SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
mike s
Communications Officer

Default The cost of financing replicas

hi everyone

I am very interested in quality replicas and I'm vaguely thinking of financing one myself - I'd love to see a high-quality, decent sized, SPC or Macs car for instance

What I haven't got a clue about is how much it would cost to produce/package/distribute etc.

So, anybody got any idea what it would cost to finance a 10 inch SPC model (and by 'model' I really mean a very highly accurate pre-assembled toy)

1) in plastic/resin

and

2) cast metal

either option would be with with proper nice-looking packaging

I know the plastic option would be a lot cheaper

probably 500 units..?

as a wild guess its got to be around GBP 10k..?

cheers
Mike
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
mike s
Communications Officer

thanks for the insight

I'm looking more at the physical cost at the moment, then if its not too severe I'll have a look at licensing

I'm a designer so believe me if I did an SPC it would have a box design which would knock your eye out

btw a guy has just asked a question about licensing in the main S99 area, very interesting!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlamer View Post
I'm not sure if all Anderson product licencing have been bought by Grenada but I think the biggest and most costly hurdle will be for you to get licencing.

You can make one or two without it, but when you're talking 500........someone will want a royalty.

There are members (JD, unclebill,SAW,D.I.T.s) who have a great deal of knowledge in production costs. Packaging, is a different story. A simple way is to get a great pic done up on good paper which makes the cover on a standard white box. No plastic, no fabrication cost for custom package.

good luck and keep us posted
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlamer View Post
I'm not sure if all Anderson product licencing have been bought by Grenada but I think the biggest and most costly hurdle will be for you to get licencing.

You can make one or two without it, but when you're talking 500
The licensing of products based on any ITC Gerry Anderson series is now handled by ITV Studios (formerly Granada). If you want to produce an authorised kit or model they're the people you would have to talk to.

Limited edition 'garage' kits as sold by Comet Miniatures, or the recent Swift by Alex Dumas, seem to have been allowed to slip through the net, probably due to the low numbers produced and the lack of interest on the copyrightholder's behalf of taking expensive legal action. This subject has raised problems on the forum in the past though, so tread carefully !

Last edited by Air Terrainean; 04-08-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
The licensing of products based on any ITC Gerry Anderson series is now handled by ITV Studios (formerly Granada). If you want to produce an authorised kit or model they're the people you would have to talk to.

This subject has raised problems on the forum in the past though, so tread carefully !
Here is a very sensible suggestion, approach Fanderson.

They are covered by a limited license and have agreement with ITV. If you can strike a deal (they are nice people) you will be able to produce and distribute within their membership. This may suit your needs if you are thinking of making something on a larger production run.

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote