Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #101
AceMartini
Communications Officer

AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 12:50 AM   #102
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
Do you have extra Alpha crests for the CM, by the way?
Well, I have gone and bought a set off ebay that says they are compatible with the ERTL model. We'll see. Bugs is preparing for some summer activities, so it might be a week before we can wrap this project up.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #103
Bugs
Alphan

The cricket family is back with yet another installment of 'brainwashing the kiddies' into becoming S99 fans. This time round it's Bugs' Big Sister who is the subject of the experiment. We have a new kit, a fancy SAW CM and lots of greeblies (thanks CR!!).

On to the show...

First off, everything is checked against the instructions and carefully washed. I must admit to overlooking this part the first time round.

Once all was accounted for and carefully dried, mum trimmed off all the nubbly bits and then kid glued subassemblies:

Close up of the SAW CM, all kitted out next to the front cage courtesy of CR.

And that is where we stand for today. Once the glue is set we will revisit the pieces to scrape off any excess glue and fill in any imperfections. Actually, we were pretty pleased at how smooth this went.

(For those who followed the last 'experiment', Son's ERTL Eagle turned out more than satisfactory. I'll get a picture of it for posting a little later on.)
Bugs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 04:49 AM   #104
CR
Science Officer

Cool, Big Sister... have fun!

Ah... and, well, since I'm being mentioned, I'll chime in with some details about that SAW CM...
Last year, while Bugs was working on his Eagle, cricket had asked me for some advice about replacing her own kit's CM with a SAW CM. One thing led to another, and she sent me her Eagle parts & the SAW CM for me to modify. Rather than just do all the work & send it back to her, I got the modifications to a 'halfway there' stage, so that she & Bugs could see how I did it and try to replicate the process if they so chose. I also left seam filing & other finishing work up to them.
Flash forward to a month or so ago, when cricket announced that Big Sister was interested in building an AMT Eagle as well, and I sent her an Eagle kit to get started. Lo and behold, Big Sister will be using the SAW-modified version on her kit! (Can't be outdone by Bugs, I suppose, eh?)

Anyway, it's been fun lending a helping hand behind the scenes for a new generation of S99 fans! (One of these days, I should post pics of my own son's Eagle, but it got damaged in our last move & he's yet to repair it.)

Oh, cricket & family, watch out for that giant cat in the first pic! Felines make short work of Eagles!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #105
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Very interesting, especially that "Brainwashing the kiddies"...
...but aren't you working on a model of your avatar?
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #106
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That's great stuff. Yes we need to see the final results with Bug's efforts.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #107
cricket
Medical Officer

Okay, phase two. Actually, this happened last weekend but the onset of a new school year and an small ongoing family crisis has delayed posting. (Our eldest cat is slowly but inexorably dying from kidney failure. This is the cat who 'raised' my two kids and for that alone he deserves whatever he needs to be kept comfortable. We're spending as much time with him as we can. Unlike many cats I have been owned by, this old man is not pulling away at the end, but still wants to be held and cuddled. A special animal indeed.)

However, life does go on and Bug's Sister has been pushing to have these posted to share her progress.

On goes the primer. The concept of 'not too close!' is a hard one to master.

On goes the silver for the engines. And if I do say so myself, the finished product looks more authentic than a certain 23 inch replica I could mention...

Old 29-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #108
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Looking good there, and sad news about that cat, hopefully he doesn't suffer too much.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #109
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Yes, give your cat all the hugs and attention he wants. I'm sorry to hear about this.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #110
Northerner
Communications Officer

give your cat a hug for me, they are special animals and i dont know what i would do without mine!
Northerner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #111
cricket
Medical Officer

Thank you all for your kind wishes. It never fails to amaze me how close we become to these small animals. Our other cats are almost sitting a vigil around the room right now just watching. It's downright eerie. We have a wonderful vet who subscribes to palliative care so we have tiny doses of liquid narcotics that we give to keep him comfortable. He's still awake and even purrs on occasion, but it's obvious we are counting the days. That's him in the photo above watching while the Eagle pieces were washed.
Old 30-08-2008, 02:56 AM   #112
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Okay, phase two. Actually, this happened last weekend but the onset of a new school year and an small ongoing family crisis has delayed posting. (Our eldest cat is slowly but inexorably dying from kidney failure. This is the cat who 'raised' my two kids and for that alone he deserves whatever he needs to be kept comfortable. We're spending as much time with him as we can. Unlike many cats I have been owned by, this old man is not pulling away at the end, but still wants to be held and cuddled. A special animal indeed.)

However, life does go on and Bug's Sister has been pushing to have these posted to share her progress.

On goes the primer. The concept of 'not too close!' is a hard one to master.

On goes the silver for the engines. And if I do say so myself, the finished product looks more authentic than a certain 23 inch replica I could mention...

Say, Cricket, since you will soon have an all new Eagle carefully and lovingly made by hand, and an improvement over the 23", why not get that 23" eyesore out of the house? I'll pay postage!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 04:14 AM   #113
CR
Science Officer

Nice work, Big Sister!

My condolences about the cat, cricket. PM sent.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #114
Rdrunner
Eagle Pilot

Your kids are doing a great job . I wish mine would do the same, darn video games

My sympathies for your cat, it is tough loosing something that is a part of your family
Rdrunner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #115
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

The Eagle is looking good, cricket...I really regret hearing about your kitty too.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #116
crowe-t
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
OK, a while back, I posted a link to the one and only photo I knew about of my 12" Eagle. The model was built out-of-box, just to show how a semi-decent paint job could make this often ill-regarded kit look good, or at least look somewhat OK. The pic I'd found was from a local model club's contest and is still here:
http://thegluecrew.com/2003show/pics/77.jpg

As some of you may have figured out from my avatar & pics of Airfix astronauts I recently posted, I finally have access to a digital camera. I thought I'd post a few other pics of that Eagle, though I'm afraid the pics aren't the greatest due to harsh lighting & my not being able to get in too close without losing sharpness.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle01.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle02.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle03.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle04.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle05.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle06.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle07.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle08.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle09.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle10.jpg

When cricket first introduced herself, she'd asked about what kit to build when starting off in this Eagle-centric model building hobby, and I'd suggested this model, even with all its faults, just because of its simplicity. So, these are for her and anyone else interested in building this old kit, in hopes that they can inspire some creativity for your own Eagle assembly. (Assuming you can find one, of course.)

Cheers!

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that the astronaut has gone missing, which is why the new pics are devoid of him (or her). It was converted from a "1/96" scale Glencoe re-release of an old Lindberg lunar lander model (the one with the stacked spheres held together by a framework). I stated the scale in paretheses because the figures actually seem closer to 1/110 scale or thereabouts, but the Glencoe designation is 1/96.
Also, just a reminder to anyone viewing my Eagle pics... the model is spray painted, not airbrushed, with hand painted details, and I still don't have accurate decals to put on it! The landing pad is converted from a large car display case, minus the acrylic cover. (Yeah, I know, it's too red compared to 'real' Alpha landing pads.)
I want to build one of the AMT Eagles. It'll be my first Eagle and I figured the AMT kit, while not the most accurate, will be a good start.

You did a great job on your AMT Eagle!
crowe-t is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote