Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #21
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Funny. Critic is from a Greek word, and means "discerning". This guy is about as discerning as a turnip.
It's like this. In Y1, Helena has been cut off from home, had to deal with two commanders, one a political hack, the other disturbingly like Lee.
She's lost her husband, found him again, then lost him again. She's been through a black hole, seen her opposite self die on an alternate Earth, had her mind played with by bizarre aliens, almost frozen and then had a guy turn into an oozing, ooey-gooey skeleton next to her, nearly been eaten by cannibals..need one go on?
She's withdrawn, even above the level a doctor needs as distance between patients and themselves. She also has her growing feelings for Koenig to sift through. HELL, I'D BE WITHDRAWN TOO!
BB palys Helena perfectly, and any "critic" who can't see it deserves to be sent to Elna for life!!!
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #22
Fozzy
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Funny. Critic is from a Greek word, and means "discerning". This guy is about as discerning as a turnip.
It's like this. In Y1, Helena has been cut off from home, had to deal with two commanders, one a political hack, the other disturbingly like Lee.
She's lost her husband, found him again, then lost him again. She's been through a black hole, seen her opposite self die on an alternate Earth, had her mind played with by bizarre aliens, almost frozen and then had a guy turn into an oozing, ooey-gooey skeleton next to her, nearly been eaten by cannibals..need one go on?
She's withdrawn, even above the level a doctor needs as distance between patients and themselves. She also has her growing feelings for Koenig to sift through. HELL, I'D BE WITHDRAWN TOO!
BB palys Helena perfectly, and any "critic" who can't see it deserves to be sent to Elna for life!!!
After having said all that Senmut, tell us all how you really feel!
Sorry, couldn't resist. I agree with you though, she had been put through the pervervial ringer and came out pretty well adjusted by season 2.
Fozzy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #23
AlphaISIS73
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
This is very well said.

BB's portrayal in series 1 of a female physician leading a major section in what still appears (despite GA's very laudable casting) to be a male-predominate scientific community is just about spot on. Her cool reserve is just what works in that position, both as a physician and a section head.

Her moments of emotion are all the more 'real' given the overall reserve. One of my favorites is when Helena realizes John has returned to life at the end of 'Missing Link'. The joy on her face is breathtaking.
LITERALLY...and with the stress of of the situation having been alleviated...she even appears much YOUNGER in that frame.

...definitely if they WEREN"T in a more intimate reltionship prior to this crisis...they were afterward...and John seemed to relate to her *for lack of a better term* as a man would his lady. Queen to his King....as in a game of chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberschizoid View Post
Helena was my favourite character on Space:1999 and my first ever crush!

I don't understand critics who say that the character displayed no emotion (in season one). I thought it was a brave characterisation in that Helena could be perceived as cold and aloof to a lot of the Alphan crew, but she had lost her husband on a space mission and held an extremely responsible position on the base. Of course she is going to close herself off and not risk any more emotional ties.
It's interesting to note that her only close friend on the base up until her slow romantic attachment to John, was with Professor Bergman. Helena and Victor seemed to share a very loving father/daughter relationship and I was sorry to see victor written out of the show.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashford View Post
Funny, Helena was always my favourite character too.

British actors in Sci Fi in this (or should that be every?) period seem to find it difficult to resist the temptation to camp it up. Look at B7, well acted in many ways, but very stagey, at times close to panto.

I've always thought of Barbara Bain and Martin Landau as having a "hard" US 50s/60s method style to their performances. Helena was Bain's idea of what a doctor in charge of a medical centre on an international moonbase would be like. Cool, dispassionate, capable, a little humourless...well, it works for me.

I like all her medical schtick too. Whether it is shining an ophthalmoscope at someone's forehead (what is it? She is inducing "neuronic concussion") or looking at Papermate felt tips in three colours and concluding that she has no optic nerve (I can't remember the details!).
I think it was a damaged Optic Nerve ...hmmm haven't watched in a while...U could be right....No wait...I think it was that the ON was GONE...because she says that she should see four colors and she only saw two I think...and therefore by the results of the pen test...she should be blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
BB plays Helena perfectly, and any "critic" who can't see it deserves to be sent to Elna for life!!!
RIGHT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
After having said all that Senmut, tell us all how you really feel!
Sorry, couldn't resist. I agree with you though, she had been put through the pervervial ringer and came out pretty well adjusted by season 2.
ICAM y'all...

And yes, Helena IS my favorite character on SP:99...for all the reasons mentioned. I like that she didn't fall to pieces at every turn of event but rather *for the most part* she maintained her cool...in spite of the fact that she was probably dying inside....because of her situation *all that you all mentioned*...and then also she played the mature female...she can deal with life's issues and not be juvenile about it all. You knew that whenever Helena DID fall to pieces or become "emotional" *btw I hate when ppl say this*...that things were in BAD shape...

