Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default 4ft long 2001 Discovery is out - So why no Ultra Probe?

A 4ft long 2001 Discovery is out.

Now why can't someone do an Ultra Probe? Surely kitting one can't be that difficult?...
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

Hmmm...having seen the bare bones of a replica model in 1:48, there is a hell of a lot of kit detail there which would need replicating somehow - and it's a big bas**rd !

There's not a great deal of reference material in the public domain, so building one from what's available plus screen grabs would be the only option.

I would love one in scale with the PE 12" Eagles and reckon you'd be looking at something getting on for 3 foot long in that scale. It would be a beauty though...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

It's a complex model to kit. Look how long we had to wait for a "good" Eagle kit. The framework is thin and fragile which means it can't be cast in resin. That leaves white metal (which in this case is still too fragile and needs the master patterns to be done in brass) or it needs to be fabricated using EMA like the original, in which case you're pratically into scratchbuilding territory anyway. Most of the body components are EMA tube but all the kit detail makes casting the pieces very problematic. It just isn't worth the effort for the small niche market who would want one and the high price that would have to be charged.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
TonyB
Forum Supporter

As DX mentions it would probably not be looked at due to the percieved lack of interest in the subject matter, let alone the complexity of producing the project.

Shame though as it would be nice, big but nice.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

As a test, how much would people be prepared to pay for a kit of the UP at the same scale as the 12" Eagle?

50 UK Sterling

100 UK sterling

200 UK Sterling

Old 30-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I would be happy to pay anything up to about 100 for a kit like that, I would consider it at 200 but I would need to give it some serious thought though first.

Obviously from a buying point of view, the cheaper the cost the better, but I am a realist and would not have thought that 50 was anywhere near enough for a model like that.
Old 30-10-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Bear in mind that Jim Small's Metaprobe, which is a much, much simpler model retails for what, 75?

It boils down to how many kits are you likely to sell (probably less than forty), the cost of physical materials in the kit, all the time to master the patterns, all the time to actually make and cast the components in the kit, preparing artwork/decals/instructions and at a price people will pay. Would you do all that for what probably amounts to 2 an hour at the end of the day. Even PE who are mass producing stuff cheaply in China are cancelling Captain Scarlet items and those are for a mass market much bigger than our niche interests and arguably of more popular subjects in respect of the public as a whole.
Old 30-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
TonyB
Forum Supporter

DX, I fully understand what you are saying and where you are coming from and I totally and utterly agree with you, been there and done that to a lesser degree but I have personal experience of it. In my reply I was being what I percieve to be as Mr Average with regards to what I would happily pay for a kit.

I am not saying that I would not pay more, only that I would have to very carefully and very seriously consider what I would actually pay, being as personally I have rather tight funding restrictions, and unfortunatley there are many people in this situation and that in all probability is going to limit the market for a kit like this even more. I know what the work involved entiails and how many hours would be needed, something lost on a good many kit buyers unfortunately.

When the other Tony and myself were building dioramas, figures and models to sell when we stood at Memorabilia show's and Toy Fairs, we were under no illusion as to what the vast majority of people would pay for something, or rather more to the point what they would not pay for something.

I worked out on several occasions in the mid/late 1990s and eraly 2000s that in many cases the the best we could expect to get using an hourly rate to price one of our pieces would be the equivalent of around 2.00 per hour, at best, and that would be at a good show. That figure could actually drop to around approx 1.25 or even 1 an hour if the show was not so goods and we needed to accept a bit less to get the sale.

I stopped doing it in April 2003 because I was sick to death or working for next to nothing, granted I was not trying to pay the mortgage or anything like that, paying a few bills and to keep my hobyy financed was what I was doing it for, if I had been trying to make afull blown living out of it I would have stopped in the middle 1990s.
Old 30-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
As a test, how much would people be prepared to pay for a kit of the UP at the same scale as the 12" Eagle?

50 UK Sterling

100 UK sterling

200 UK Sterling
Whatever the 'kit maker' would reasonably charge for materials, research, manufacture and time (oh, and a little profit too of course).

If it gets produced in PE12 scale, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Even faster if someone was to build me one.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
w8cmp
Science Officer

I add my sentiments to that...

I think I'd happily pay 200 or more for a kit in scale with PE 12" Eagles...hell I'd pay a pretty good sum for some reference material to allow me to recreate my own from EMA parts etc...

It's such an elusive model to get proper details for but I would REALLY like to build one of these...

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
Howard
Deputy Commander

I'd love to see a nosecone in scale with a 44" Eagle...
I realise there's a lot of work involved, as it looks as though the CM is slightly 'slimmer' than the standard eagle CM.
Of course, we'd need Mike or someone to provide Aluminium bells.
I'd go 200 for such a beast.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote