Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
gwent
Computer Technician

Default Best way to find the movie compilations on DVD?

I'm wondering what the best way is to obtain the movie compilations on DVD? I know they haven't been released in the USA, but they have been elsewhere. In France, the Seven Sept set comes with Alien Attack and Cosmic Princess, and includes English audio tracks and some extras. Anybody know how these could be purchased and shipped to the USA?

I noticed that in the Netherlands, there is a set called "The Box", which contains Destination Moonbase Alpha and Alien Attack, with English audio tracks, but no extras.

I have no idea how one would go about ordering these though, or what the cost would be. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Correction: "The Box" contains Destination Moonbase Alpha and Cosmic Princess, not Alien Attack.

Last edited by gwent; 01-10-2009 at 09:53 PM.
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
hwels
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwent View Post
I noticed that in the Netherlands, there is a set called "The Box", which contains Destination Moonbase Alpha and Alien Attack, with English audio tracks, but no extras.

I have no idea how one would go about ordering these though, or what the cost would be. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
I've looked around for this box for you, but it's not available at the moment at the two largest internetshops in the Netherlands.

Hans
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
gwent
Computer Technician

Well thank you for looking into it for me. I made some progress on the Seven Sept French set. I stumbled my way through the French Amazon site, and I could order it through there, but it would cost $42.00 USD after shipping. That's a bit steep for only 2 of the 4 films. Then again, DVDs are often $20 each anyhow, but still, I was hoping for a bit cheaper. It's the shipping that did it. Think I'm gonna wait on that.
Old 24-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

If you've still got a video machine, I would recommend obtaining them on video - they often appear on ebay for around 0.99 each video.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
gwent
Computer Technician

I do own Alien Attack on VHS already, but I no longer have a vcr. I like the idea of getting them on dvd for the menus, improved image quality, and extras.

Old 27-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Kinggodzillak
Geological Technician

I got three of the Italian releases from ebay (not picked up Journey through the Black Sun yet) but was a bit disappointed with them. Alien Attack is the best of the four, some restoration work has been done on it and as long as you can work out how to switch off the Italian subtitles it's the perfect release for English-speaking fans. There's also a mini reprint of that gorgeous Eagle cutaway poster of Robert Baldassari's...

Unfortunately, the other two discs I got were a letdown. Rather than being the original films they've replaced as much as they can with chunks from the episodes themselves. In the case of Destination Moonbase Alpha that isn't so bad since those episodes weren't altered much from the originals anyway, but it means Cosmic Princess doesn't have that overly-saturated glow to it, it doesn't have anything missing, and it doesn't have any of the extra Barry Gray music that the original had. Only in very notable cases (the opening/closing, plus the 'Vader' scene) do they revert back to the original print of Cosmic Princess, and the difference in quality is immediately noticable.

I know this was an Italian release rather than a UK one so we should be grateful they even included an English soundtrack, and that it's strange to complain about the picture quality being better than it should be or having missing sections restored, but I bought the disc wanting the crappy old movies not the episodes. I already bought all the episodes - several times, in fact...

Like I said I haven't picked up Journey yet, but I'm guessing it'll be another copy-and-paste job...
Kinggodzillak is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #7
gwent
Computer Technician

That's too bad that they had to mess with the films like that. I wonder why they thought that was a good idea? Like you said, we already have the episodes, what we wanted were the movies as they originally were. Some studios just don't get it.
Old 30-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

This is the one I've seen often on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPACE-1999-MOV...d=p3286.c0.m14

This has Cosmic Princess and Destination Moonbase Alpha, however I don't know the extent of the alterations.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

see also -
http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...vmvdvdnlm.html

Seems like no extra features are included, but you do get the optional 'on or off' Dutch subtitles !

Wonder if the collectors cards mentioned in the link, are still available ?

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 01-10-2009 at 07:43 AM.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
gwent
Computer Technician

Thanks for the links. The set from Ebay is the Netherlands set, and I read the review on it (translated by Google). The price is nice, and the review isn't too bad, though it sounds like the image quality is just above VHS. I like the removable subtitles, and it sounds tempting. I just wonder if they have been altered like the Italian versions were (probably not).

It's funny, you can tell the reviewer of the dvd set obviously knew little about the series; he said Cosmic Princess consisted of the double episode pilot of year two!

I wish I could find where to obtain the "Alien Attack" Italian disc that Kinggodzillak mentioned. Sounds like the ideal version of that film.

Last edited by gwent; 01-10-2009 at 09:56 PM.