Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #61
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
You are not missing too much. THE BLACK HOLE POSTER MAGAZINE 1979 was like the 1970s STAR TREK POSTER MAGAZINES and STAR WARS POSTER MAGAZINES. Simply put a large poster that folds into a magazine consisting of only six 8"x11" pages.
I agree. Poster magazines were kind of a waste. But, considering that the sci-fi craze of the '70s was just kicking in, it was a good way to get a little more (VERY little more) info on sci-fi movies & TV shows. In addition to the poster mags listed, there was also a series published by Starlog ("SF Poster Magazine" #1-6, the last two being one-shots focusing on "Moonraker" & "Salvage 1"), one for the original "Battlestar Galactica" & a series for the original "Star Trek" as well as more "one-shots" for "Magic", "Sgt. Pepper", "Rocky Horror" & a very unusual one for "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of War Of the Worlds" which had a nice set of schematics for the Martian Tripods. That's probably the coolest one considering, at least in the USA, there was no merchandising for the rock opera. I remember there was an article inside about it being made into a film! Oh, well...
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #62
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
I agree. Poster magazines were kind of a waste. But, considering that the sci-fi craze of the '70s was just kicking in, it was a good way to get a little more (VERY little more) info on sci-fi movies & TV shows. In addition to the poster mags listed, there was also a series published by Starlog ("SF Poster Magazine" #1-6, the last two being one-shots focusing on "Moonraker" & "Salvage 1"), one for the original "Battlestar Galactica" & a series for the original "Star Trek" as well as more "one-shots" for "Magic", "Sgt. Pepper", "Rocky Horror" & a very unusual one for "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of War Of the Worlds" which had a nice set of schematics for the Martian Tripods. That's probably the coolest one considering, at least in the USA, there was no merchandising for the rock opera. I remember there was an article inside about it being made into a film! Oh, well...
Same story four years ago- but Jeff Wayne is doing more business with his live shows now so no film
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #63
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage the Owl View Post
Yup, agree with you about the John Barry music, an updated & complete CD of the score has been on the list of a lot of soundtrack collectors for years, but sadly nothing has appeared other than rumours.
Can't say I agree with y'all about the score for "The Black Hole". Though not my favorite composer, John Barry IS in my "Top Ten" list, after Jerry Goldsmith (the BEST), John Williams, James Horner, Alan Silvestri, etc. To be honest, I think Barry's score for BH was one of his worst. Boring, repetitive & unexciting. Considering he had a lot more time to do it than, say, Jerry Goldsmith had for "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" (TWO WEEKS!!), I was expecting quite a bit more out of it. It doesn't come anywhere near the quality of his work for the James Bond films, "King Kong" (1976) or any of his other great work ("King Kong" is one of my faves...now, THAT needs a CD release...it's beautiful!).
Old 19-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #64
Retroboy
Astrophysics Technician

Re watched Black Hole yesterday , in the opening scenes with Vincent to the left of the control consol , is that someones hand up his bottom ?
Retroboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #65
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
It's still available-try to avoid the City of Prague version though-not quite the same.
Actually, the soundtrack for "Zulu", at least the one I have which is a re-release of the LP, is not ALL music from "Zulu". Other tracks included are from "Mary, Queen Of Scots", among others...

Old 15-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #66
leebingate
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardster View Post
Another "post web-browsing" update: it looks like there was a catalog of the "Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives" book available at the expo:

http://micechat.com/forums/d23-disne...d-edition.html

And it looks like someone might have scanned some pages from it:

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...ris/?start=all

The image of Max shows some details I'll have to double-check against the movie, to be sure they're what they seem to be; or are 'in the original'.
I believe that "Cinefantastique" ran a cover article on this movie when it was released back in the Christmas of '79.
They did two covers, the other being ST-TMP which came out at the same time, I think I have this issue somewhere at home. If my memory isnt playing tricks I think the cover image was a pre production painting of the Cygnus entering the hole.
I'll have a ferret around & see if I can find it.
Good luck though to anyone trying to do something with the old MPC kit, its been in my stash since it was released but its such a simplified moulding it would basically be a scratch build exercise to make it look anything like the ship on the screen.
The two robot kits are pretty good though.

Last edited by JD; 16-03-2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Removing link to movie download site
leebingate is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 04:19 AM   #67
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Leebinggate, if you look at the top of the page in this thread you will see the Cinefantastique cover. I have that issue and very impressive it is too. The Black Hole Annual that was sort of a sequel to the film had a concept painting of the Cygnus that was approximately the same proportions as the film model but without the distinct glazing.

