Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-05-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Default Dropship cockpit interior

I have started to pull this apart so I can work on the interior details while procuring pilots.

There is plenty of room in the cockpit area which is good as I need to fit two monitors (one plasma like for the co-pilot and the other a box for the pilot.) There is so little detail available that this is going to be a matter of limited screen grabs. 1:72 also makes super detailing a little silly. Having something where it should be rather than having every last nut and bolt is the way to go.

Any help with details would be much appreciated.

The cockpit

Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Thanks for that, I have it printed out, but not at that size. In truth there's not much you can put in the space. The co-pilot's monitor for example (with joy stick) have been fixed in the "swung out of the way" position. It couldn't be fixed or the pilot would never get to the front seat. It won't fit any other way in the model because the seats (as always) are set too closely together. I've removed some of the stuff that blocked access to the pilot's seat, and though a tight squeeze its now possible.

This won't have every last dial, but things will appear where you expect them when having a quick glance.

I'm thinking of painting the interior a grey colour. I have cockpit green somewhere, but the film set seems to go with grey. I've built a back wall for the cockpit which shows where the door is and has a few "dials etc" for the alien to play with through all that blood.

No idea how to fit the gun sight and heads up display frame ????? that both sit in front of the pilot. Shall make something.
Old 17-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
skiffy
Communications Officer

Good Gravy! I'm scared stiff of dismantling my dropship at the moment - so kudos for getting stuck in Bishop (although you are the only person qualified to remote-pilot the dropship anyway)..

Mine has no crew at all - and I'm thinking of doing the same, and adding lighting at some stage, so I'll watch this thread closely.

"Punch it Bishop!"
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

So an update.

The pictures go from screens in place to all the detail I'll bother with, poetic licence taken.

BTW The white panel with bits glued on is the rear door panel. You can just see it in place in the final "assembled shot"

These two "assembled" shots show how little you can really see when its all together. That's why I'm going for the "there's something in the spot where there's supposed to be something" look. Its pointless going for minute details no one can appreciate.

Old 18-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Help please people. The interior is a grey colour I think Cockpit grey or something. I rather like cockpit green which I thought would blend a bit better with bess brown, but now I'm not so sure. The picture is a quick test with cockpit green. Its shown up all the cleaning up work to do etc which is good, but now I'm wondering if it will work. Perhaps just a straight grey primer would be better?

What do people think?

Obviously the interior walls will be the same colour. Grey may be better, but I do like this. Just not sure.

Old 18-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Hi Bishop - its your model go with what you are happy with - its a great effort to install the cockpit so you have to be pleased with it when it all goes back together
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Actually looks rather good with the green when the canopy is put over the top so I may stick with that. I know you're right Crimson Binome, I just don't want to stuff the thing up.
Old 18-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
skiffy
Communications Officer

I think the APC interior might give a better indication. You could reason that they'd be the same colour? Anyway, I think there's a light grey and something a little more green than you have there in the APC's interior. Of course strictly speaking - being an AFV, the interior should be a white or very light colour, so I'd say look at the APC, then go with your gut.

By the way - it's looking fantastic whatever colour it ends up. Can't wait to see what you do with the figures.
Old 19-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Here's the pilot now installed in the APC. It needs to be properly painted with camo etc, but looks great as the second and third photos show. The third simply throws a little more light on the subject.

Old 20-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

And a few more with the detailed cockpit with and without the canopy. As I said earlier, you can't see much through the canopy, but it looks like stuff is sort of in the right place, so that will be that in this case. Once the pilots are painted and installed I shall post some photos in Dragon's domain and will be grateful to have the ship back together.

Smoking....

And non-smoking

Old 20-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Yeah looks the biz
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
skiffy
Communications Officer

Lookin' great Bishop. Is there any room in the dropship innards for a small battery? It would be cool to get a couple of small led's in those monitors..
Old 21-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #13
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

not really. You could perhaps hide something behind the rear seat, or leave the rear wall I made out, but its very tight.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Thanks hugely to w8cmp the crew has arrived. So on with the cockpit. Some painting to do tonight once I've worked out which pilot will be whom.

Thanks again w8cmp. Also arriving today an utterly beautiful set of dropship wings. Photos later.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
w8cmp
Science Officer

My pleasure. Looking forward to pics...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
skiffy
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Thanks hugely to w8cmp the crew has arrived. So on with the cockpit.
Sheesh.. Give 'em time to rest, they've just flown half way around the world..
Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ok, crew sellected

Crew dressed (the white squiggle on Ferro's helmet {female pilot} says "Fly the friendly skies" It does... really... you just can't read it

And crew in place.

I shall post three in Dragon's Domain of the thing put back together .... thank goodness.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
skiffy
Communications Officer

Nice

Looking forward to seeing them in active duty.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
cratercritter
Geological Technician

Default Dropship crew by Bishop & Co

WOW...I am very impressed by the work you guys, especially Bishop, have done on this Aliens "droppy". I wish I could have the skill and patience to work on little figures like that. I tend to buy props and diecast but wish I had the know how to work on small scale model building. The dropship looks heaps more interesting with a detailed cockpit....Cool. I Like!!

One could waste 'spunkmeyer' and put the little 1:72 alien warrior that comes with the Aoshima limited APC.

Last edited by cratercritter; 02-06-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
cratercritter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #20
fistius
Chef

Now that is awesome! Certainly adds to where the kits are lacking. Nice work.

Cheers, Chris
fistius is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote