Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #121
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Actually, the two Phoenixes wouldn't collide since they would both take the lowest energy path which would be along the Earth's orbital path and we know that both Earths are travelling the same way round the sun
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #122
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Even if Pheonix went by the direct route the flight path would be a mirror so they would effectively pass on the opposite sides of the sun.

Personally, I have never got to hung-up the plot shortcomings - there are plenty worse out there...

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #123
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Which is why the mirror image thing is rubbish (amongst other things). As a plotline, I could see it sitting comfortably as an XL5 episode but for an 'adult' audience, it was asking to be dismissed. Only the visual style and production values saves it from being a fifties B movie.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #124
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Actually, the two Phoenixes wouldn't collide since they would both take the lowest energy path which would be along the Earth's orbital path and we know that both Earths are travelling the same way round the sun
And that, MkIXHawk, is why you're an Astrophysics technician and I'm a chef.

But seriously, I agree the premise can't be logically defended which makes me think they may have been better off going down the psychological thriller route where Ross's claims of things being reversed is a symptom of a breakdown induced by his decision to turn back, crashing, and killing his friend Kane. But on the other hand that would be very dull, with the new planet remaining a mystery, and we wouldn't see lots of things blow up real good in the end.

And you'd have to retitle it 'Journey Halfway to the Far Side of the Sun'
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #125
SC100B
Weapons Technician

Quote:
doing the exact same things at the exact same moments? That's just insanity.
Especially as Ross was supposed to have been to Mars. He would have already have bumped into his doppelgänger there!
SC100B is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #126
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
Especially as Ross was supposed to have been to Mars. He would have already have bumped into his doppelgänger there!
Good point!

I couldn't understand why they implied that they were investigating the far side of the Sun as if it had never been seen. And how slow was he to realise everything was reversed? Jacket insignia on the wrong side, getting in the wrong side of the car etc. And what about their medical staff. A cursory examination would have found the heart on the opposite side.

I know sometimes you have to suspend belief for some films, but this was over the top! Not one of Gerry's better ideas!

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #127
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
I can remember ITV flipping the last reel and thinking exactly the same thing.
When I first saw it on Tv - YTV, in a mid-morning 1974 Christmas slot - the reels were true to the original at that point.

The first time I recall noticing the wrongly flipped reel was circa 1985 on HTV - I seem to think is was an Easter showing. The wrongly reeled version played across the ITV network thereafter, presumably until thier rights to air the film expired. I know some of the more recent cable airings have the reel correctly reversed.

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 10-10-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Typo's - what else
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #128
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

There are so many good points in this thread, but two stand out for me:

Phil: 'I've always thought that aliens in UFO coming to Earth to harvest organs was silly - how could alien physiology be so identical?'

It wouldn't (and couldn't) be: introducing a human organ into an alien body would be fatal.* You could only make it stick by introducing a 'BSG'-style backstory about how 'them is us' (apologies to Walt Kelly).

Your argument tends to disprove most of the crapola we hear about 'alien abductions', by the way.

However... the later episodes of 'UFO' indicated the aliens had no physical form, and the schmucks with green skin were just 'vessels' - the aliens were equally at home in the body of a domestic cat. So, maybe, 'UFO' just remains in the realm of the plausible in this regard.

SC100B: 'Ross was supposed to have been to Mars. He would have already have bumped into his doppelgänger there!'

You win the 'That's brilliant, I never thought of that' prize. A startlingly clear-sighted remark that - like most good ideas - seems obvious in hindsight. I hope you're employed as a police detective.

And yet... as Tim Smith and Saturnapollo said, it's the eye candy that grabs you! I think it's called 'willing suspension of disbelief'. I wouldn't accept these sort of inconsistencies in, say, a war film, but we're talking about highly stylised '60s SF. And... I'm afraid I take it on its own merits.

* Captain Jack Harkness fans can stop sniggering right now.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #129
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC100B View Post
May be they landed on opposite sides !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #130
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Old 10-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #131
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Another variation on the theme (stick with it !)

Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #132
Phil
Geological Technician

This film is down to a fiver on Play.com. For all it's faults, it's got to worth a punt at that price.
Phil is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #133
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC100B
May be they landed on opposite sides !
And is it possible the trip to Mars mentioned in the film didn't happen at the same time? I can't remember if they said it did, but Mars is not like a mirror planet to Earth. We know it orbits at a different speed to us, so wouldn't it make sense that 'our' mission takes place when Mars is closest to us, and 'their' mission would take place when Mars is closest to them, either half a Martian year before or after 'ours'?
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #134
Wookiee
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
And is it possible the trip to Mars mentioned in the film didn't happen at the same time? I can't remember if they said it did, but Mars is not like a mirror planet to Earth. We know it orbits at a different speed to us, so wouldn't it make sense that 'our' mission takes place when Mars is closest to us, and 'their' mission would take place when Mars is closest to them, either half a Martian year before or after 'ours'?
You have to ask SIR PATRICK MOORE?
Wookiee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #135
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post

As a concept, it's not even internally consistent, let alone the factual science. Electricity flows down a cable from live to earth no matter which side the terminal is on. If the planet is a mirror image of ours, why is it orbiting around the Sun in the same direction? There would be eclipses at different times depending on which planet you were on. Shouldn't there be two moons or one planet would lack tides and therefore a completely differently evolved wildlife. If there are tides, they would be different since the two moons would presumably be orbiting in the same direction too yet the planet would be turning on it's axis in a different direction which would bugger up which direction sunrise and sunset occur. It doesn't really get out of the starting blocks from a story point of view. It's all hokum smoothed over by great visuals.
Repeated for newcomers. The film somewhat buggers up the book of Genesis too.

Old 21-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #136
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote