Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #21
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Torchwood begins July 20th (tomorrow) on BBC America for those of us in the States. Only read a few posts here to avoid spoilers but I'm quite looking forward to seeing this...
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #22
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Thought we had the DVR set to record, We must of missed it! Hope they reshow the first episode with the 2nd! Loved the first season, found it when we ran out of Dr Who's to watch!
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #23
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

I am looking forward on seeing it on BBC America tonight

Last edited by eaglewingone; 22-07-2009 at 09:11 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #24
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
I am looking forward on seeing it on BBC America tonight
Caught both episodes last night, loved it! Where can I order "stop action" children? Mine never slowed down!
Old 23-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #25
dukedexter
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKVIEW View Post
l enjoyed it, l am no fan of TW, never liked it but thought this 5 parter raised great issues, especially the governments decision on who'd be culled on day 4.
It definitely put the two previous series in very sharp relief - IMO it showed them up for being pretty insubstantial stuff in comparison. I could just about wait 24 hours for the next part, good job it wasn't weekly.

Very interesting dilemma for Capt Jack, definitely a no-win situation, though not an entirely new dilemma if you're familiar wit A Question of Priorities (which I bet RTD is). Russell T definitely sees us as the biggest monsters of all.
dukedexter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Definitely the best Torchwood I have seen. So glad I was persuaded to see it after having given up on the program after the end of last year's efforts. Actually want to see more of it if it can be set at this standard from now on. Maybe the idea of doing a different story each week was just too much and they needed a format where they could spend longer on a single story to give it the depth it actually needed. Gave it some much needed gravitas and tension, sort of gave it a story arc.

Now where has that been used to great effect before?
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #27
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
....Gave it some much needed gravitas and tension, sort of gave it a story arc.

Now where has that been used to great effect before?
Basil Brush and Mr. Derek? "You can't stop there!"

My wife and I watched the DVD after the week it was shown here and devoured it over just two days. And I've only seen one or two partial episodes before - I was riveted.

Wonder where Torchwood goes from here?

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #28
shonokin
Life Support Technician

I loved it. But man was it ever brutal.
shonokin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #29
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

Just finished watching it. It was excellent.
William0999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #30
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Definately an upgrade to the original! We're looking forward to the next set, soon... I hope!

Old 26-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #31
paul adams
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known Space View Post
If the aliens wanted kids, why not breed them from the original kidnapped dozen ? Or just nick some more human beings and farm them?
As the alien(s) wanted the children to extract chemicals from them to feed its/their addiction I don't think they were too interested in letting them grow to 'mating' age.

Yep. I suppose they could have farmed them in order to get a good supply set up, but then that would have blown a good story out of the water.

Perhaps the 456 were acting like your usual junkie & not thinking too straight...they were going cold turkey, hence all the vomit
paul adams is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #32
theprofessor
Chef

Yesterday at the Doctor Who and Torchwood panels at San Diego Comic Con, Russell T. Davies claimed that season 4 of Torchwood was still up in the air despite monster ratings on both sides of the pond. I watched C of E for the 2nd time on BBC America last week and was just as riveted by it. Heady, heavy stuff. Hopefully, we'll get a new season next year.
theprofessor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #33
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Hmmm.

Torchwood is improving immensely and with CotE became a high quality drama. It has pulled itself up by it's bootstraps from the gutter days of insubstantial sex monsters and the like of season 1. The sexual preferences of Captain Jack were dealt with in a much more mature way, giving everyone a taste of what it must be like to loose a loved one rather than just "He'll shag anything in a skirt - or trousers". This is what a more adult themed Dr Who should have been from the start, and if the writers continue to come up with shows of this calibre then they will have a fan for life here. The portrayal of a government in crisis is very topical, and in some ways reflects the fears of the people today. This is something that classic Who tried to do very hard, sometimes getting it right, sometimes not, but CotE managed to do a brilliant job and Torchwood deserves to have more stories like that, and to be re-commissioned for next year.

Doctor Who, on the other hand, currently seems to be sinking fast. Much as I loved John Simm in "Life on Mars" I didn't think he really sat well as the Master. I was therefore quite glad when the character died at the end of that story, and am disappointed that John returns as the Master this Christmas. I was also let down by the "Pitch Black" rip-off of the first special this year. I wait on the next with more than a little trepidation.

Does this mean that there is only a finite amount of "Quality" to go between both programs? Should the BBC take the bull by the horns and concentrate on one or the other? If so, which one? Dr Who because of it's history and built-in fanbase, plus they do not want to upset all the new fans they have made for the new series? Or Torchwood so they can cater for a more mature audience who either think "This is what Dr Who should have been when I was growing up", or "This is a really good piece of modern SF drama"?
Old 27-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #34
shonokin
Life Support Technician

As far as Doctor Who is concerned, I have high hopes for next real season (2010) once they can get RTD out of there. Yes he brought Who back and yay for him, but enough aliens disguised as corporations. Enough taking over half the population of the planet. Enough fart jokes. Enough getting out of incredible situations with cop out deus ex machina endings.

Blink in my modest opinion is one of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever. It was riveting and clever and actually had time travel as a major component of the plot. If Steven Moffat can bring to the table what he did with Blink and his other episodes then I have high hopes for the next season.
shonokin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #35
EMPEROR DALEK D L
Travel Tube Technician

I approached Children of Earth with caution, but I was rewarded with a slice of Classic British sci-fi....Quatermass jumps to mind. I must say I struggle with Russel T and all his PC agendas, which are way to crude and pushy to truly do justice to the topics he wants to promote...i.e human sexuality. I question the suitability of those topics in Dr Who (as it is a childrens program for the most part), but as Torchwood is adult fair enough.

However Children of Earth was excellent at almost every level. I would have liked to see more of the aliens, and to find out they were junkies was a bit disappointing, outside of that it was great. To see the team out on a limb with their support gone, very good, Jack blown to bits (Rose has a lot to answer for here), very well done etc etc; don't want to say too much more in case some have not seen it.

With CoE we got style and substance. Will there be more....I don't know, should there be more...only if its as good as CoE, if not don't bother. In the UK the BBC have also on Radio 4, broadcast Torchwood radio plays, these have been okay. There has been 5 so far.

I worry about the new Dr Who, time will tell.

I agree Blink was excellent and had a touch of the HP lovecraft's about it. Girl in the Fire Place is IMHO the best story by a country mile so far IMHO.

regards EDDL
EMPEROR DALEK D L is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #36
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Blink

The Girl in the Fireplace

The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances

And IIRC the link between the best 'New' who is that they are all Steven Moffat stories.

This was the reason I was going to be watching next year, and now it looks like the doctor will be the youngest looking ever, and there is a possibility his companion will look OLDER than him! (Either that or she will be bunking off school to visit strange new worlds ..........)

I will certainly be looking forward to the next "Torchwood" to see if it will be as good as CoE, and may be pleasantly surprised at the next year of Who as I am not expecting it to be that good. In fact, at this stage, Dr Who in 2010 would have to be worse than Arse Gravy of the first distillation to disappoint me.
Old 31-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #37
dukedexter
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
Blink
The Girl in the Fireplace
The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances
And IIRC the link between the best 'New' who is that they are all Steven Moffat stories.
All reasons to be cheerful. Didn't Moffatt win Hugo Awards for some - of not all - of these. And RTD won ... the TV Quick award (or something)

I'm very optimistic about Who 2010. Fingers crossed.
dukedexter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote