Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #21
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
Sometimes you get lucky when a sub comes into port or watching a NK missile being assembled.
How often does Google Earth get updated? I'm sure sights of interest would be updated with reasonable frequency, but the picture of my house is over 10 years old because it doesn't include my renovations.

What are your favourates coordinates?
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #22
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T70MkIII View Post
How often does Google Earth get updated? I'm sure sights of interest would be updated with reasonable frequency, but the picture of my house is over 10 years old because it doesn't include my renovations.

What are your favourates coordinates?
Google Earth does get updated quite frequently.I believe you can go to Google to have the program updated. The reason why I have not updated my program often because I do not want to lose my locations.I spent a lot of time finding these locations. My favorite coordinates are the ABM sites around Moscow and DOE Nevada Test Site.Google Earth has a special program where you can visit the other planets of the Solar System.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 19-07-2009 at 02:43 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 04:55 AM   #23
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
Google Earth does get updated quite frequently.I believe you can go to Google to have the program updated. The reason why I have not updated my program often because I do not want to lose my locations.I spent a lot of time finding these locations. My favorite coordinates are the ABM sites around Moscow and DOE Nevada Test Site.Google Earth has a special program where you can visit the other planets of the Solar System.
Its better to see DOE Nevada Test Site up close and personal. But you cannot bring any cameras on the site though.Surprisingly, the radiation is within tolerable limits, though there are certain areas that are still hot. You have to wear film badges but I prefer to carry my own detector.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 20-07-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 21-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #24
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

If you update Google Earth to the latest version (strongly recommended) your waypoints won't get lost, or at least mine didn't. Don't uninstall the old one, just check for updates under Help in the menu. If you want extra security all your favourite places can be saved as file in any case by right-clicking My Places (I use this to migrate Google Earth data between computers). But the pictures that are shown are not affected by version, it's the same database.

The date of the photograph under the cursor is given in Google Earth below the map on the left if you have the latest edition. But only where there are high res pictures, not in the generic low res areas. In the older versions (and the latest) another way to view the dates is to turn on DigitalGlobe Coverage in the layer control.

Last edited by Garuda; 21-07-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

I should add that the pictures showing the Apollo landing sites are great! I was waiting for something like that. A landmark, both literally and historically.

"It's a land mark."
"Some land mark."
"Collins. Let's move in closer and take a good look."
"Yes, sir."

Of course these photos won't convince any conpiracy believers (saw a documentary about them yesterday in the anniversary programming, good grief...). To convince them you have to fly them to the sites themselves, and they are not worth such a reward.
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #26
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

They'd only claim they were planted there later on or weren't manned. It's impossible to have a rational argument with an idiot.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #27
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
If you update Google Earth to the latest version (strongly recommended) your waypoints won't get lost, or at least mine didn't. Don't uninstall the old one, just check for updates under Help in the menu. If you want extra security all your favourite places can be saved as file in any case by right-clicking My Places (I use this to migrate Google Earth data between computers). But the pictures that are shown are not affected by version, it's the same database.

The date of the photograph under the cursor is given in Google Earth below the map on the left if you have the latest edition. But only where there are high res pictures, not in the generic low res areas. In the older versions (and the latest) another way to view the dates is to turn on DigitalGlobe Coverage in the layer control.
Thank You very much for the tip!
Old 22-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #28
atemylunch
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
Not at all, the Planet Silly is a well known destination for assorted fruit loops, freaks and weirdos...
In the US we call it California.
atemylunch is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #29
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atemylunch View Post
In the US we call it California.
That was below the belt. There are only two places in California that fit. San Francisco and West Hollywood. Those two places is like entering another dimension.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 22-07-2009 at 08:37 AM.