Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #21
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Thanks Janus! BTW, where did you find that stormtrooper smilie?
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #22
janus5
Geological Technician

Its here, when you post a reply with all the smilies on the left, there is a link at the bottom with [more]. Just click it, & scroll through them.
janus5 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #23
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

I don't want to put down any of the work I have seen here on the Finemoulds Millenium Falcon kits that have been done because I think they have been really good, but I came across this last night and it made me so glad I have not started mine yet. This is an amazing thread on the SSM forums, and I will probably join them as well if this is the sort of detail they generally go to. Even though I have not looked at the full thread yet, look at the picture links he has supplied, they are well worth the viewing! These are the first 2 pictures of his work, the thread is well worth the read, and I have linked it at the bottom of this post. This guy takes even the FM Falcon to another level.

Japanese guy IMPROVES FM Falcon
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 AM   #24
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Well it does appear that he has tackled pretty much all the shortcomings I noticed when I built my kit. The FineMolds kit isn't 100% dead nuts accurate to the studio model as there are some single bit errors on it and they are all over the place. But for my purposes, it suffices and it was worth the money I spent. I can't tell though if he corrected the lack of toe in on the mandibles though (at least not from the picture angles I see, but he probably did). The work he is doing on the engine deck is BEYOND insane though! He's adding stuff above and beyond what any of the studio models had. It looks GREAT, but man that is NUTS. Japanese modelers do tend to take things to the Nth degree and this is no exception. I'm just glad he's letting us follow along during the build.

It all boils down to what makes this a hobby for us. For me, I do like involved projects, but there do come times when I want to just work with the kit I have to achieve what I can without diving into a serious case of AMS (Advanced Modelers Syndrome for the uninitiated, a phrase coined by US modelers to describe the obsession to add more details to a model to make it look just a little/lot more accurate to the subject). I've also had plenty of models that I did loads of work to ending up looking less then stellar in the paint phase. Paint and weathering can make or break a model IMHO as a hyper detailed model can look just as good or bad as one built OOB if both are painted the same way.

I look at the amount of time he has in that model and it still is not done as more stuff gets added (two years and counting by the thread). By comparison, the Falcon I built essentially OOB I considered a long project for myself as I did construction over a 1 1/2 month period in marathon fashion with about 1 to 2 hours devoted to it a night in June/July before I shelved it for a bit. Paintwork took me about maybe three weeks spread out over a five month period (December to April).

Sometimes I just have to sit down and finish a project once in awhile or else it just languishes on the work bench or in a box as another half finished project. It has also been said that models are never finished, but rather they are abandoned as the builder decides he has done enough. In my case, I am very proud of what I have accomplished with my Falcon as I now have the model of the Millennium Falcon that I have always wanted.

Last edited by JMChladek; 11-05-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #25
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

For all the cleverness you have to ask why one would add more to the ship than is on the studio models.... perhaps its a sister ship and Han got the base model version. Not a comment on the skill BTW. As I said, it looks amazing... but
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #26
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

An immaculate build and paintup. Well done ! I've a thirty year old Falcon falling to pieces in my cupboard. This Finemold kit is a true beauty in comparisson. You've worked hard to get the detailing so finely done. The cabin looks excellent.
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #27
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known Space View Post
An immaculate build and paintup. Well done ! I've a thirty year old Falcon falling to pieces in my cupboard. This Finemold kit is a true beauty in comparisson. You've worked hard to get the detailing so finely done. The cabin looks excellent.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I think I achieved something magical with this build as most everyone who as seen it to date either in person or online thinks it captures the look of the studio model pretty well. I've also taken it to a couple local shows and did pretty well with it, earning a 3rd place in Kansas City and a Gold award in Des Moines, IA (Open system means multiple gold, silver and bronzes can be given out in a specific category if the model meets the criteria for them).

Now the ultimate test shall begin this weekend as I take the model to Louisville, KY for the annual Wonderfest show (another open judging system contest). I've won bronze level awards at that show before, so I am hoping it might break into a higher category. Even if it doesn't earn anything, I am very satisfied with what I have accomplished with it to date. And it was fun to do along the way as well.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #28
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Hobby link Japan has the Fine Molds Falcon on Sale at 30% discount at the moment for those interested, still quite a bit of change though once shipping & any import duties are taken into account. but i'm tempted, as its been on my "buy list" for while.

http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMSW-06
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #29
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

That is certainly a good deal. Including shipping it should work out to be about 130, roughly what I paid for mine, and there was no extra I had to pay as import duties either when I ordered from them - I may have been lucky though, so I have no idea what that would add to the cost.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #30
Wookiee
Astrophysics Technician

The Finemoulds Millenium Falcon kits look out of this world, the AMT one and the cut away one are aload of horse sh*t as kits go!
Wookiee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #31
w8cmp
Science Officer

I wonder if anyone can help me...

I'm in the process of painting / decalling my FM Falcon, and cannot for the life of me find the large sheet which details where all the decal panels go. I suspect it's in storage with the box, and I can't get hold of this for several weeks.

I do have a copy of the underside elevation, but was wondering if some kind soul could possibly e-mail me a scan of the upper elevation so I can ensure I panel this model correctly.

I haven't decided yet whether I will use the decals or not, but it would help to know what goes where so I can at least get the colouring right.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated, I've looked all over the internet without success...

You can mail me directly at srn4@ntlworld.com

Thanks again !

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #32
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Damn, I just put a Starlog special into the Scottish IPMS Tombola which had the very thing, thinking I'd never use it.

There is an almost from the top photo in FSM's Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy (p95), which you probably have.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #33
janus5
Geological Technician

Hi w8cmp, I would love to be able to help you, but I too chucked mine away. If it is of any help though, I painted the patches on my Falcon, as I thought the decals looked too vivid. Good Luck.
janus5 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #34
w8cmp
Science Officer

I'm still undecided on whether to use the decals or not...I know I can make them look good with decal setting solutions and a bit of dulling down here and there, and I like the scratched look on some of them which would be difficult to emulate. I also really don't fancy the masking job in some areas as I have not left off some assemblies which would have made my life easier (i.e. around the rear engine vanes etc).

I have a decal sheet and the bottom plan so can place half of the decals without a problem. I'm then left with using my various photographic references to identify locations for the rest - probably OK to do, but the instruction sheet would make life so much easier...

I won't be starting this process until the weeekend, so still live in hope of some kind person being able to scan me the top elevation...

Cheers

Chris
Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #35
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Is it this sheet you want (holds up sheet to laptop)?

I'll scan it and send it to you ASAP. Currently having a new shed erected in the garden, so might be an hour or so.

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #36
w8cmp
Science Officer

Fantastic Phil - just what I needed thanks very much...

I'll print these out and I can get on with the model again !

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #37
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

As you know the sheet is large, on heavy card and quite glossy, so scanning it on an A4 scanner was a bit tricky. If any of the details are fuzzy or missing, just let me know and I'll re-scan the affected area.

Cheers,

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:53 AM   #38
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

You could also use this site as a reference as they have some great shots of the 32" studio model in it:

http://www.phoxim.de/32falcon/falcon01.html

I ended up using more pictures of the studio model rather then the decal placement guide for mine as the top side is very well documented on both ILM studio models, although the decal guide did come in handy in a couple of spots. I personally think that paint works better then decals overall since there is a kind of texture that can be achieved with paint compared to using decals. Plus, I found that in the case of the dark gray patches, they were a little tanner in color then the neutral gray paint I eventually used on my model.

As for the scratched look, admittedly the decals do look decent. But I was able to duplicate that appearance with a cordless Dremel tool and a small engraving bit set to low speed. Just a slight nick to the paint down to the base color is all that was needed to achieve that look.