SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #101
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Mattel’s Eagle Transporter toy model had a command pod in the front which held two pilots and could separate from the centre section and combine with the engine section (in the rear, also removable) to form a cute little scout space craft.
Is that the large Eagle toy? 3' (or was it 44" )? I had that large plastic one, and I too combined the pilot module and engines portion, and at the time and my age (6, probably) assumed this combination could fly in the atmosphere because it had pilots and engines. One obvious problem (among many) is that this is all main engines and no maneuvering thrusters. Then again, I've been figuring, ever since I started writing anyway, that some antigravity is involved in Eagle flight too, to stabilize and assist in atmospheric flight.

Unfortunately, I don't have that large toy Eagle any more. I was a kid, and played with it, and it and the plastic moonbuggy eventually started wearing out, the latter eventually breaking and the former getting sold at rummage I think (don't blame my parents -- neither they nor I knew my interest would remain nascent and return strongly more than a decade and a half later). Still, fond memories. I'll have to re-check the Catacombs merchandise guide, but I think there were commlock-shaped, short-range children's walkie talkies?

I'll get to the main thread topic (comics) in my next reply....

I think I had a few more items of S19 merchandise items at the time, but only one stayed in my possession (sort of) in the years between my interest in the 1970's and resurgent interest in the 1990's (at which time I started buying some items as I found them). I've been meaning to take a more thorough look at the merchandise guide to see what.
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #102
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Not to be mean, but even as a kid, I noticed that the Eagle art was... wrong. Engines too small, cages not quite right. Granted, I'd built, played with and drawn pictures of the old MPC model kit; I had studied that like crazy, so I guess that's why I noticed when others were off. Granted, the MPC model wasn't accurate, either, but it wasn't as off as some of the various comic artists' interpretations. (And to be fair, I've seen other artists get the Eagle even more wrong than what's shown on the page up for auction!)
And in that link, the pilot module looks too large also, landing pods fused more directly to the main body. I will definitely grant the challenge of drawing the Eagle, though. I try my hand at artwork from time to time, with mixed results, including the Eagle. I like more geometrical objects, and most of the Eagle is lots of straight lines -- lots and lots and lots of straight lines. I think that is part of the difficulty: that there is just so much there that to go faster and/or be more consistent within one's artwork, some simplification or other alteration almost becomes "necessary." Expediency, I'd suggest. What really is the most frustrating to me is the pilot module.

I want to get it right, because it is really a well-"designed" piece just like the rest of the Eagle, but its curved lines in the middle of all the geometry just throws me off, and I usually end up with the same bias that I think I see in the cited art: an overlarge pilot module. Curiously, though, I have little trouble with the engine bells. Then I get thrown by all the tanks just forward of the bells! Ah, well. My last Eagle "art" was a hybrid of assembling things I had on hand, digitally photographing the results, and then lots of digital editing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Still, it's instantly recognisable as an Eagle, and was drawn fairly consistently. (I've seen some comics where the Eagle seems to change from frame to frame, if memory serves me correctly!)
Maybe that's part of the greatness of the Eagle design. It is so distinctive, so "realistic" of an extrapolation of what modern humans might have built (setting aside the obvious science fiction aspects of the design as posited in the stories) that even expedient copies, or those adapted into cover art for unrelated works, or so on, are rather hard to mistake for anything but Eagles or Eagle-based.

All that said, granting the alterations in the cited image, it is actually a rather good interpretation of the Eagle, IMHO.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #103
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
This was the only item of S19 merchandise that remained in my possession (in a manner of speaking) between my interest in the series in the 1970's and resurgent interest in the 1990's. Also had fond memories of the series in between, and wanted to see it again, but it wasn't on, and I had nothing left of the merchandise (an large toy Eagle, moonbuggy, commlocks, at least the one comic, and a few other things -- like I said a couple replies ago, I have to check the Merchandise Guide more thoroughly to see if I'm forgetting anything else).

Well, anyway, not long after my interest returned, thanks to Sci-Fi Channel's reairing the series in Fall 1992, my parents gave me a few comics I had as a child, that they had in storage, and among them was the one "quoted" above (thanks for the cover art postings, Steve). That to this day is the only such item re-"found" that I had back then.

