Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #81
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer
 
DX-SFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You're forgiven...



... if there's pictures.
They're burnt into my brain. I was trying desperately not to dribble and blabber like a blithering idiot. A very sweet fun lady. Her trailer was parked right outside the studio stores. The stores did about three times the trade it normally does all the time she was there. Can't imagine why.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #82
JD
Medical Officer
 
JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 3,312
Default

JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #83
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer
 
DX-SFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,094
Default

These are just perks of the job. You can't help but bump into the occasional famous person sooner or later lest anyone thinks I'm boasting about it. Most of the time it's straight forward graft. And on that note, I have to log off or I'll be late in tomorrow morning.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 07-12-2009 at 12:09 AM.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #84
Known Space
Eagle Pilot
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Up North! Well, Yorkshire!
Posts: 587
Default

Went to see Harry Brown a few weeks back. My God, I didn't half jump a couple of times!! Grim stuff , but done very very well !!! I shall avoid all graffettied underpasses forever!
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #85
Name changed by request
Exile
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known Space View Post
Went to see Harry Brown a few weeks back. My God, I didn't half jump a couple of times!! Grim stuff , but done very very well !!! I shall avoid all graffettied underpasses forever!
What is Harry Brown?


EDIT: I know it now! I will go and see it!

Last edited by Name changed by request; 07-12-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #86
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer
 
DX-SFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,094
Default

I made all the stunt replica knives. One guy gets a bayonet in the back, one a Marines knife through his arm and Michael Caine stabs another with a retracting flick knife. Being a big fan of "Get Carter", (the original), the similarity between this and a scene from GC wasn't lost on me although the context within the story is a lot different. They had to be made because the director chose the knives purely for looks without considering if it was easy to hire suitable replicas for stunt work. It wasn't. It's a good film that you come out thinking about but definitely, as Known Space suggests, a bit on on the grim side.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 07-12-2009 at 07:22 PM.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #87
healvis
Communications Officer
 
healvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
These are just perks of the job. You can't help but bump into the occasional famous person sooner or later lest anyone thinks I'm boasting about it. Most of the time it's straight forward graft. And on that note, I have to log off or I'll be late in tomorrow morning.
I only worked at Shepperton for about a year doing an independent CBBC drama but while I was there I did see a lot of familiar faces, and chatted to a few old timers like francis de la tour(mad as eggs)who was filming poirot next door. It was at the same week that me and the gaffer from the show, rushing to the pub for our lunch almost reversed into james fox and david soul coming out of the studio door( they were quite spritely for older men). I loved my time at Shepperton because there was always something happening around the corner. I also had a great photo of my mate(the gaffer again) *issing up the wall of the No 10 Downing Street set used for love actually, very unprofessional but necessary.

Back on track....Nobody mentioned 2001: A Space Odyssey. Probably one of the finest pieces sci-fi ever produced.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #88
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer
 
SPACE 1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
Sad to say (much as I enjoy the original triolagy), Star Wars (and trek) are far more popular-thus more merchandicing! Partly to do with continuing series/franchising and partly to do with the fact that a lot of people under a certain age have never seen anything else, particularly GA stuff! Sad but true!!!
Indeed - I went to my local supermarket today and guess what was included in the selection of various Year 2010 annuals on display, in amongst Hanna Montana and Beano - yes - Star Wars Annual 2010 !!!

Obviously the Star Wars merchandising force is still strong...
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #89
Name changed by request
Exile
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 0
Default

Frances De La Tour is now regarded as a national treasure! I don't think she is happy being recognised as Miss Jones but she is a fine damn actress! Her brother is Andy De La Tour.

Your mate in Downing Street, well I could think of a better target! I saw that film(Love Actually) on a flight to JFK as the alternative films were worse!

God! The people you and DX SFX have met! I am bloody envious!

- J


Quote:
Originally Posted by healvis View Post
I only worked at Shepperton for about a year doing an independent CBBC drama but while I was there I did see a lot of familiar faces, and chatted to a few old timers like francis de la tour(mad as eggs)who was filming poirot next door. It was at the same week that me and the gaffer from the show, rushing to the pub for our lunch almost reversed into james fox and david soul coming out of the studio door( they were quite spritely for older men). I loved my time at Shepperton because there was always something happening around the corner. I also had a great photo of my mate(the gaffer again) *issing up the wall of the No 10 Downing Street set used for love actually, very unprofessional but necessary.

Back on track....Nobody mentioned 2001: A Space Odyssey. Probably one of the finest pieces sci-fi ever produced.

Last edited by Name changed by request; 08-12-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #90
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer
 
SPACE 1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by healvis View Post
Back on track....Nobody mentioned 2001: A Space Odyssey. Probably one of the finest pieces sci-fi ever produced.
...and one of the SLOWEST MOVING...(with the possible exception of the original Solaris film).
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #91
cricket
Medical Officer
 
cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 4,560
Default

I agree 2001 is slow compared to modern, frenetic movies, but it still has the power to grab an audience. When we watched it last summer with my 11 year old son, he sat mesmerized throughout the entire thing.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #92
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer
 
Steve Gerard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: east coast U.S.A.
Posts: 3,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
I agree 2001 is slow compared to modern, frenetic movies, but it still has the power to grab an audience.
I agree.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #93
healvis
Communications Officer
 
healvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 943
Default

You have to remember 2001 was never an action film it was more of a mystery type film. Star Wars(A New Hope) on the other hand was pure action and a film that can only be appreciated by watching it on a big screen in the drab 70's when it came out. It was also the first film to have mass merchandising, and it is this, i believe, that has given it such longevity in it's appeal. When it first came to the cinema in the town I lived in we had storm troopers and darth vader marching up and down the street to promote it. The marketing campaign must have cost more than the film.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #94
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer
 
SPACE 1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,284
Default

I have finally got round to emailing the organisers of the Show - see text below -

START
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello -

I am just emailing to thank you for organising such a great Memorabilia Show at the Birmingham NEC in November. This was the first time I had attended one, and I was most impressed. One of the ladies on the Information Booth was particularly helpful and friendly and gave me a guide book and also showed me on the floorplan where the guests from Space 1999 were located - Prentis Hancock and Catherine Schell.

I had a great time chatting with Prentis (who played Paul) and Catherine (who played Maya) about their memories of Space 1999 and also got signed phtographs and then some other Space 1999 memorabilia from some of the other traders - a truly great day out.

I am really looking forward to the March Memorabilia Show and would like to ask you to PLEASE PLEASE try and get some more ex Space 1999 cast members to attend - eg Ziena Merton (who played Sandra, and who was due to appear at the November Show but was ill and could not attend in the end) and also Suzanne Roquette (who played Tanya and who I had the pleasure with speaking with on an American blog radio interview phone in last Saturday - I told her about the November Show and Prentis and Catherine attending and I asked her if she would be interested in attending the March Show and she said yes - so PLEASE do email me back with details of who to contact and their contact details and I can then pass those details onto the American blog radio presenter to forward onto Suzanne for her to get in touch).

My ONLY complaint was the fact that Prentis Hancock was located right next to a very noisy wrestling ring which made conversation very difficult / indeed. Please could you give whoever organised that ridiculous arrangement a good kicking up the backside, It seemed very very disrespectful to the actors in question to locate them in a postion where it was extremely difficult to have conversations with people who were paying good money to do just that, because of very loud wrestling happening only a few feet away. Please addresss this issue in time for the March Show..

I would very much apprectiate a reply to this email - I look forward to hearing from you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
END

Looking forward to seeing the guest list for the March 2010 Show - I do hope Suzanne Roquette (Tanya) can make it - she was surely the SPACE 1999 YEAR 1 NUMBER ONE BABE
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #95
Name changed by request
Exile
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 0
Default

Steve!

It is people like you that that these organizers need feedback from: to make each exhibition better than before! They will appreciate a positive upbeat well-constructed email such as this.

So, well done.

- J

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
I have finally got round to emailing the organisers of the Show - see text below -

START
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello -

I am just emailing to thank you for organising such a great Memorabilia Show at the Birmingham NEC in November. This was the first time I had attended one, and I was most impressed. One of the ladies on the Information Booth was particularly helpful and friendly and gave me a guide book and also showed me on the floorplan where the guests from Space 1999 were located - Prentis Hancock and Catherine Schell.

I had a great time chatting with Prentis (who played Paul) and Catherine (who played Maya) about their memories of Space 1999 and also got signed phtographs and then some other Space 1999 memorabilia from some of the other traders - a truly great day out.

I am really looking forward to the March Memorabilia Show and would like to ask you to PLEASE PLEASE try and get some more ex Space 1999 cast members to attend - eg Ziena Merton (who played Sandra, and who was due to appear at the November Show but was ill and could not attend in the end) and also Suzanne Roquette (who played Tanya and who I had the pleasure with speaking with on an American blog radio interview phone in last Saturday - I told her about the November Show and Prentis and Catherine attending and I asked her if she would be interested in attending the March Show and she said yes - so PLEASE do email me back with details of who to contact and their contact details and I can then pass those details onto the American blog radio presenter to forward onto Suzanne for her to get in touch).

My ONLY complaint was the fact that Prentis Hancock was located right next to a very noisy wrestling ring which made conversation very difficult / indeed. Please could you give whoever organised that ridiculous arrangement a good kicking up the backside, It seemed very very disrespectful to the actors in question to locate them in a postion where it was extremely difficult to have conversations with people who were paying good money to do just that, because of very loud wrestling happening only a few feet away. Please addresss this issue in time for the March Show..

I would very much apprectiate a reply to this email - I look forward to hearing from you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
END

Looking forward to seeing the guest list for the March 2010 Show - I do hope Suzanne Roquette (Tanya) can make it - she was surely the SPACE 1999 YEAR 1 NUMBER ONE BABE

Last edited by Name changed by request; 14-12-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com