This expired Ebay ad has it, the second pic in the book cover

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-The-B...18133001r28347
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #68
PoorMansJB
Alphan

Recognize this is an older thread but just stumbled on it.

There IS a "Black Hole" Making Of book. It was published in Japan. The majority of the photos, sketches, etc. can be found in other the other books, magazines, etc. already cited but there are a few exclusives. If there's something specific, let me know and I'll have a look. If it's in the book, I'll scan and post.
PoorMansJB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #69
dilbertman
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansJB View Post
Recognize this is an older thread but just stumbled on it.

There IS a "Black Hole" Making Of book. It was published in Japan. The majority of the photos, sketches, etc. can be found in other the other books, magazines, etc. already cited but there are a few exclusives. If there's something specific, let me know and I'll have a look. If it's in the book, I'll scan and post.
Never knew there was a Making Of book for The Black Hole. Could you scan the cover?

Jim
dilbertman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #70
PoorMansJB
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman View Post
Never knew there was a Making Of book for The Black Hole. Could you scan the cover?

Jim
Here's a link to a scan of the cover:

And since the thread was ostensibly about Maximillian, here's a link to a cut-away illustration in the book.

The book starts with cut-aways, moves to pre-production art, then retells the plot of the film in pictures (including scenes/angles cut from the movie), and ends with bios of the cast and crew along with various behind-the-scenes photos (particularly of ACES).

I used to have a huge collection of BH stuff, including the Italian toys, but I've sold most of it off over the years ... in part because, as I got older, the movie lost alot of it's charm. Nonetheless, some of the visuals are still mind-boggling: watch when the camera pans across the dining room ... ignore the foreground action and just look out the window. Amazing.

Old 25-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #71
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

PoorMansJB, thanks for posting images of the making of Black Hole publication. I never knew existed either.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #72
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Regardless of the fact this movie is 20,000 leagues in space, the ship design and effects in this movie are awesome!
John Barrys music is also excellent.
The Palamino looks like a deep space exploration vehicle and the Cygnus just looks incredible! Did you know that the Cygnus is based on the underside of Cromer Pier?
Peter Ellenshaw had a holiday home in this Norfolk town.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #73
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectors House View Post
Regardless of the fact this movie is 20,000 leagues in space.... Did you know that the Cygnus is based on the underside of Cromer Pier?
Interesting points.
Old 25-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #74
PoorMansJB
Alphan

So I have to tell my "brush with Ellenshaw"story ...

I walk into someone's office at work and they have a painting on the wall that wasn't there previously. I ask and she says she "wound-up" with it in her department's white elephant holiday gift exchange. I'm certain I recognize the style and, sure enough, it's signed Ellenshaw in the corner.

Thing is, it's not a recognizable matte painting. So, on a lark, I call the Disney Studios telling them I'm doing some research. They forward me on to the FX Department. And who answers the phone? Harrison Ellenshaw! (To me, this was a akin to calling the White House and by chance the Vice President picks up.)

At any rate, he tells me that away from the studio, his father did landscapes that were sold through various department stores and galleries, mostly in California. Moreover, if I could send a photo (this was way before email and digital cameras), he can probably tell me the full history of the piece.

I do this and he writes back with the name of the painting, the terrain it depicts, what it sold for, etc. As a result, the new owner gave the canvas a new frame (complete with inscribed plaque) and even went to the spot overlooking the Pacific where Peter must have stood with his easel (though the place is since overrun with condominiums, etc.)

The guy who brought the painting to the exchange in the first place was gutted to find out what he'd done (the piece didn't mean anything to him; his parents gave it to him to decorate his apartment) but, to his credit, he didn't ask for it back.

I love telling that story even though 90% of the time I get the same reaction as from the woman with the painting: Who's Peter Ellenshaw?

Last edited by PoorMansJB; 25-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 25-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #75
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
So I have to tell my "brush with Ellenshaw"story ...
PoorMansJB, great story.

Old 26-06-2010, 04:01 AM   #76
dilbertman
Chef

Quote:
I used to have a huge collection of BH stuff, including the Italian toys, but I've sold most of it off over the years ... in part because, as I got older, the movie lost alot of it's charm. Nonetheless, some of the visuals are still mind-boggling: watch when the camera pans across the dining room ... ignore the foreground action and just look out the window. Amazing.
If you ever plan on parting with this book, PM me.

Jim
dilbertman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote