Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-12-2006, 03:52 AM   #1
darthwalls
Computer Technician

Default First Season End Credits-Eagle with Science Pod?

Being new here I'm not sure if this is in the right place so please forgive me if not, but watching Space Brain again tonight I thought I noticed something new to me at the end. The first shot of the Eagle flying over the moon looked like it had a science pod on it. After rewinding and rewinding and pausing, I couldn't tell. So I went to Cosmos 1999 and found this image.
http://www.space1999.net/~cosmos1999...e/pic00074.jpg
Is that a science pod? I personally don't remember seeing that pod used until the second season. Put your cursor over the image and you can zoom in for a closer look.Was it ever used in the first season? Just something that has me puzzled.
darthwalls is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Good catch darthwalls

The Catacombs website has the answer to all your questions via this link:

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...epodboost.html
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 04:12 AM   #3
darthwalls
Computer Technician

That answers my question! How did I miss all of those shots? The shot from The AB Chrysalis is wrong. There are actually four in that shot.
Old 21-12-2006, 04:22 AM   #4
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

That's one of the great things with Space 1999 SFX; there are so many spectaculiar one off shots.

One of my favorite Lab pod images is seen during the evacuation of Alpha, in the episode "Guardian Of Piri". It is a reversed image of the Lab equipped 44" coming up the launch pad elevator.
Old 21-12-2006, 04:29 AM   #5
Neal
Astrophysics Technician

I have trouble noticing the FX in that episode, too focused on the Guardian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywestjet
That's one of the great things with Space 1999 SFX; there are so many spectaculiar one off shots.

One of my favorite Lab pod images is seen during the evacuation of Alpha in the episode "Guardian Of Piri". It is a reversed image of the Lab equipped 44" coming up the launch pad elevator.
Neal is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-12-2006, 04:31 AM   #6
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Good point!
Old 21-12-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
darthwalls
Computer Technician

I agree with you both!

(quote="Neal"]I have trouble noticing the FX in that episode, too focused on the Guardian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywestjet

One of my favorite Lab pod images is seen during the evacuation of Alpha in the episode "Guardian Of Piri". It is a reversed image of the Lab equipped 44" coming up the launch pad elevator.
[/quote]
Old 21-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

There are at least two shots of an Eagle rising on the elevator with Alpha visible in the background. In one of the DVD extras they show one of those shots being made. It was done with a matt painting (photograph?) in the forground, with the cross of the launchpad cut out, and the launchpad miniature about five feet furthur away from the camera.

Another great shot using a matt painting is the exit from the Eagle, shown in Full Circle and Another Time, Another Place. If seen only once (as opposed to on vidoe or DVD, where you can rewind endlessly) that shot looks very convincing.

Both of those SFX shots still hold up to this day.

This is even more impressive when you consider that in seven seasons of Star Trek TNG they only showed a shuttlecraft actually leaving the Enterprise from an outside viewpoint once, and showed a composited full size shuttle taking off from the bay with actors walking in the background only once. Those were done over ten years later, with much better technology, yet Space was still ahead on some of their SFX work.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The lab pod turns up fairly frequently in season one. "Last Enemy" shows it a number of times failing to take off.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote