A few, however, might be rotten...
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #123
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbidsquirrel View Post
call me on this if i'm wrong

as you "Spin up" the moon wouldn't you also make the moons gavatiy stronger?

as Clark said i agree fully and there could of been a "force field" in effect to keep the atmosphere in
It depends not only on rotational spin but on the mass of an object & its' physical make-up. That's why Mars, which is not a heck of a lot bigger than the Moon, has an atmosphere. Lots of heavy metals make up its' physical body. Not a lot but, enough to hold onto a tenuous atmosphere.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #124
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Actually, the faster the moon spun, the LESS you would feel the gravity.

If the Earth spun slower, we would weigh more as there would be less centrifugal force trying to throw us out into space. The faster the Earth, or the moon, spins, the greater the centrifugal force acting against the natural gravity to pull you down.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #125
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
Actually, the faster the moon spun, the LESS you would feel the gravity. (That is, the closer you get to the poles, you would feel the "lesser gravity"...

If the Earth spun slower, we would weigh more as there would be less centrifugal force trying to throw us out into space. The faster the Earth, or the moon, spins, the greater the centrifugal force acting against the natural gravity to pull you down.
Yes, but centifugal force is just ONE factor, the others' being the mass of the object as well as its' physical make-up.

Old 28-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #126
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Which I was not denying.

I thought the question was about what would happen if you increased the rate of the moon's spin. As increasing the rate of spin has no effect on the size or composition, I was not considering the mass of the moon to change. Therefore the gravity goes down, not up as you quoted rabbidsquirrel as having said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbidsquirrel
as you "Spin up" the moon wouldn't you also make the moons gavatiy stronger?
Yes an explosion big enough to change the rotational velocity or orbital trajectory of the moon could actually remove a significant portion of it's mass. This would also lower it's gravity.
Old 28-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #127
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
Which I was not denying.

I thought the question was about what would happen if you increased the rate of the moon's spin. As increasing the rate of spin has no effect on the size or composition, I was not considering the mass of the moon to change. Therefore the gravity goes down, not up as you quoted rabbidsquirrel as having said,

Yes an explosion big enough to change the rotational velocity or orbital trajectory of the moon could actually remove a significant portion of it's mass. This would also lower it's gravity.
I would think the Moons' rotation would have sped up quite a bit after the explosions at NDA 2. Again, it's something the writers never really got into.
Old 28-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #128
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:

Ehm, the spinning of the Earth has no bearing on weight of an individual object;

This from;

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q2947.html

"If the Earth stopped spinning would gravity stop?

No. Gravity has nothing to do with rotation. It is a fundamental force like electromagnetism and the two nuclear forces. However, because at the equator rotation produces a slight 'anti-gravity' effect making a 100 kilogram human slightly lighter by a few grams. If the Earth stopped rotating, objects would weigh exactly the same at all points on the Earth as you would calculate from only their gravitational forces alone. A 200-ton building at the equator weighs several pounds less than it would at the north pole. "

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #129
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

And once again someone either misunderstands what I am saying, or cannot be arsed to read it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith
I did not say the force of gravity would change - it is a universal constant after all, but quoting from Wikikipedia,

Quote:
The terms gravitation and gravity are mostly interchangeable in everyday use, but a distinction is made in scientific circles. "Gravitation" is a general term describing the phenomenon by which bodies with mass are attracted to one another, while "gravity" refers specifically to the net force exerted by the Earth on objects in its vicinity as well as by other factors, such as the Earth's rotation
In fact, the spin of the earth DOES have a bearing on the WEIGHT of an object, not it's MASS. You yourself prove it in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo
A 200-ton building at the equator weighs several pounds less than it would at the north pole.
OK, it is not a large difference, but it is there. This difference is down to the different rotational velicities between pole and equator. Increase the Earth's rate of spin, reducing the number of hours in a day, and you increase the difference in weight between pole and equator, making something at the equator even lighter than at the poles. Therefore, I stick to my orriginal answer that increaseing the rotational velocity of an astral body [Earth, moon, other planet] will decease the FEELING of gravity and therefore the weight of an object on that body (Anywhere except the rotational* poles, of course) not INCREASE it!

Gary

* There are at least 3 sets of poles on the Earth. The orbital poles [North and South at right angles to our orbital path], Geographic poles [the line going north to south about which the planet rotates] and the Magnetic poles where the lines of magnetism touch the Earth's surface.
Old 29-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #130
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
And once again someone either misunderstands what I am saying, or cannot be arsed to read it!
Well you could have worded that better!

However I take your point, though it is so negligible I think the Moon would have to be spinning at an enormous rate for you to FEEL anything.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #131
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Now now, children. Play nice!
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote