Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #41
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
That floor might have been complicated to lay but it looks fantastic. Complements to the model maker and to you marty
Many thanks, all I can see are the the minor glitches :-)

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #42
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

I did'nt really intend this to be a WiP thread, but seeing as few appear interested, here are a few images of progress to date.

The sub-structure is now fixed to the floor, the castellated I beams required more cleaning-up than I anticipated. Lots of minor defects needed to be attend to, including a myraid of ejector pin indents to 'Milliput' and rub down. Most of the parts as previously mentioned hade promient mould seams running on the inner and outer faces, that required attention with a scapel.

I used the floor as a jig and slowly worked around the the sub-assembly with liquid cement. The fit was generally nice - but there were a few ugly gaps that required Milliput and wet and dry.

Once I was happy it was primed and sprayed a metallic stone grey. I have season two of VTTBOS on DVD and three are a few good episodes that feature the FS-1. It was often very darkly lit and difficult to accertain the colour of the substructure. I did get a good couple of screen grabs and I'm satisfied that metallic stone grey is very close to the colour on the set - I'm still not sure if I'm going to apply some light [gun metal] drybrushing to the edge of the I beams. I'm also more happy that the floor colour is close to being cannon as well.

On the subject of the lit hex floor panels, from the screen grabs I would suggest the colour is close to a dull yellow, but it seems to vary in indivdual espisodes, never mind epidode-to-episode. I'm guessing they could have been lit by household fluorescent lights, from the underside? Like water, light is difficult to scale - it will be a challenge to get it "bob-on".

Apologies for being a tad out of focus, but it does give a nice impression.

I have started to work on the side panels [a dry fit suggests a very neat fit indeed] and will be drilling out small holes for the fibre-optics to fit into, next.

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 27-03-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 28-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #43
BEATLEPAUL
Geological Technician

Hi Guys.

Sorry I haven't posted ina while...Here is a Youtube link to My Flying Sub Build...

BEATLEPAUL is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 02:08 AM   #44
g_xii
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATLEPAUL View Post
Hi Guys.

Sorry I haven't posted ina while...Here is a Youtube link to My Flying Sub Build...
Hey, Mark!

How about you break down and invest in a TRIPOD???!!!!

--Henry
g_xii is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #45
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

A bit more progress:

I have fitted the access ladder [not pictured] to the substructure- it was painted with an intial coat of Halfords primer, followed by spray coats of matt black and light finish of metallic stone grey.

I turned my attention to the side walls, drilled out 15 holes were lights are to accept the fibre optics. The rear wall is effectively a double skin affair - in the rear-most wall I drilled a large hole to allow the feeding of the 8 fibre optics so they can inserted into the rear control panel.

Once cleaned-up everything was given a coat of Halfords primer. Once cured they were masked-up and sprayed Tamiya wooden deck tan. I was going to apply a coat of battle ship grey - but from watching the DVD's, I decided the Halfords primer was on the money so I decided to leave it, 'as is'.

The instrument panels were painted a dilute mix of Xtracolor burnt metal and matt black, followed by a dry brush of gun metal. The same excercise was applied to the fusion core panel and the rear door surround.

Once dry, I applied promodeller dark weathering wash into the grooves to both the side walls and door panel lines under the bunk, then washed it off to leave a nice feel of depth.

Again, watching the DVD's I noted the clear parts of the fusion core appeared opaque when not lit - therefore I, decided to frost the glazed part by running down the grades of wet-and-dry. This will also give a nice diffuse light.

The two boxes under the fusion core were painted a gloss mid grey and the switches picked-out the dials and switches with Xtracolor burnt metal

Not the greatest of pics [its not my forte this photographing lark]

Next steps are to apply some colour to the instruments panels, this will be done by a combination of painting and using TSDS decals and construct the light box for the fusion core.

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 29-03-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #46
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

I have been tinkering with the FS-1 over the last week mainly spending time on lots that is largely not visible - even with the op removed, in particular the instrument panel that took me four days. On the outer most panels I scrapped and sanded off the kit detail. the centre three screens I left "as-is" to give a Tv screen appearance.

I gave it a base coat of white primer, followed by a dilute mix of burnt iron and matt black - leaving the areas were the TDSC decals are white [as they are printed on transparent decal sheet]. I trimmed the said decals tightly particularly the ones that were inset into the Tv screen. The decals responded nicely to Micro Sol and Set and blicked nicely. The "Tv Screens" over a period of three days I layered them with Future to give a glazed look. When satisfied lightly dry-brushed the face - then masked and sprayed the top surface matt black. I dry brushed the back of the monitor to give some added depth. When closed-up this like a lot of the other detail will be largely invisible.

The bed I primed with Halfords grey primer and applied the TDSC decal which went down perfectly and fitted to the appropriate panel.

Cleaned up the fire extinguisher primed and finished Tamiya red and the head and the handle handed painted matt blac and a light dry brush of silver on the handle area. These were cemented to the the parts - anyone with this kit needs to know the extinguisher are bespoke and will only fit to the right parts.

I was not satisfied with my paint effort to the panels underneath the fusion core - I decided to carefully sand off the detail and applied the decal - which looks good.

I used more of the decals than I first thought, they are less one dimensional than I first thought and mixing them with dry brushed detail really adds some diversification

The photo's are pretty crappy - but give some idea.

Next step is to make the light box on the back of the fusion core and then I can start thinking about putting it all together and hooking up the lighting kit.

Some time a ago I picked up a part started the Lunar Models FS-1 interior kit - so I have purloined the Crane and Nelson figures to use in this model.

I have to say test fits indicate a extremely well engineered kit and is designed to hide join lines.

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 06-04-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #47
g_xii
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_hopkirk View Post
I have been tinkering with the FS-1 over the last week mainly spending time on lots that is largely not visible - even with the op removed, in particular the instrument panel that took me four days. On the outer most panels I scrapped and sanded off the kit detail. the centre three screens I left "as-is" to give a Tv screen appearance.

I gave it a base coat of white primer, followed by a dilute mix of burnt iron and matt black - leaving the areas were the TDSC decals are white [as they are printed on transparent decal sheet]. I trimmed the said decals tightly particularly the ones that were inset into the Tv screen. The decals responded nicely to Micro Sol and Set and blicked nicely. The "Tv Screens" over a period of three days I layered them with Future to give a glazed look. When satisfied lightly dry-brushed the face - then masked and sprayed the top surface matt black. I dry brushed the back of the monitor to give some added depth. When closed-up this like a lot of the other detail will be largely invisible.

The bed I primed with Halfords grey primer and applied the TDSC decal which went down perfectly and fitted to the appropriate panel.

Cleaned up the fire extinguisher primed and finished Tamiya red and the head and the handle handed painted matt blac and a light dry brush of silver on the handle area. These were cemented to the the parts - anyone with this kit needs to know the extinguisher are bespoke and will only fit to the right parts.

I was not satisfied with my paint effort to the panels underneath the fusion core - I decided to carefully sand off the detail and applied the decal - which looks good.
This is looking quite amazing! And that's TSDS decals, son, not TDSC!!!

The layers of future polish did a really nice job on the monitors -- I likey!

And I can't believe you used the Fusion Core decal. You are the first to use that one, as far as I know! Did you use a hole-punch to remove the inner circles? They came out amazingly flat, which is why I ask.

I continue to say this: A truly amazing build of a great kit! Keep those pictures coming, Marty!

--Henry
Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #48
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Love this build. This and the Seaview - along with the vinyls and extras available - are a couple of kits I would love to be able to afford, although I have not seen the series in I don't know how long.

There is only one slight criticism I have, and it is not against Marty, Polar lights, or TSDS. I assume that the position of the fire extinguisher above the bed is accurate to the show? It just seems to me that anyone having a catch-up whilst in motion, and if the craft suddenly comes across an emergency situation, is going to get a guaranteed five minutes extra when they hit their head on that fire extinguisher!
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #49
g_xii
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
There is only one slight criticism I have, and it is not against Marty, Polar lights, or TSDS. I assume that the position of the fire extinguisher above the bed is accurate to the show? It just seems to me that anyone having a catch-up whilst in motion, and if the craft suddenly comes across an emergency situation, is going to get a guaranteed five minutes extra when they hit their head on that fire extinguisher!
I've wondered about that myself!!!!

--Henry
Old 07-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #50
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_xii View Post

And I can't believe you used the Fusion Core decal. You are the first to use that one, as far as I know! Did you use a hole-punch to remove the inner circles? They came out amazingly flat, which is why I ask.

--Henry
I didn't use the fusion core decal as you correctly surmise - it was the two panels below the FC where I used the decals. What you can actually see is the frosted glazing.

Yes, the fire extinguisher would be a real danger, probably a greater risk than a fire - I was thinking about forming a pillow for the bed out moulded of Milliput, given it would not have been seen or the fire extinguisher fitted I decided to pass on that.

Thanks for the kind comments, I just wish I could take some decent pics to my work real justice.

Marty....

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 07-04-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #51
g_xii
Waste Technician

I don't know of _anyone_ who has used the actual fusion core decal. I have a decent hole-punch set, and was going to _try_ it, but I'm not expecting much success!

--H
Old 07-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #52
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_xii View Post
This is looking quite amazing! And that's TSDS decals, son, not TDSC!!!

--Henry
My profuse apologies...

Marty...
Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #53
g_xii
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_hopkirk View Post
My profuse apologies...

Marty...
Hell, Marty -- I was just messin' with you!
--H
Old 08-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #54
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

So was I...

Marty....
Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #55
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Nice job Marty. My buildup is a bit behind yours.
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #56
g_xii
Waste Technician

Default FS-1 Buildup

Marty --

How did your FS-1 buildup come out? I lost my way here for a while, but found my way back (and this post!) and was wondering.

--Henry