Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Default B-29 Frozen in time, Heartbreaking restoration documentary

I hadnt seen this for many years, tried to find it again a while back with no success, just did some searching and its on youtube now, well worth an hours viewing...

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

I remember this epic quest to get that B-29 aloft. It was a documentary shown years ago and almost played out like a movie with all the challenges they valiantly fought. I remember they had to abandon their efforts one year to return the second year after which the chief engineer sucummbed to an illness that tragically took his life. The final nail was the fire I think in the radio bay that caused the whole plane to burn to a cinder just before its intended maiden flight....amazing but sad story..
LazyEagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
canveyjim
Astrophysics Technician

i watched this many years ago , it was over two nights , i just wanted to cry for them , the B-29 was moving to the end of the run way when it burst into flames , so sad .
canveyjim is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

I couldn't believe the ending to that one, after all that effort and sacrifice to have it burn up just before take-off - it was very sad!
Did you see the other similar documentary about the flight of WW2 aircraft buried under about 60 feet of ice, they had to dig a big hole and then managed to winch one out in bits - a twin-tail lightning I believe and they did get it to fly in the end.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

When I first viewed this B-29 documentary years ago, I was shocked at the ending...loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
Did you see the other similar documentary about the flight of WW2 aircraft buried under about 60 feet of ice, they had to dig a big hole and then managed to winch one out in bits - a twin-tail lightning I believe and they did get it to fly in the end.
Here is the WW2 P-38 recovery from Greenland:
http://p38assn.org/glacier-girl.htm
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
I couldn't believe the ending to that one, after all that effort and sacrifice to have it burn up just before take-off - it was very sad!

Dya know, I think that one was the one I originally remembered. as I didnt remember the plane catching fire. I must have got them mixed up.

but the keybird story, absolutley gut wrenching!

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Troy
Medical Technician

Default T 34

On the subject of recovery and restoration I've always found the recovery of this T34 to be quite astonishing http://www.vincelewis.net/t34
Troy is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Guest01
Alphan

yeah ive watched both and extremely good.i was in tears at the first one when she caught fire at the end,a lot of time ,effort and money went into getting her airborne ,again but sadly no.also one of the engineers if i can recall also died whilst doing this
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
TonyB
Science Officer

Very interesting videos, I love watching stuff like this, it was unfortunate about the B29 at the end though, as has been mentioned all that time effort and money lost forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote