Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Default Catastrophe: 1999

Back in the late 70's or early 80's, I picked up a Japanese soundtrack called "Catastrophe: 1999" by Tomita, and thinking that it was for the Japanese release of Space:1999, I bought the record and took it home. Well, only recently did I find out that it was NOT for Space:1999, but some sort of anime movie, or something like that. But the MUSIC! it is so great, and I was wondering if anyone else has heard it?
All these different tracks, and I would listen to it, and associate what was happening in "Breakaway" with the music. But that's just me!
I also was listening to "Synergy" alot in 1976, while reading the book "Star Wars" which came out in December of 1976, so alot of that music reminds me of Star Wars. Hey, I get locked into various pieces of music, sue me!

William
williamtaylor1969 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtaylor1969 View Post
I also was listening to "Synergy" alot in 1976, while reading the book "Star Wars"
Listening to soundtrack whilst reading the book - now that's a great idea for getting more enjoyment from the book

On a similar note, I often watch the Space 1999 dvds with the subtitles turned on - adds to the experience - especially when the subtitles start to ad lib
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Listening to soundtrack whilst reading the book - now that's a great idea for getting more enjoyment from the book

On a similar note, I often watch the Space 1999 dvds with the subtitles turned on - adds to the experience - especially when the subtitles start to ad lib
That's one of the things that really sux about the US Carlton/A&E DVD releases. First, the "Bonus Features" are quite scarce & concentrate primarily on Year Two. The only bonuses for Year One (my favorite) are a mess of still photos, most of which have been previously released & so-called "episode trailers" which are simply the montage of episode scenes from each show.

Second, there's NO close captioning/subtitles! Even the close-caption function that's on my TV itself can't "read" the dialogue. That stinks mainly because of all the thick-as-molasses accents (primarily Italian due to it being a joint venture between ITC & RAI) which can be seriously hard to understand. I'm still picking out words to this day by the characters from "Space Brain" (Melita, Kelly's wife), "Dragons' Domain" (Cellini), "Testament Of Arkadia" (Luke) & "Troubled Spirit" (Mateo).

The Bonus Features for Year Two are better. They contain photos, too but, they also have "on-set" interviews with most of the cast & the trailers from two of the four "movies". Even the Bonus Disc itself is pretty lame. It DOES have the short "Message From Moonbase Alpha" & interviews with some of the production crew, but besides that there's just three Year One episodes with Commentary by Sylvia Anderson.

Are the European & Australian DVDs any more complete?
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
Are the European & Australian DVDs any more complete?
Comparing the UK Carlton DVD sets (year 1 and 2) and the remastered network Year 1 DVD set -
the Carlton set includes subtitles but the network set doesn't (anyone know why ???).
However, overall, the network set is superior - in terms of having digitally restored quality, plus detailed 24 page booklet, plus a whole additional dvd of interesting extras.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

The British Carlton set does include the BBC Horizon behind the scenes footage though, which isn't on the Network set.

Catastrophe:1999 ? Sounds like the unmade series that recounted what happened on Earth after the Moon was blasted out of orbit.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post

Catastrophe:1999 ? Sounds like the unmade series that recounted what happened on Earth after the Moon was blasted out of orbit.
Damn, that is a GOOD idea for a new series. You could mix it up with SHADO trying to fight the UFOs and keep the public under control at the same time! The UFOs had decided to act upon the catastrophe on Earth, and try to take control of the planet with an all out attack, with SHADO vehicles and spaceships and Eagles all fighting the UFOs and the aliens! Add to that the natural disasters that would occur if the moon was ripped from Earth orbit, and you have one hell of a great idea!

William
Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Damn, that is a GOOD idea for a new series. You could mix it up with SHADO trying to fight the UFOs and keep the public under control at the same time! The UFOs had decided to act upon the catastrophe on Earth, and try to take control of the planet with an all out attack, with SHADO vehicles and spaceships and Eagles all fighting the UFOs and the aliens! Add to that the natural disasters that would occur if the moon was ripped from Earth orbit, and you have one hell of a great idea!

William
That's almost EXACTLY the storyline I thought of if a re-make was ever done...COMBINE BOTH SERIES & have the aliens from "UFO" be the ones responsible for the explosion that sends the Moon on its' way. That would be a great set-up for a series of films or a new TV series...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Comparing the UK Carlton DVD sets (year 1 and 2) and the remastered network Year 1 DVD set -
the Carlton set includes subtitles but the network set doesn't (anyone know why ???).
However, overall, the network set is superior - in terms of having digitally restored quality, plus detailed 24 page booklet, plus a whole additional dvd of interesting extras.
Actually, it's the other way around on the US releases...no subtitles on the Carlton/A&E sets. Plus, even though they are allegedly "digitally re-mastered", it seems all they did was transfer the episodes from film to digital. There's tons of alternating light/dark, color drain & graininess. The sound is pretty bad, too. Still, considering when I first saw the show, it was on a 19" B&W TV with rabbit ears, it STILL looks the best I've ever seen it.

I was 13 when SPACE:1999 premiered & my Dad, who was in "control" of the TV, refused to watch it. He was (and is) a Trekkie & wouldn't give ANY other TV sci-fi a chance. "Lost In Space", "Battlestar Galactica", "UFO", "Logan's Run"...even "Planet Of the Apes", despite the fact that he loved the five movies. He DID love the original "Star Wars" trilogy, though...
Old 01-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Hey, I was just curious, did "Destination Moonbase Alpha" come out on either DVD set?

William
Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Hey, I was just curious, did "Destination Moonbase Alpha" come out on either DVD set?

William
Not in the states. However, it WAS released as a seperate DVD some time ago. Check the "Catacombs" website...the info should be listed there. Look under "Movies" from the Main Page. No special features, though, so as far as I'm concerned, it's not worth getting. I've had it on VHS since 1988 so, I just copied it onto a blank DVD to preserve the tape. The only one I'm missing now is "Cosmic Princess", though I DID find the MST3K version on DVD...the other three are on tape. I have an extra copy of the MST3K DVD if anyone's interested...