Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-04-2009, 04:06 AM   #41
Wardster
Computer Technician

Dumb questions, for the group ... up until now, I've (automatically) assumed it would be difficult if not impossible to get ahold of the author, and ask him directly what articles he has written; and where. Is that person (Gary Welsh) a member of these boards? Or does anyone here know how to relay that question to him, so he can fill in any blanks for us?

DiamondJ:

I'll second that warm welcome! (And FWIW, I'm also a newbie and located in the states.)

Thanks much for that great list! (Showing that we'd missed at least one other article!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondj View Post
The Cham-Cham fighter article is not in my set of magazines so I'd hazard a guess that May to December of 2007 might be the issues to search for more?
Hmm ... that's a bit odd. I'm wondering if it might not be lurking in the Feb 2007 issue?

The reason being, Tobor uploaded a scan of the letters page from that issue which said there was an installment, in that issue. As far as he could tell, that was the Cham-Cham piece. (Which apparently wasn't in the order I had presumed it was; as I'd asked earlier: so it isn't like I'm fault-less or anything!)

One other head-scratcher occurs to me: the Cham-Cham article reads like it was the first in the sub-series, dealing with the Thunderbirds TV show. (In the author's text, anyway.) But the list you've supplied -- and I have no reason to doubt it -- would put the Cham-Cham Fighter as the third in that sub-series. Maybe the author submitted that one before the others; but the magazine printed the articles in a different order, for some reason?

Please don't read anything bad into my comments -- not trying to be mean or rude or anything like that. I'm just over-dosing on the idea of seeing more of these cool articles!

For what it's worth: that reader's letter tends to confirm DiamondJ's list, in other ways: it shows that as of Feb 2007, there had been two very-recent issues of that magazine which didn't contain any Dateline articles. (These "blanks" being: Dec 2006, Jan 2007). Your list shows three Dateline articles in a row (Sep, Oct, Nov 2006), immediately before that: and that presumably would have made readers expect to see those articles continue. March 2007 would have been the last of the scans that we already have ... so there's no way to tell, from the information we have available at present (on this thread) if "there were more".

This is definitely a cool group ... thanks much, for replying with such helpful info!

(And if you think we need to move this sub-thread somewhere else, mods ... apologies offered to Meritamas and anyone else who may feel we're getting off the original topic!)
Wardster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #42
Wardster
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Hi Jim -

Many of us here use Photobucket or similar photo-sharing sites to post images on the forum. There should be some guidelines in the Commander's Office that might help.
This is just my interpretation of what someone else said, previously, but Tobor sounded willing to host more of those Dateline articles, where he temporarily has the other ones -- in a temp directory, on his web site -- if he had either the issue-number info so he could go buy those issues for scanning purposes; or if someone could scan them in for him.
Old 16-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #43
diamondj
Alphan

T-birds ASR:

Since Tobor is hosting these now, I'm pulling them down from the site I put them on. Links in Tobor's message below.

Jim

Last edited by diamondj; 26-06-2009 at 02:21 PM.
diamondj is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #44
tobor
Medical Technician

Hi Jim,
Iíve put your scans on my site at the links below. They can stay there for some time, as I have plenty of space at the moment.
http://www.tobor2.com/temp/Tbird_ASR_1.pdf
http://www.tobor2.com/temp/Tbird_ASR_2b.pdf
http://www.tobor2.com/temp/Tbird_ASR_3.pdf
http://www.tobor2.com/temp/Tbird_ASR_4.pdf
If you want any other scans hosted, you can email them to me at tobor@btinternet.com

James.
tobor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #45
Wardster
Computer Technician

Thanks much for scanning / uploading that ASR article, guys! Major coolness! (Extra cool to see yet another possible kitbash, using the F-104 Starfighter as a starting point: though the Zombite Fighter's still my favorite.)

Random comments on that ASR article:

Has anyone else noticed some of the typo's the editing introduced? I mostly ignored them, in this article and the others, but when the magazine puts a caption right over the Aurora box art for a B-58 Hustler, saying it's for Airfix's Starfighter ... well ... ;-)

I mention that situation not so much to pick on the mag -- hey, I'm glad they ran these articles! -- but it does, in my mind anyway, add strength to the idea that the editorial types may have done other things that the author hadn't originally intended: like run them out of their intended order. (Page 3 of this ASR article talks about the "previously built Arrowhead and Cham-Cham fighter" ... but that's not the order they ran in, according to the list that DiamondJ uploaded yesterday. Weird. But as long as we "have 'em all"...)

I did some Google'ing, looking for other articles by Gary Welsh, and came up with this. No idea if it's the same guy or not, but there's a chance that it could be.

Scale Models International
Volume 35, Issues 407, February 2005
Article by Gary R. Welsh
"Milk Run Special" -- building a 1/48th scale Revell B-26 Marauder.

