Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
aj-1701
Hydroponics Technician

MMM... I was going to do all the fuel pods and landing struts but when I had a good look at the main engine mount frame which was buried under some heavy n thick flash. I found myself with dremel in hand and engine components on the bench....

After cleaning up the flash and getting the frame to look like tubes again I then made up the support frame behind the main thrusters using some evergreen tube as well as a large piece for the central frame work in the middle. The kit does come with some evergreen tube to help with the spine and additional supports in the engine frame though not enough when you muck up your measurments. Other extras I add are the small injectors on each of the bells, some addition piping to go from the fuel tank lines to the main mixer tanks behind each bell and the raised baffles on each of the reactor/mixer tanks. So now depending on the weather I should start the priming and final fill/touch ups over the next few nights.

Cheers,

Alec
aj-1701 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
aj-1701
Hydroponics Technician

I have got the business end pretty much done now, I just have to hook in and do the shading and moon dust detail. One of the things I did change before commiting to paint was the little chambers and connecting pipes on the reactor units. I discovered that I had positioned them in the wrong place. I also realized that I had some of the fuel pipes wrong too, compared to the 44" studio hero but I kind of like my configuration so I left it. I have also discovered the joys and pitfalls of auto pin stripping.

There were some very numerous little pin holes on most of the reactor chambers which reared there ugly selves on the first coat of white. :freak: but some filler n sanding soon sorted them out. All the decals on the engines, companionway and frame work are from various star trek decals from the bits box. Can any trek builders out there pick which ones and what they are...? As for the black n white check on the feul cells they are some carefully trimmed decals from my WH40k ork decal sheets. The orange and grey panels are a/brushed with a red biro line drawn around the orange rectangles for added detail. I actually got away with an experiment too. I added extra black to the inside of the main thrusters where the baffles have those holes cut out. I figure this would be a greater concentration of carbon scoring from the main boosters being kicked in...

I realized my build may not conform completly within the laws of canon and the studio models but I reckon shes turning out nicely. And after seeing those limited edition diecasts kits/prebuilds in the same scale out there for $500 plus aussie dollars I'm more than happy with my kit.

Cheers,

Alec.

Last edited by JD; 09-03-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Pics put inline, so thread isn't skewed sideways
Old 09-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
healvis
Communications Officer

Well done Alec, looks good mate.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #24
tweaker
Medical Technician

Nice thread.

I too have the Replicas Unlimited 23" and have been wondering if there are any other replacement parts besides the engine bells for this kit?
tweaker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #25
MikeMercury
Astrophysics Technician

Mike Reader also does aluminium sensor dishes for the CM
MikeMercury is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #26
aj-1701
Hydroponics Technician

Slow n steady wins the race... As they say.

I decided to make a serious effort at starting work on the fuel pods this week end. I did have one together for a while but disassembled it to tweek things on it. I just wasn't happy with the way the scissor type sections sat on the leg struts...

So I did some surgery to modify them...

With a result that seems to have a better look n feel to them...

Working with the parts supplied with the kit I also attacked the retro thruster units with the trusty dremel and conical engraving bit to remove the inside of the cones so they went from this...

To this...

I have to admit that I was a might nervous about making actual working legs but a good measure of patience and belief in one self got the job done a treat. I did some panel and basic shade work on the completed pod.

I plan to get all the pods to this stage before I go and add a few more crisper panel lines priot to sealing them off to decal and dust down.

Cheers,

Alec.
Old 29-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #27
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Coming together nicely Alec.
MikeMercury-How might I go about contacting Mike Reader for said replacement parts?

Last edited by HUNCH; 29-04-2010 at 06:32 PM.
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #28
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Not wanting to throw any more money at PE/16/12 etc....I had my wife pick this kit up for me as a late B-day present. For $200 US it is a really cool kit!
Just saving up for Mikes aluminum bells and sensor dishes now.

So Alec, hows it coming brother? Looks real nice thus far and should be a nice display model when you are finished.
Jim
Old 07-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #29
aj-1701
Hydroponics Technician

Thanks Hunch

It's actually been on hold for a bit as I worked on another project... Last week end I finished off the 3rd leg/fuel pod & tonite I started on the last one as well as putting the last coats of white on the main spine before I start detailing it. I've also remade the brackets to hold the spine in place, to me I just felt the ones supplied in the kit were a little weak... I also picked up via evilbay an old AMT Moonbase Alpha kit. Which even though is a little inaccurate I am going to try and work it in as part of the display base... But as they say- slow n steady wins the race...

Cheers,

Alec.
Old 14-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #30
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

I am planning to get one of my very own from Replicas Unlimited
myself,plus the Hawk that will go with it.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #31
aj-1701
Hydroponics Technician

Well between work, struggling to get my 'A' license for skydiving, working on other projects and coming to the party late with the nu BSG episode marithons I finally finished the Eagle.

It's properbly looks a little over weathered (helps hide some of the problem/not quite right areas )... But based on the fact that it is just over ten years since the moon was torn from earths orbit and with the Eagle being basicaly a modular type of craft. I worked around this as the premise for the build. Now there are some things I would do diffently were I to tackle (not) another one foremost of those would be to use softer springs in the leg suspension and either aluminum or s/steel tube for the legs as well. The brass tube supplied is a pain to paint... When complete it is a weighty solid kit but the only way to get any suspension happening with the legs is to seriously push down on it. I would also consider lighting the command module too.

Now having had my little gripe I am truely happy to have built and now display what I think is truely one of the better visualised sci-fi vehicles of the 20th century, behind the TOS "E" of coarse. Origionaly I was going to use an old AMT Moonbase Alpha model as part of the display but with the finished size of the Eagle I just went with a simple base painted up to represent part of one of the launch pads. I also mounted it on some 1/4" plastic rod wrapped in cotton wool and airbrushed up to give the impression that it was lifting off.

Now it's back to more Nu BSG...

Cheers,

Alec.
Old 16-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #32
aj-1701
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop Artist View Post
I am planning to get one of my very own from Replicas Unlimited
myself,plus the Hawk that will go with it.
I too thought about the Hawk but after the Eagle I'm just going to stick mostly with the rest of my stash of styrene kits, save the 18" TB3 resin kit of coarse. Not to mention a serious dent in the budget with my skydiving persuits... But good luck with the kits when you get and start them

Cheers,

Alec.
Old 17-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #33
HUNCH
Communications Officer

Very nice Alec! That will make a great display piece! Hope mine comes out as good when I get around to it.
Jim