Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
CR
Science Officer

Subjective indeed! I don't know if I'd call them worse than the worst of Season 2, as some of them could have been expanded and made more 'respectable'. (Issue 2, for example, is very 'Enemy Mine' in its plot, which I'd just pointed out on another thread about an hour ago.) But they were geared to a younger audience and did use some cliched ideas more often than not.

Are you familiar with the Look-in comics? Don't know that you'd like them, but they might be worth a look. (I only found out about them a few years ago myself... I LOVE the internet!)

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: expanded upon note to give more detail
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #22
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Subjective indeed! I don't know if I'd call them worse than the worst of Season 2, as some of them could have been expanded and made more 'respectable'. (Issue 2, for example, is very 'Enemy Mine' in its plot, which I'd just pointed out on another thread about an hour ago.) But they were geared to a younger audience and did use some cliched ideas more often than not.

Are you familiar with the Look-in comics? Don't know that you'd like them, but they might be worth a look. (I only found out about them a few years ago myself... I LOVE the internet!)
From what I've seen on-line, the "Look-In" comics are head & shoulders above the Charlton comics. Unfortunately, my monitor doesn't have enough resolution so I can't read the dialogue...my printer's not much better.

Good artwork, though...
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
Andrew Kearley
Hydroponics Technician

"Message from Moonbase Alpha" is a bit crap really - I certainly wouldn't consider it part of the real story. Hell, I have a hard time accepting that the second series episodes are part of "Space: 1999"...
Andrew Kearley is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kearley View Post
"Message from Moonbase Alpha" is a bit crap really - I certainly wouldn't consider it part of the real story. Hell, I have a hard time accepting that the second series episodes are part of "Space: 1999"...
Well, to each his own. But I couldn't disagree with you more! I think "Message from Moonbase Alpha" is a wonderful wrap up (and a great new beginning) for Space: 1999. I am a huge admirer of Johnny Byrne, and I love the concepts he brought forth in "Message", and I love Zienia's performance as Sandra.

With the creative and artistic involvement of Johnny and Zienia, I feel very firmly that "Message" is indeed part of series canon, and I think that most others would agree.

But again, you're entitled to your opinion.
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #25
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default MESSAGE FROM MOONBASE ALPHA is episode#49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
Well, to each his own. But I couldn't disagree with you more! I think "Message from Moonbase Alpha" is a wonderful wrap up (and a great new beginning) for Space: 1999. I am a huge admirer of Johnny Byrne, and I love the concepts he brought forth in "Message", and I love Zienia's performance as Sandra.

With the creative and artistic involvement of Johnny and Zienia, I feel very firmly that "Message" is indeed part of series canon, and I think that most others would agree.

I have to agree with CalgaryAlphan, with the creative and artistic involvement of Johnny Byrne and Zienia it makes it official to me that it is canon...albeit a short, MESSAGE FROM MOONBASE ALPHA is episode#49.

Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #26
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
Unfortunately, my monitor doesn't have enough resolution so I can't read the dialogue...my printer's not much better.
Try viewing them through 'Picture Manager' and then just adjust upwards the % size of the page being viewed to 100 % or over - works a treat with the jpeg images I recently saved from the Look In Archive website
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #27
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Anything that didn't appear in the original series can't be considered as officially canon, but it is consistent with and dovetails into the series perfectly. Johnny and Zienia's involvement ensure the quality of the piece matches the original series so the joinline is much harder to see but it's still an enjoyable speculative piece rather than official. However it's difficult to imagine an alternative piece made after the fact having more credibility.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 12-10-2009 at 11:21 PM.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #28
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
It may be "a bit crap" but, it's still better than anything offered up in Year Two...
Old 13-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #29
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
It may be "a bit crap" but, it's still better than anything offered up in Year Two...
Uh, easy now....

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=9311
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #30
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
To each his own opinion, certainly, but I might add we have some ardent series 2 fans hereabouts and it's best to keep peace within our small 'fan-ily'.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #31
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
To each his own opinion, certainly, but I might add we have some ardent series 2 fans hereabouts and it's best to keep peace within our small 'fan-ily'.
Good point Cricket.
Old 13-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #32
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Don't get me wrong...I DO enjoy Year Two...just not nearly as much as Year One. I think it's partly because of the score by Derek Wadsworth. It was too pop & jazz for me. I like the "epic feel" of Barry Gray's score. It just added scope & dimension that the DW scores lacked.

Even DW himself said that BG had a way to make his music sound "big" even if it was coming through a 2 inch TV speaker.

Interesting sidenote. In the edited movie "Cosmic Princess", they tracked it with a lot of BG's music from Year One & "UFO". It's just my opinion of course but it really gave those episodes a little "oomph" that was missing in the original broadcast score.
Old 15-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #33
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

Default The UFO Episode Order...

Hi Space 1899,
I know you posted this some time back but apparently UFO is being screened in the original ITV order which was broadcast in the seventies.
Ridiculous as it is with The Cat With Ten Lives as episode three..?
Space 1999 is being shown in the same original 1975 order as well,not that that makes much sense either,well a little...
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 03:56 AM   #34
blondgod
Geological Technician

Canon for me is the original series-- Year 1 AND Year 2, plus Message From Moonbase Alpha. As cricket already said, the rest is fun stuff, bonus goodies. I've never really been into the fan fiction, novelizations (although I did collect all the originals) or comics (but I have all those too!).
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #35
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondgod View Post
Canon for me is the original series-- Year 1 AND Year 2, plus Message From Moonbase Alpha. As cricket already said, the rest is fun stuff, bonus goodies. I've never really been into the fan fiction, novelizations (although I did collect all the originals) or comics (but I have all those too!).
SPACE:1999 48 episodes plus MESSAGE FROM MOONBASE ALPHA.