Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #81
brucewoollatt
Hydroponics Technician

Ah, yes: I'd forgotten about the padding of the episodes to make them an hour each.

Something I've wondered that maybe other fellow TB2 fans might know the answer to; why were the rockets used for VTOL sequences stuck into the landing leg tubes instead of the openings in the bottom of the front and rear fuselage that seem obviously intended for just that purpose? I'm assuming it has to do with something about access and practicality, but does anyone know the actual reasoning behind this?
brucewoollatt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #82
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Me too, Thanks for clearing that one up Dave
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #83
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewoollatt View Post
A particularly patchy and beat up looking TB2 is the one that lands beside Fireflash in "Operation Crash Dive". The same one lifts off a few shots later and then it looks like it is replaced with another large model as it flies along the runway. The TB2 that later flies formation with Fireflash in long shots must be the smallest TB2 model I would think.
My estimate of how big the characters are in comparison is off too (see last pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-07-2010 23-21-14.jpg (37.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 28-07-2010 23-22-05.jpg (39.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 28-07-2010 23-24-32.jpg (10.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 28-07-2010 23-27-58.jpg (48.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 28-07-2010 23-29-46.jpg (54.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 28-07-2010 23-33-53.jpg (38.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 28-07-2010 23-43-36.jpg (20.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 29-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #84
brucewoollatt
Hydroponics Technician

I think you've probably got a lot of leeway in figuring how big a person "should" be in relation to models. Thunderbirds isn't exactly a model of continuity in the miniatures department! The scale of the different vehicles in relation to each other varies widely from episode to episode, sometimes from shot to shot! "Operation Crash Dive" is a perfect example of this. Compare the size of TB4 with Fireflash when the engines are being torched off and when the two vehicles are floating on the surface. Keeping that relationship in mind, scale up from TB4 to TB2 (these two and TB3/TB5 have a much more precise and consistent siize relationship with each other because of the ways they fit together). Now, look at the size of TB2 flying beneath Fireflash in the long shots showing both vehicles. Particularly compare the size of TB2 with the Fireflash crew cabin. Also keep in mind the size of the Elevator Cars from "Trapped in the Sky" and how big they are in comparison to Fireflash. It's enough to make your brain explode! I don't think they worried too much about size and scale, just making shots that worked practically and looked neat. For what it's worth, I would probably base any size estimates of a "life size" TB2 on its relationship to TB4.

I wonder if the TB2 used in that last photo showing Gordon going between was just a partial model like the nose-only model used on a number of occasions showing an absolutely HUGE 2 (among others, see shots of FAB1 alongside TB2's nose in "Perils of Penelope").
brucewoollatt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #85
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Actually, I tend to use Thunderbird 6 as a size comparison - we actually see the Tiger Moth coming out of the Pod. Since we know the size of a Tiger Moth, we can get a pretty fair idea of the size of TB2. From memory, TB2 is something like 240 feet long with a span of 180 feet
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #86
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
TB2 is something like 240 feet long with a span of 180 feet
I wouldn't take too much notice of these figures. They were quoted in TV21 comics/annuals, but whether they had any bearing regarding thr real models is anyone's guess (see Brucewoollatt's) reply.

Quote:
Something I've wondered that maybe other fellow TB2 fans might know the answer to; why were the rockets used for VTOL sequences stuck into the landing leg tubes instead of the openings in the bottom of the front and rear fuselage that seem obviously intended for just that purpose? I'm assuming it has to do with something about access and practicality, but does anyone know the actual reasoning behind this?
As I understand it, that's exactly the reason - they needed access to install the rocket motors - Jetex?)

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #87
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
I wouldn't take too much notice of these figures. They were quoted in TV21 comics/annuals, but whether they had any bearing regarding thr real models is anyone's guess (see Brucewoollatt's) reply.
Actually, they were figures that I calculated based on the size of the Tiger Moth. I had no access to any of the Annuals
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #88
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

heres some more of the original revamped model, and the replacement,noteable by whats been said above, such as the catch underneath to hold the pod..

desperate intruder

Edge of Impact

The Uninvited

City of fire

replacement..

