&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #61
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybear View Post
Hi there,
Dragon's Domain is one of the greatest episodes of the series,but as I remember,Cellini and his team of experts were on their way to the planet known as Ultra. Hence The Ultra Probe,not The Meta Probe which was destroyed in the premiere episode,Breakaway I believe. On another point,why do people and TV synopsis think that the moon drifts near Ultra when they encounter the Graveyard of ships? Koenig himself explains that they must have drifted away into space just like the wandering moon.
Hopefully someone has already been on about this,so ignore my ravings.
Cheers JB
Your ravings are fine. The reason most TV synopsis folks do that is because they don't bother to watch the whole ep, in depth. Space is not a superficial show, where you can let your attention wander, and take off to go get a beer and miss something. It requires one to..GASP!!!!!...think. Most critics/reviewers never do.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #62
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Utopian dreams never come to fruition. It's an empty dream.
As to religion being a "farce", am I a farce because I'm "religious"? I have no trouble at all with believing in extraterrestrial life, be it bacteria on Mars, or "people" over in the Lower Zotz Galaxy. I see no conflict at all, never have, nor do ANY of the "religious" people I have discussed it with.
With one exception, and that's someone with a 4-years science degree. (Geochemistry). A connection?
There's a difference between "faith" & "religion"...Faith is what you feel & believe in your heart. Religion is a business as well as a means to shepherd those with pain & doubt in their lives, plain & simple. It offers solace to the hopeless (who should really learn to get their acts together instead of trying to solve all their problems by joining the throngs who take the Bible as "gospel"...no pun intended). Whenever I talk to someone who's seriously religious about the incomprehensible scope & immensity of the Universe, not to mention the theory of "multiple Universes", they try to turn the conversation off the subject. In other words, they hide from the possibility that, maybe, they're incorrect in their belief that "God" created EVERYTHING.

My ex-wife "found God" shortly after her Dad died. She had just lost her job, her car was falling apart, her mother was driving her nuts...so, she turned to the church for peace...which she did NOT get. She's a VERY open-minded women & even though she still harbours her fundamental Christian beliefs, she decided that her fellow parishioners took it all just a bit too seriously.

For me, at least, I equate the Bible with UFOs...great stories but, should they be taken literally or seriously? To a certain extent, perhaps but, not as far as some people take them. Believe in whatever you like but, believe in YOURSELF first! For, without you, there IS no God...
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #63
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Quote:
As to religion being a "farce", am I a farce because I'm "religious"?
Well, I really hate to touch that subject, so I will type slowly and carefully choose my words! Alledgedly, Jesus hated "religious" people, people who only keep God in their minds only on Sunday (or Saturday). It's kind of funny how, down thru the ages, we have always had a "God" image of one sort or another. Not being what you would normally call "religious", but VERY spiritual myself, I view this situation in a totally different direction.
Back in the 1930's, 1940's and even into the 1950's, everyone viewed "Time" and "Space" as two totally different things. Then, someone decided that Time and Space were just two sides to the same coin, hence the term "Space/time".
I had viewed, as others had, God, nature, the universe, etc. all as seperate things. Then I started to realise that God IS nature, and totally natural! How could God NOT be? And then, somehow, I came to think of God and the universe as the old "Space/Time" situation: God/Universe. One in the same, each a part of the other, something that we could not possibly understand, given our undeveloped status in the universe. I know what you are going to say, that's OUT there. But just stop and think about it for awhile, and try to figure out for me how it could NOT be!
I would love to hear your opinions, and PLEASE do not quote the bible!

William
williamtaylor1969 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 03:19 AM   #64
CR
Science Officer

This is getting interesting, but I recommend that we start a new thread to discuss spiritual matters. Yes, I know S99's first season had very spiritual undertones, but we're getting a bit off-topic here. Carry on the discussion (respectfully, please) in the Rubber Room. (Just start a new thread, and feel free to copy & paste the last few posts from this one to get it started.)

Thanks!