Btw, Last Enemy was another example of Helena keeping cool while definitely giving off emotion. Her body language alone Let John know that she was none the least pleased with his "trusting" Dione'...but the tone in her voice nailed it for him....and how about in ToA when she returns from being taken hostage *again*?

EVEN IN y2 in which some say she acted like a teenager *I disagree...that would be Maya actually*...we see Helena work against odds...relate to her problems...and try to reason her way out of them...

One of my FAVORITE 99 eps ever is y2's J2W and it's my favorite mainly because it involves John/Helena/Alan...and it displays the deep connection of these three, who by this time have been stuck out on space for like 3 or 4 years. Helena's slowly becoming deathly ill, yet she's trying to keep a cool head and think logically about their situation...remember it was Helena who figured it out that they were on Earth....but I also liked the way she played it in the cave...when she realizes her time just might be running out...and she's almost coming to accept that she just may die...but then also realizes that John and Alan may also die and that bothers her...that scene in the cave was well done I thought.

And in ABC...Helena is in command as John is on recon...Helena dealing with their crisis...she didn't fall apart that Alpha may perish in the next tremor...she didn't act crazed that her man was probably never going to return in time...she kept her head and commanded the base...all the while feeling bad about everything happening...the communication between John and Helena ...that might be their last...the tone in her voice again said it all.

BTW...I actually liked Helena in OMOH and Taybor* her reaction to Taybor passing out was classic...and dead on...I would have laughed too*...but again I see her being less reserved in y2 as more of a sign that the Alphans...in spite of being in a terrible predicament...have come to accept life out in space...and by this time have become more of a family...so their relationship with one another would be more relaxed....it doesn't take away from who she is as far as position on the base...in fact she was pretty much considered...at this point...to be the ALPHA QUEEN.

Last edited by AlphaISIS73; 16-08-2009 at 04:07 AM.
AlphaISIS73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #24
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

lovely picture of Helena in that off the shoulder outfit - thanks for posting
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #25
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Oh, Mighty ISIS, where have you been??

We missed you!
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #26
AlphaISIS73
Geological Technician

HEY!!!

I've missed you too!!! Life takes over and next thing ya know it's MONTHS later.

Will try to chime in more often.

Glad you are enjoying the piccys...

More Helena expression/emotion observations...

I liked in ToA when Anna and Luke are like trying to explain how good it is what they are doing and she looks at them like "Mickey Fickeys are you crazy?" then commences to hand them both their butts for all the complications they are causing. Again the body language tells a lot as Helena probably would have hauled off and hit one of them had they not had the ray guns trained on her.

In Mission of the Darians...the "judgement" scene...where Lowry is killed ...when it's her turn...she didn't need words to express what was going through her mind....OOH and esp when she sees the "ritual" they do.

And let's not forget Helena's CLASSSIC WTF expression...NOBODY does WTF quite like she does.

Last edited by AlphaISIS73; 18-08-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 18-08-2009, 02:20 AM   #27
blondgod
Geological Technician

It's good to see so much love for Helena, my favorite character. And it's good to see you on this forum, Isis!
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #28
AlphaISIS73
Geological Technician

*waves to BG*
Old 18-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #29
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

..love that middle picture of Helena in a space suit...
Old 18-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #30
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
And let's not forget Helena's CLASSSIC WTF expression...NOBODY does WTF quite like she does.
...rather like a female version of Clint Eastwood...

Old 19-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #31
AlphaISIS73
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
..love that middle picture of Helena in a space suit...
Yeah...Helena made the spacesuits look koo!

My fav pic is the one on the left. Barbara's good side is definitely her right side.
Old 23-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #32
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Okay. Glad we got THAT settled.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 03:45 AM   #33
AlphaISIS73
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
...rather like a female version of Clint Eastwood...
Yeah!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #34
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

And another cool Helena picture.
Old 18-09-2009, 02:54 AM   #35
blondgod
Geological Technician

The wonderful Bain gave a brilliant performance in both seasons. She's an actress. She played the role as written and directed and no doubt injected her own style into Helena Russell. Yes, there is quite a difference in Helena Y1 and Helena Y2. Why wouldn't there be? Helena had finally come to terms with her situation in space and actually found love with Koenig in Y2. Wouldn't that make most people change and evolve?

It really baffles me to read comments about wooden acting and similar comments in Y1. Perhaps those who make those judgements are hung up on stereotypes of what a woman is "supposed" to be and act like. Helena Russell was a very complex character, just like Koenig. Watching Bain and Landau in S:99 fascinates me. You just don't see this brilliant and subtle acting level that often in televised sci-fi.
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #36
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondgod View Post
Yes, there is quite a difference in Helena Y1 and Helena Y2. Why wouldn't there be? Helena had finally come to terms with her situation in space and actually found love with Koenig in Y2. Wouldn't that make most people change and evolve?
Very interesting explanation there, blondgod - one that I had not considered before.