IIRC, this re-found comic clued me in that there might be books and other items to find out in the market, so I started looking. Sticking to the comic books for the moment, I have found a few of the larger magazine-style comics also shown earlier in the thread, but still have only that one smaller Charleton one. I can't really comment on most of them as I think I bought those new-to-me ones shortly before I went on an unintended four-year hiatus back in 2003, and never got to reading the stories. I'll have to dig them out of storage and check that out and the artwork.

I still have so much reading to catch up on. I only just finished four of the Powys novels a couple months ago, still have Eternity Unbound (the stories aside from Resurrection itself. Still looking forward to reading the Y2 Omnibus. Plus other items such as Space: 1999 -- The Future Is Fantastic that has found its way back near the top of my pile. Plenty of fan fiction. Good side of that is that I still have more new stories and analyses to read, so I guess having planty to catch up on can be good sometimes?

More recently, I'm a little behind on fora postings. I think a new analysis book is out in the last few months? But I'm drifting off topic now....
Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #104
tx4
Medical Technician

Forgot to mention my opinion of the small Y2 Charleton comic I mentioned in the prior post. It did a good retelling of "The Metamorph" episode, as I recall (probably been since 2003 since I looked at this one too). The cover art was really good, capturing artwork "images" of the characters pretty well (except the art maybe should have been set just a bit lower so the series title didn't cover the top of several people's heads (very minor point).

Oh, and was this common in comics of the time? IIRC from this issue, the artist/writer (?) used an exclamation mark to end every... single... sentence uttered by any character, at any time, in the whole comic! I really do not care; I just found it a bit strange. Regardless, the retelling of the Metamorph story was well-done for the medium, and the one that followed in the same comic was at least engaging, IIRC. Can't recall much more off-hand, though. I'll have to try commenting in a little more detail when I have re-read it and the others I found. Regardless, I recall thinking it was nicely done, and being glad I still have it after all these years!

I probably have the S19 Power Record is probably stored in the same place as the magazine sized comics I found back in the early 2000's or so. When I get them all back out, I'll have to see if I can find anyone with a turntable, to hear it on.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #105
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Did anyone ever see the DC Thomson anthology comic series "Starblazer"? It was like the Commando comics, a 63 page comic with a sci-fi story. Strangely enough, in one issue there were a couple of frames showing.....yup, an Eagle Transporter.

The one frame that showed the interior was different from the Eagle, but the exterior seemed correct.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #106
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

tx4 , nice analysis of SPACE:1999 comics etc. I was eleven years old in 1975, those SPACE:1999 COMMLOCK walkie-talkies, although physically incorrect, they did look cool back then.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #107
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
Did anyone ever see the DC Thomson anthology comic series "Starblazer"? It was like the Commando comics, a 63 page comic with a sci-fi story. Strangely enough, in one issue there were a couple of frames showing.....yup, an Eagle Transporter.

The one frame that showed the interior was different from the Eagle, but the exterior seemed correct.
Is that the STAR BLAZERS(SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO) comic book series based upon the animated movies & TV series?
Wow, if anyone finds this image ...please post the EAGLE TRANSPORTER in the DC Thomson anthology comic series "Starblazer".
Old 02-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #108
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx4 View Post
. I think a new analysis book is out in the last few months? But I'm drifting off topic now....
Yes, CalgaryAlphan's DESTINATION MOONBASE ALPHA(Robert E. Wood).

Old 02-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #109
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Is that the STAR BLAZERS(SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO) comic book series based upon the animated movies & TV series?
Wow, if anyone finds this image ...please post the EAGLE TRANSPORTER in the DC Thomson anthology comic series "Starblazer".
God no, I wish people would stop confusing the two.

No, its this, details here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starblazer
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #110
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
God no, I wish people would stop confusing the two.

No, its this, details here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starblazer
OK, so it is STAR BLAZER not STAR BLAZERS. It looks like an interesting comic series. Jade Falcon thanks for telling us about it. I am interested in seeing the EAGLE artwork from it.