Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Info 'Contentious Subjects' to be canned.

I've been dwelling on the ethos and general direction of this forum lately and, with the wise input from our moderators, have decided to can Commissioner Simmonds' Rubber Room, effective shortly.

As Craig (CR) so succinctly put it (if he doesn't mind me quoting):

Quote:
There are plenty of fora out there for such discussion (politics & religion). If people are that interested in the topics, they can and should go there. I make this comment not to suppress free discussion, but to keep the focus of this forum in mind.
I'm sure an occasional mention, say, of Space: 1999's spiritual undertones will pop up from time to time, and I'm not calling for a ban of such discussion as it pertains to a particular episode or season. Same with political discussions, say, about the politics of S99 (Commissioner Simmonds, for example). But general religion & politics unrelated to the series (or UFO, or Thunderbirds, or...) has little place here, and serves only to get people angry at each other.

I hope that most people will agree with your decision, realising that we're here to have fun discussing old sf tv shows, rather than arguing with each other over real-life issues.
Makes sense to me.

I'll leave the Rubber Room up and open for another 24hrs or so to let you vent-off what's on your mind but after that it'll be history. I'll prune it for some otherwise useful/friendly topics an stick those back in 'The Troubled Spirit'.

We've kinda lost that 'warm, fuzzy feeling' here of late - let's get back on topic and get it back!

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Fozzy
Computer Technician

I agree with you whole heartedly on this Eagle. This site is dedicated to all things S99. If topics outside of this are desired, go to the respective site and chat about that all you want. Keep it simple - Keep it S99!
Fozzy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I agree with this too. If one wants to debate politics or religion, I'd suggest that a modelmaking forum is a pretty poor choice as a suitable venue. I don't believe the vast majority have come here for the off topic threads.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Communications Officer

Problem here is that all that stuff will just end up back in 'The troubled spirit' as before.
29390 is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
mrpsychopath
Communications Officer

thought being a forum for fans and collectors politics can go somewhere else.
mrpsychopath is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29390 View Post
Problem here is that all that stuff will just end up back in 'The troubled spirit' as before.
We will just bin it if it appears again...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Never really checked it out, so I won't miss it.

Question:

Can we replace this with a specific area for all media references to Space 1999? I know we've had some threads about that subject here and there, but I think it would be nice to have a dedicated area.

Also, it would be good to get to know the forum members who are "experts" on this. There are time when I'm watching other sci-fi movies or shows, and could swear they are using S99 clips, sound effects, etc...but it's really difficult and sometimes time consuming to do the research and check it out.

What do you think?
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Perhaps the rubber room should be quietly sealed off, attached to a spare spine booster, and blasted into space. And from the look of it, some inside may not even realise it if it happened...
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:03 AM   #9
jockdeboer
Medical Technician

great idea
jockdeboer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Hate to say "I told you so" but this is the very reason I was against it from the start.
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Fair one. It's sometimes worth experimenting though. In this case, it didn't really work and it possibly created more ill-feeling and negativity than it was worth.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

To be honest I'd never visited that thread that often so won't miss it
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
Eagle
Commander Ret.

RR is now history. I did however move a fair few threads into Troubled Spirit as they were seemingly inoco... innocuu... harmless enough.

I haven't banned 'contentious subject areas' outright:

Quote:
Starting topics on Politics, Religion and other contentious subjects is strongly discouraged / frowned upon
...although this will remain under constant review. An outright ban may become necessary. Before you post, please think if it's for the good and benefit of the forum.

Please see updated forum description on the front page for details.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I've been dwelling on the ethos and general direction of this forum lately and, with the wise input from our moderators, have decided to can Commissioner Simmonds' Rubber Room, effective shortly.

As Craig (CR) so succinctly put it (if he doesn't mind me quoting):

Makes sense to me.

I'll leave the Rubber Room up and open for another 24hrs or so to let you vent-off what's on your mind but after that it'll be history. I'll prune it for some otherwise useful/friendly topics an stick those back in 'The Troubled Spirit'.

We've kinda lost that 'warm, fuzzy feeling' here of late - let's get back on topic and get it back!

eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yes, but if the dross still finds it's way to TTS instead of RR, all you've done is effectively put both eggs in one basket. There's a psychological feeling of disappointment when you click 'New Posts' to discover only non Anderson related tosh. I'd sooner it showed 'no new posts' in preference to new but pointless posts. Those with time to kill can easily find their own way to TTS.

Old 14-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #16
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Do we still want the TS section masked from forum searches? With the RR gone, I'd rather get everything else back on the same playing field.
TS has never been masked from forum searches - is it an issue? S'pose I could mask it.
Old 14-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I think you're right JD. IIRC didn't Eagle make the TTS not show up in New Posts following the epidemic of mindless threads/questions? We had to mobilise the penguin force. It hasn't shown for a while (hooray!) and then RR was created and that didn't show either.
Old 14-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
TS has never been masked from forum searches - is it an issue? S'pose I could mask it.
You don't need to. It's already masked off from new searches I do. Please don't change it!!
29390 is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote