Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #161
Wookiee
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
Never mind who he is, someone ought to have told him to try again once he starts shaving!

I will be very interested how he can play one of the most experienced beings in the universe when he ought to be looking off-camera at his mommy all the time! This is why the late Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker were so good in the role, they were able to pull off - in different ways - the whole 'alien intelligence' thing and the maturity of the character. It is quite easy to act less mature than you actually are, but a heck of a lot harder to make out you are more mature than you are unless you are mature in the first place!

It's a shame that I have been put off 'new Who' due to the stories of late. At the time Stephen Moffatt is taking over and I can expect the stories to take a serious hike in quality back to the level of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances or Girl in the Fireplace, the doctor changes to a guy who looks like he took acting as an option and has taken this role to get off school for a skive!
Yes to all you sad. He is to to young for the role!
Wookiee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #162
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
Yes to all you sad. He is to to young for the role!
Yes - but putting an old person in the role (eg similar age to Hartnell when he was the Doctor) would not grab the young generation of today.
Look at a lot of the UK Saturday night Shows at present - eg Primeaval (ie young cast).
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #163
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

I can see what you are saying, Space1899. And part of my disliking the guy is certainly the fact that he is not the guy I would have chosen. However, as I had no say in who was chosen, I would like to think it is a small part.

I am also looking forward to seeing the show in 2010. I believe that, not to belittle the actor, that the better the story is written, the less the actor cast has to be exactly how you want him ( i.e. you can forgive little slips of character, inconsistencies, wobbly sets, etc. if the story is good.) I look forward to seeing how well the team do next year and will certainly give them all a good chance to keep me watching.

Oh, and as to who I would have chosen, take a look at the webcast of "Scream of the Shalka" on the BBC Dr Who website, and tell me that Richard E. Grant would not have done well by both classic and 'New Who'!
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #164
dukedexter
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Oh, and as to who I would have chosen, take a look at the webcast of "Scream of the Shalka" on the BBC Dr Who website, and tell me that Richard E. Grant would not have done well by both classic and 'New Who'!
A lot of people's choice, mine too - but I'm sure he's stated he's completely indifferent to the series (I think he grew up in Africa), and doesn't want it. I'd bet he's already been approached.

I would have preferred an older Doctor too but I'll settle for the v. good writer. For an old f@rt like me, that's probably the best I'll get from New Who.
dukedexter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #165
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Wonder if Zack Efron would have considered the role.
That would have captured a huge quantity of young fans, following on from all the High School Musical frenzy !!!
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #166
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Yes - but putting an old person in the role (eg similar age to Hartnell when he was the Doctor) would not grab the young generation of today.
Phillip Glenister, AKA 'Gene Hunt', is 46 - not ancient but not exactly a youngster - and I'm aware of teens & 20-somethings who love his work. Maybe he's the exception that proves the rule.

REG probably would have been a great TV Doctor, but frankly I'd have liked to see him as the Master!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #167
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

He's probably too 'big' for the role nowadays, but someone like Clive Owen could pull it off. Then again, at one time I wished he would have been Bond as well.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #168
EMPEROR DALEK D L
Travel Tube Technician

I would have liked to see Paul Mcgann do more...while the movie is poor he was very good IMHO...one outing was not enough. You could have got away with it because the movie isn't really in the visual cannon of DR Who.

Regards E D D L
EMPEROR DALEK D L is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #169
Wookiee
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPEROR DALEK D L View Post
I would have liked to see Paul Mcgann do more...while the movie is poor he was very good IMHO...one outing was not enough. You could have got away with it because the movie isn't really in the visual cannon of DR Who.

Regards E D D L
Yes he made a very good Doctor, some of the Big Finish CD with him as the Doctor are very good.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #170
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Look at a lot of the UK Saturday night Shows at present - eg Primeaval (ie young cast).
That would mean watching ITV 1 on Saturday night, no one does that!
Century21Slough is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #171
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

classic" Who ( as it now seems to be called) Is the Shakespeare of TV sci fi, new Who is like the Hollyoaks of TV sci fi, nice to look at but keep the sound down and don't bother with a plot! I think it comes down to the fact it lacks the "charm" of the classic. (its still a lot better than ITVs Demons though!)
Century21Slough is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #172
Wookiee
Astrophysics Technician

Default Missing Dr Who

Missing Dr Who stories, DVD covers, some guys are out in space when it come's to Dr Who you will see what I mean,have a look at this? www.mondas42.co.uk

you are not a Time Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #173
Wookiee
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
I can see what you are saying, Space1899. And part of my disliking the guy is certainly the fact that he is not the guy I would have chosen. However, as I had no say in who was chosen, I would like to think it is a small part.

I am also looking forward to seeing the show in 2010. I believe that, not to belittle the actor, that the better the story is written, the less the actor cast has to be exactly how you want him ( i.e. you can forgive little slips of character, inconsistencies, wobbly sets, etc. if the story is good.) I look forward to seeing how well the team do next year and will certainly give them all a good chance to keep me watching.

One big if is are their going to move the making of the new Dr Who to Pinewood and get out of Wales?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #174
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
Missing Dr Who stories, DVD covers, some guys are out in space when it come's to Dr Who you will see what I mean,have a look at this? www.mondas42.co.uk

you are not a Time Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone I know saw one of those sites with 'alternative' covers and ones for stories still to be released, and it was a Cyberman story, Attack of the Cybermen maybe, a third or fourth Doctor story and they were frustrated why no shop could get it. Some of the alternatives are quite nice, the Remembrance of the Daleks ordinary cover is rather dull I must admit and the alternative does look the part.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #175
Wookiee
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
Someone I know saw one of those sites with 'alternative' covers and ones for stories still to be released, and it was a Cyberman story, Attack of the Cybermen maybe, a third or fourth Doctor story and they were frustrated why no shop could get it. Some of the alternatives are quite nice, the Remembrance of the Daleks ordinary cover is rather dull I must admit and the alternative does look the part.

I think the covers graet, but the art work on the Big Finish Cd cases are graet still.
www.bigfinish.com

You are not a Time Lord yet!!