PS: I'm not forbidding any mention of spiritual/religious things on this thread, but when that becomes its own main topic, I think it deserves its own thread. Just remember, none of us are here to win any converts, so please make your points without getting too personal.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 03:30 AM   #65
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Perhaps we should open this topic in "The troubled spirit" forum area!

William
williamtaylor1969 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #66
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtaylor1969 View Post
Perhaps we should open this topic in "The troubled spirit" forum area!

William
VERY CLEVER!! I concur...Let's start a new thread about the religious ramifications in SPACE:1999 as well as other shows & movies as well! It's a favorite subject of mine: Science vs. Religion (science will win every time because there's PROOF!!)...
Old 15-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #67
CR
Science Officer

Yes, the Commissioner Simmonds Rubber Room is on the Troubled Spirit board. Each board has a brief description of the type of topics to be discussed, and religion falls into that one.
Just a reminder, brief discussions of religion (or for that matter, politics) pertaining to S99 are OK on the regular boards/threads, but in-depth discussions that are more about religion and less (or not at all) about S99 should have their own thread(s). And again, please play nicely.
Old 15-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #68
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Yes, the Commissioner Simmonds Rubber Room is on the Troubled Spirit board. Each board has a brief description of the type of topics to be discussed, and religion falls into that one.
Just a reminder, brief discussions of religion (or for that matter, politics) pertaining to S99 are OK on the regular boards/threads, but in-depth discussions that are more about religion and less (or not at all) about S99 should have their own thread(s). And again, please play nicely.
Point taken....Wouldn't want to keep anyone after school, donchaknow?
Old 16-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #69
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Hey, staying after school was cool, for me. Less time spent around my folks and older brothers, the better!!!!!!!!
Old 16-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #70
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
There's a difference between "faith" & "religion"...Faith is what you feel & believe in your heart. Religion is a business as well as a means to shepherd those with pain & doubt in their lives, plain & simple. It offers solace to the hopeless (who should really learn to get their acts together instead of trying to solve all their problems by joining the throngs who take the Bible as "gospel"...no pun intended). Whenever I talk to someone who's seriously religious about the incomprehensible scope & immensity of the Universe, not to mention the theory of "multiple Universes", they try to turn the conversation off the subject. In other words, they hide from the possibility that, maybe, they're incorrect in their belief that "God" created EVERYTHING.

Well, I think people should consider that "faith" does NOT refer to some blind acceptance. The root word, fides, the base meaning of which is "trust". The term "bona fides". Good Faith. You "trust" that the thing you settle on as your belief system/guiding paradigm/weltenshaaung, is, in fact, the correct one. I trust that my car will get me there (Which might qualify as blind faith, if you saw it!).
As to God creating evrything: I have no problem with the immensity of the Universe, or multiple universes, or whatever. it all works, it all hangs together. At least, I see no contradiction between believing in God, and believing that we might be living in Universe # 546, sub-universe 18. Oh well.
Okay, Mods, me culpa. I shall refrain! If possinble, go ahead and pop this one over to the appropriate thread.
Interdimensional transfer?????

Old 16-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #71
CR
Science Officer

OK, the religious posts are in the Rubber Room; their presence on this thread will likely vanish over the next couple of days.

Back to the Ultra Probe/Dragon's Domain discussion!
Old 16-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #72
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Hey, staying after school was cool, for me. Less time spent around my folks and older brothers, the better!!!!!!!!
I was a bit of an oddball as a youth, too. Since I had a myriad of health issues & really couldn't do sports, I threw myself into my schoolwork. If I didn't have to catch the schoolbus, I would've stayed after school voluntarilty to avoid MY older siblings...Besides, a couple of my grade school teachers were pretty hot!
Old 18-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #73
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

I'll bet you disliked team sports, too.
Old 18-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #74
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician

Um, guys, he said to get the thread back on topic. So let's continue the discussion we were having before the thread got derailed.
CaptainOchre is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #75
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Shouldn't that be "the Moonbuggy got tipped over"?

Okay, where were we???