today!

They say you learn more from your mistakes than from your achievements. Believe me, I 'learned' a LOT!!

and DX-SFX said...

"JD speaks wisely. They want only what they asked for but most importantly, delivered on time. The average production accountant wouldn't recognise quality anyway. The overall cost is their bottom line and how many scenes of sufficient quality they can film for the money is their priority. There is only X amount of money. One way gets them a completed film with mediocre FX they can get a return on, the other gives them an incomplete film with good FX that's used up all the money and no way to recoup the cost."

I can now relate to exactly what you guys were talking about here. I was supposed to shoot that collapsing building shot I was talking about over easter. I really want it to look spectacular, of course, and I decided to go for it and designed the set at 1/4th scale. I still think that this is the best scale for the shot. However, I have no experience at working at this sort of scale, and I completely underestimated how much of an undertaking it would be. I'm used to working on a scale where I can see everything sitting on my desk in front of me, but the construction for this set was so big that it was more like heavy duty construction than the delicate model making I'm used to.

Anyway, we didn't get the set finished in time to shoot that week, and so I will be going back in a few weeks time to finish it. Not only that, but I spent much more of the budget than I should have. Of course, none of this was my intention, and I feel pretty bad at how it's worked out. However, as JD said "you learn more from your mistakes than from your achievements," and this has been a BIG lesson for me.

I'm still confident that the shot will look cool when it's done, but obviously you can't work this way in the professional world so I'll think differently next time.

The director is understanding though, because he knows I am inexperienced and was simply being ambitious and enthusiastic.

Hopefully in a months time I'll have a good shot of a miniature building collapsing.
Old 19-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #132
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The shot was to show the characters dream of an analogue radio being eaten by "digital' robots...

So I made a "replica" of the radio that appears in the film out of balsa wood...

The fact it was made from Balsa wood meant that it could be easily carved and "eaten" away between frames...
Wonderful irony that it's probably easier to use old style miniatures to create this shot, than to do it digitally !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #133
David
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Wonderful irony that it's probably easier to use old style miniatures to create this shot, than to do it digitally !
hehe thats true!