Default BBC News Item re NASA's Plans for a Moonbase

Eagles and references to Space:1999 on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6217344.stm

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
CR
Science Officer

That was an entertaining article! Some of the people who posted comments about it seem to take it a little too seriously, though.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
That was an entertaining article! Some of the people who posted comments about it seem to take it a little too seriously, though.
Indeedy... I think 'Elliott of Kingston' may be under the impression that NASA plan to set off a huge nuclear explosion on the Moon and send it hurtling through space!
Elric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Interesting article indeed.
Quote:
Indeedy... I think 'Elliott of Kingston' may be under the impression that NASA plan to set off a huge nuclear explosion on the Moon and send it hurtling through space!
Maybe accidentally, I really do not think they could pull it off if even they tried to though.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB
Interesting article indeed.
Maybe accidentally, I really do not think they could pull it off if even they tried to though.
Probably not... and it wouldn't be a vote winner anyway

I can't see a moonbase happening anytime soon. It all depends on a nation (or nations) getting a political 'bonus' from doing it and I don't think most people even care about space research and exploration. A lot of people probably think that there already are bases on the Moon.

Look how quickly the later Apollo missions and the planned missions to Mars in the 80's got dropped after the 'we did it' bonus started to fade away.

The amazing success of the 2 Mars Rovers shows what can be done without needing a human presence in space.

Maybe the time for humans to leave orbit is a little further down the road and we should build better robots to do all the prospecting and lab work for us for a while longer?

The ISS is providing lots of data and experience on living in space long term and carrying out work in zero-g etc.. that will help in the future.

We might actually have a decent launch system by then instead of that tin 'firework' they plan to replace the Shuttle!

Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

100 Bonus Points to anyone who can get a link (or even a subliminal one) to this forum on the comments bit!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
100 Bonus Points to anyone who can get a link (or even a subliminal one) to this forum on the comments bit!
Well I've tried, It depends on how much, if any of my comments they use!

I put this in as as a google search should lead them here

It is nice to see the 'Eagle Transporter' from Space:1999 used in this article. Still very popular as a quick google reveals!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

I was just a kid during Apollo and remember going to my Aunts house to watch launches because she had a colour TV.
I was writing to NASA at the age of eight and got the most wonderful posters etc from them. I can still remember the address.
What a time to live in that was. To say I was totally enthralled would be an understatement.

So believe me JD I hope you are right!

But there are always cost overruns and technical hitches that seem to foul up even the best planned projects.

Lets just hope that the military keep their noses well away from this one.

Granted if NASA can 'produce' a manned lunar program as good as the stunning Mars Rovers then they will succeed.

I'd just hate to see the unmanned programs that NASA and others are doing so well with be stopped because the money was used elsewhere.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:55 AM   #9
CR
Science Officer

That was well said, JD.

You seem familiar to me, now that we're talking about real space exploration... have you posted at Bad Astronomy or the ApolloHoax forum? (I occasionally post at the former, and lurk/learn at the latter.)
Old 10-12-2006, 02:18 AM   #10
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
Not me, CR. This is the only forum I'm registered on right now. I've lurked at the RPF, and joined Hobbytalk briefly just for the Moonbus thread, which was dead last I looked, but this was THE must-join forum, for me.
No worries; the way you said what you said just seemed like something I'd seen around, so I thought I'd ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
But, besides the Century 21 shows and beyond, the real space programs were the things that imprinted me at a very early age, and still give me that sense-of-wonder. For the record:
Man on the Moon (1969): Yes!
Lunar landing a hoax: NO!!
Good on you, then!
Although I can't help but wonder about the other moon landings, since you only mention 1969...

Old 10-12-2006, 02:23 AM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
.... and joined Hobbytalk briefly just for the Moonbus thread,.....
I was very active contributing to that thread but as you say, it seems to have died somewhat. They seem obsessed getting the interior to fit the exterior rather than getting on with the more important task of producing accurate drawings of the exterior.

Be warned though. There's currently 43 pages of it:

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showth...1&page=1&pp=15
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
ashford
Life Support Technician

I am sad enough to find the talk of a moonbase exciting, even though I know it will be nothing like Alpha (anyone fancy digging three quarters of a mile into the lunar surface? Gravity towers? Synthcrete?). If I'm honest part of the appeal of Space-anything is the promise of starting over in a world free of the mess of history. There is something exhilirating about this, fantasy though it may be. No wonder the hippy thing and the Sci-Fi thing go together. That's why Alpha is so perfect (even the name) in all its gleaming, stainless, Puritan whiteness.
ashford is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote