Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #41
Slartibartfast
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
Lets just remember that thanks to the sacrifice of tens of thousands of our fathers and grandfathers 65 years ago in these "acts of terrorism,or tactically pointless" missions,we are all free to argue this topic,NOW CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!
Would that be the relevance of an event in the depths of the cosmos or the wisdom of turning the lessons we can learn from it into an even more efficient way of annihilating ourselves?

Just asking...
Slartibartfast is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #42
Slartibartfast
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Some would argue that finding alternatives to oil solves all the problems. Wars are basically land grabs.

(posted at the same time as Eagle's post).
Well said - my point precisely.
Slartibartfast is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #43
steve36uk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Would that be the relevance of an event in the depths of the cosmos or the wisdom of turning the lessons we can learn from it into an even more efficient way of annihilating ourselves?

Just asking...
Post #1............
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #44
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I don't know about Anti-Matter but I've got an Aunty Martha. She'd make a scary weapon.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #45
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Interesting how 'it would make a great weapon.'
Not 'it would make a great energy source' or 'it would change our understanding of physics.'
A weapon.

It would make a great weapon for the country that possesses it; not so great for, oh, everyone else. But that's OK, as long as you don't live in the 'everyone else' countries, right?
But fear not! Like so many weapons in history, other countries will soon have it, too, and the balance of power will, well, balance somewhat. Until the next great weapon comes along.

And round and round we go...
I agree with you CR. But what did humanity have first, nuclear bombs or nuclear power plants? (actually, I don't know) Considering what we spend in the US on the military, this is probably the only way this technology gets developed. If we say its for bomb developement, they'll get the money, if its for energy research, forget it.

As for dropping the bomb on Japan, that did shorten the war. But both Us and English airforces had been carpet bombing cities already during the war. Tokyo was such a target.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0310-08.htm

This doesn't make it right. But would you feel better if 500 hundred bombers dropped separate loads to destroy Hiroshima?

The only positive we can say is that nuclear bombs haven't been used since, but nuclear power has. Hopefully anti-matter bombs will never be used, but their energy developement will benefit all.

Of course, whats worse, being at the mercy of the military or the energy company?

Ok, it's Saturday morning, I'm going to lighten up for the rest of the day!!
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #46
steve36uk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
I don't know about Anti-Matter but I've got an Aunty Martha. She'd make a scary weapon.
A Woman of mass destruction???
Old 16-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #47
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Helium 3 will make it all moot if we can hold out long enough.
Old 16-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #48
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
A Woman of mass destruction???
Stand in her way and annihilation guaranteed.
Old 16-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #49
steve36uk
Communications Officer

" ...My cats breath smells like Cat Food...."
Old 16-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #50
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Bringing things back on topic...

What tickles me about this sort of discovery is how it can be explained by ‘known’ science. By that I mean we don’t need to invent yet another particle or invoke ‘dark energy’ or similar Medieval-sounding magic. Simply that, under extreme conditions – in this case the starting size of the star – processes kick in that don’t normally occur.

What depresses me is that the price of radioactive nickel just dropped through the floor.

Without wandering too far off-topic, I’d agree that what we need ASAP is some clean energy. However I’m doubtful such a holy-grail exists. Whatever we use to power our civilisation must have some by-product (even water vapour) and at the scale we would apply it, I don’t see the Earth remaining the same for very long. I’m not invoking Gaia or anything mystical, just saying that perhaps this planet (or indeed any planet) cannot take more than a certain level of society at our level of industrialisation.

What are the options:
• Rein back our lifestyle – like trying to stop an avalanche!
• Develop the holy-grail of a cheap/non-polluting/renewable energy supply – see above
• Start looking to move off-planet – see below

While I’m not suggesting we all move to the Moon (old joke, no atmosphere), both the increasing likelihood of self-eradication here on Earth, plus the waning resources and increasingly hostile environment suggest that we start to spread out.

After all – coming full circle - the next supernova could be in our back-yard.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #51
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Birth control.
Old 16-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #52
CR
Science Officer

Sure, DX, tell me to breed in one post on the last page, then bring up birth control!

By the way, VTracy, I wasn't debating anything about the a-bombs used against Japan, and am well aware of the carpet bombing raids that had been going on there and would have continued had the war not ended quickly. My whole point had simply been a general one about weapons development. (And yes, I realise that many civilian applications of new technology--including medicine--came about from their earlier applications in military ways. Doesn't mean that I can't wish for us to turn it around in this day and age, though, and try to fight later if needed, instead of fighting first and asking questions later. See my earlier posts, though, about what I feel the chances are of that happening.)

Anti-matter stars, eh? Hey, we should talk about that...
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #53
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Let's bring it back on-topic, folks.

Honestly, the whole reason for posting this, was for the wonder of it all.
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #54
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Before getting back on topic I just want to mention an experience I had when I was in the Civil Air Patrol. When I was 16, I went to the CAP version of "boot camp", which is an 8 week course.It was a "boot camp" that we did everything done in a that setting but in a shortened schedule,including firearms training. It was held at a SAC base. They took us to a missile silo command center. We sat in the commander's and junior commander's seat. At that time, there were Minuteman missile silos filled enough firepower to kill at least 10 to 20 million people. Sitting in that seat was like sitting in God's chair. You know at a turn on a switch those missiles were heading their targets somewhere in Russia. By the way the man who "married" the A-Bomb and missile was Bernard A. Schriever and is the "father of the ICBM".A little trivia to end this discussion.

I just wanted to get this off my chest

NOW we can resume anti-matter stars........

Last edited by eaglewingone; 17-01-2010 at 09:33 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote