Cow of a place really
Indeed - Moo Base Cow pha
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #22
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpollard View Post
I remember organising a Space: 1999 marathon at my place on Sept. 13th 1999. To my eternal regret only two of my friends turned up and they couldn't make it even halfway through 'Breakaway' before giving up
Reminds me of that Alan Partridge TV sketch where Alan was planning a James Bond film marathon, and Lynn went and ruined it by spiliing orange juice ? all over the tapes. Not that that stopped Alan, he just went ahead and started re-enacting an opening sequence - classic stuff
Old 14-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #23
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpollard View Post
yesterday I had my daughter and her boyfriend round and they happily watched (and appeared to genuinely enjoy) 'Breakaway' and 'Dragon's Domain'
Lucky you. Unfortunately my 16 year old son describes Space 1999 as naffness in the 1st degree, although I do think he's realised that my coffee cabinet display of around 17 Eagles will be worth a lot one day !

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 14-09-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 14-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #24
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondgod View Post
I'm watching Breakaway later tonight.
Me too. I cracked open a couple of beers and watched Breakaway again last night.

I was particularly struck with how strong Helena came across in that very first episode, particularly when she gave John a good telling off, after he returned from checking out the dangerous disposal area himself -

"You knew that that area was suspect.

You knew it had already affected the two Probe Astronauts and the Eagle Shuttle Pilot in some way.

And yet you went right out there yourself."

Well thought reply from John also - "I didn't know you cared."

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 14-09-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 14-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #25
timpollard
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Me too. I cracked open a couple of beers and watched Breakaway again last night.

I was particularly struck with how strong Helena came across in that very first episode, particularly when she gave John a good telling off, after he returned from checking out the dangerous disposal area himself -

"You knew that that area was suspect.

You knew it had already affected the two Proble Astronauts and the Eagle Shuttle Pilot in some way.

And yet you went right out there yourself."

Well thought reply from John also - "I didn't know you cared."

Funnily enough the only critical comment made by 'the kids' (which is to say the twenty-somethings) was about Helena, along the lines of 'Does she only have the one expression'... I thought she got a lot better as the (first) season progressed actually.
timpollard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #26
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Cow of a place really
Where else can you find mootual admiration for this show!

1975, seems like yesterday
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #27
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

SPACE:1999 in 1975
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #28
blondgod
Geological Technician

I enjoyed several beers and watched Breakaway last night. It got me all revved up and wanting to see even more, so I had a little mini marathon. I chased Breakaway with Matter of Life and Death and Black Sun. I think I'll keep this going and watch the entire series in order an episode every day or so.

Regarding Matter of Life and Death... it was either very brave and ballsy for a new series to do what was done in the second episode (kill off every cast member except Helena and destroy the Moon) or very stupid. I think it was pretty ballsy and showed that with this series, anything goes. I wish I could remember what my initial reaction of seeing MOLAD back in '75 was like. I'm sure it was one of those, WTF????!!!! moments.
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #29
dilbertman
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
10 YEARS a long time to be floating about in space. I wonder if moon base would have lasted that long in the real world. Certainly not blessed with unlimited resources and one would have to wonder what toll age would be taking on the Alphans, and whether they'd opted for children or simply decided to let things run down and die out.
I guess will find out what been going on next year.

http://www.myspace.com/project091399091309

Jim
dilbertman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #30
cricket
Medical Officer

I wonder if this is linked to the fanmade audio show that was released on Sunday?

http://sfworld.wetpaint.com/page/SEEKER+EPISODES
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
JJL567
Eagle Pilot

Ten years??

I remember on that very night I was working on my 44" Eagle whilst watching the Breakaway episode to signify the event. I remember standing up with a piece of emery paper in one hand and a leg pod in the other and looking out of my bedroom window. There, in a brilliant red was the most fantastic sunset!

But ten years, where has it gone?

JJL567 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #32
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Its gone into all those new wrinkles you have... and me too... lot less hair as well.... and then there are my eyes .... then theres...
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #33
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondgod View Post
Regarding Matter of Life and Death... it was either very brave and ballsy for a new series to do what was done in the second episode (kill off every cast member except Helena and destroy the Moon) or very stupid. I think it was pretty ballsy and showed that with this series, anything goes.
Yes, that episode could have made a good final episode of Season 1, and could have left it on a cliffhanger, so that the final bit (where everything is alright afterall) became the start of Season 2.

And the bit where everthing is alright afterall could get altered to 'the bit where everything is almost alright afterall' in order to explain some changes being introduced in Season 2 eg staff now suddenly having a sense of humour and wearing brighter clothes ...