Old 17-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #46
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Don't forget, the Spearhead Bomber article is being reproduced in the SF&FM book "Modelling the 21st Century" volume 2, so there is at least a chance that all of these articles will eventually end up back in print in further editions of this series.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #47
Wardster
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
Don't forget, the Spearhead Bomber article is being reproduced in the SF&FM book "Modelling the 21st Century" volume 2, so there is at least a chance that all of these articles will eventually end up back in print in further editions of this series.
True enough, but that might not tell the whole story. (And again, moderators, if you feel this kind of thing belongs in another thread, entirely ...? I feel it's at least tangentially on-topic, since a number of folks use other's research, from articles, to kit-bash replicas.)

This is just my personal opinion, as a long-time reader of various scale modeling books and magazines; and a relative newbie to the idea of building replicas of Anderson models. My guess is that, yes, most of Gary Welsh's past articles will eventually end up being seen in the pages of SF&FM, in some form (possibly as second build-ups?) ... but, I'd guess the publishers want to go beyond simply doing reprints of older articles, as seen in other publications. So, if "older" articles did get into print in SFFM, I would suspect -- and again, this is all just a fan's guess -- those articles would be stretched out over time; with the primary focus being to show loyal SF&FM readers things they've not yet seen.

From what I've seen on SF&FM's web site (and e-mail advance pre-order notices sent by them) there will be three articles from Mr. Welsh in that second volume: the Spearhead Bomber from Stingray; a Spectrum Passenger Jet from Captain Scarlet; and a Supersonic airliner from Fireball XL5. (There's also an array of other interesting articles by other folks, of course!) So, that's only one "already in print, elsewhere" model; plus two "new ones".

Also of possible interest to kit-bashers / researchers: in SFFM's first volume (in what looks to be a continuing series of special issues related to Anderson models) Gary Welsh did a model of the UN-10 aircraft (from Thunderbirds); and a researched / kit-bashed model from Captain Scarlet: the J-17 aircraft. (Also seen in that article is a slightly upgraded model kit of the Angel Interceptor -- built up so the two aircraft could be seen in the same photos.) Neither one of those articles is anywhere on our current list of M&CM articles. So, to the best of my current knowledge, those are exclusives to the SFFM publication.

Personally, I'm pretty nerdy. I love the varied and interesting content of SFFM enough that I am only missing one issue of the 1990s incarnation of that publication. I've read most of the articles in that fat stack of pages, more than once. And I've learned a lot from various of their authors. One reason I'm so excited about these articles by Gary Welsh is that, to me, he's a new author: one whose style and motivations I'm just now getting acquainted with. Although I'm a big fan of scratch-built models, I think kits and kit-bashes certainly have their place. And it's interesting, to me, to see both an explanation of what kits were used in the original TV shows, and how much it's affected certain viewers over the years. In addition, it's just pleasantly cool seeing standard kits from decades ago, re-imagined.

"Full disclosure" type of stuff: I occasionally write for SF&FM -- just started that, this year in fact: my text and another gent's photos will be in their #13 issue (talking about and showing off the original "studio" miniature of the Dark Star, from the cult film of the same name. Also: I myself almost had an article in that second Anderson Special... but my big (forty-five inch) scratchbuilt model of Mike Trim's original concept art version of the Seagull X-ray Jet used by SHADO wasn't finished in time for that volume's final deadline. (And in fact, that model still isn't finished at present; but it's winding down / should be finished soon; with an article on that one pencilled in for an appearance in an upcoming, regular issue of SF&FM. The text was submitted ages ago, and accepted, so it's just down to finishing and painting that model; and getting them the last build-up and "beauty" pics.)

I say the paragraph above, for several reasons. One is: I want to make it clear that while I'm pushing the SFFM publication, to a certain degree, it's because I've long loved it "just as a reader". My recent "writing for it" came about, in large part, because it's one of my all-time favorite hobby magazines. (I also have a 25-year collection of Fine Scale Modeler mags, and I enjoy those, and I learned a lot from them. But in my opinion, they've long seemed to look down on or dismiss sci-fi modelers -- like we're undisciplined kids? -- so it's not like I'd be in any huge hurry to build something up, and send it in to FSM. Just sayin'!) Another reason I mention it is that there tends to be a mindset that building stuff from scratch is the most advanced or "grown-up" form of the hobby. I tend to think this is a non-linear experience; and scratch-building is more like one branch; with many other branches and off-shoots being possible. Such as Gary Welsh's cool kit-bashed modeling articles; or Meritamas' and Tobor's recreations of things like the cool Zombite Fighter.

My desire to "have them all" (article by certain authors, I mean) comes about partly due to wanting to "follow the career" of certain authors. I like watching how they progress in terms of their skills (building / painting / writing / photography); but I'm also interested in finding out more about what motivates others to build and paint and write, and so forth. It's a big world, and it's kind of cool to be able to look over other's shoulders, as they do stuff.
Old 21-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #48
Wardster
Computer Technician

So as not to unfairly hi-jack Meritamis' (very interesting and cool! build thread, I've taken all the info about Gary Welsh's kit-bashing articles, and I've started a new thread on that one subject ... so all further comments on that subject should probably go here:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...952#post111952
Old 26-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #49
Stingray12
Medical Technician

Im making a model of an Air-Sea Rescue Jet if anyone is interested

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=9397
Stingray12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
craft, hustler, starfighter, thunderbirds, zombite