Danger at Ocean deep

Martian Invasion

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #89
Thunderbird2
Hydroponics Technician

Mike,
The way as I see it, I really cannot make sure if the TB2 in Desperate Intruder, The Univited, Edge of Impact and The Uninvited are a revampled original TB2, but in City of Fire the TB2 seems to be the orignal one revamped. The major feature I can tell, in addition to its shape, is that there is a small but obvious dent on the nose of the orignal 3-foot TB2, and I can also see the dent from the TB2 in City of Fire.
Thunderbird2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #90
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird2 View Post
Mike,
The way as I see it, I really cannot make sure if the TB2 in Desperate Intruder, The Univited, Edge of Impact and The Uninvited are a revampled original TB2, but in City of Fire the TB2 seems to be the orignal one revamped. The major feature I can tell, in addition to its shape, is that there is a small but obvious dent on the nose of the orignal 3-foot TB2, and I can also see the dent from the TB2 in City of Fire.
The shooting schedule....freely available in many books and on the net....answers many of these quandries. Episode continuity/ air dates and shooting schedule are often different. I believe the original Wag Evans model that appeared in the credits was so badly damaged in "Terror in New York City" it needed a major re-vamp hence colour and font size changes became apparent.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #91
Dave
Communications Officer

The City of Fire one must be the original, the shape is spot on (as well as some of the decals, etc). The air intakes are also an obvious clue by their shape. The Desperate Intruder one looks a completely different shape to the original in my opinion.
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #92
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default A few more piccies....

From Lord Parker's 'oliday - enjoy

Cap'n
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TBHD Lord Parker's 'Oliday00470.jpg (41.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Lord Parker's 'Oliday00435.jpg (35.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Lord Parker's 'Oliday00375.jpg (32.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Lord Parker's 'Oliday00351.jpg (56.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Lord Parker's 'Oliday00345.jpg (50.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Lord Parker's 'Oliday00349.jpg (55.6 KB, 37 views)
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #93
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Delamar View Post
heres some more of the original revamped model, and the replacement,noteable by whats been said above, such as the catch underneath to hold the pod..
Mike
I said one 'could be' the original revamped, as the chances of the model being completely totalled is very low, and it's easier, quicker and cheaper to return the remains to the model company to have them strip it and rebuild it than start from scratch. My reasoning is because I see some parts that seem close to the original whilst the later model is entirely different.
However we can speculate on all sorts of ideas but without proof we cannot make any claims - the images above clearly indicate three very different looking big TB2 models, the original, a pointy nose and often crappy looking one and the later bit fatter, clean & smooth looking version.
The pictures directly above show the small model first, then I think the later model after a revamp for the first feature film - or it's a fourth one!

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson

Last edited by Mark42; 29-07-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #94
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

another thing to look out for is the large black panel underneath the nose, sometimes it looks like its just painted, wheras on the later model it does look like its a removable panel

Mike
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #95
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

a bit of decal spotting. I noticed the large close up model from the mighty atom has an airfix srn1 decal under the window, although not really much help as its not on any of the others

Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #96
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Can't get enough Green....

A few more to keep the fire stoked

Cap'n
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TBHD Perils of Penelope00325.jpg (71.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Perils of Penelope00314.jpg (62.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Perils of Penelope00529.jpg (98.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Perils of Penelope00524.jpg (93.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Ricochet00547.jpg (49.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD Ricochet00582.jpg (43.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD The Uninvited00173.jpg (64.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD The Uninvited00212.jpg (66.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD The Cham Cham00862.jpg (55.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD The Cham Cham00936.jpg (41.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD The Cham Cham00941.jpg (49.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg TBHD The Cham Cham00945.jpg (55.5 KB, 39 views)
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #97
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Thanks Cap,n,
What's clear (to me) from your HD grabs is on the third one (repair bay) it is apparent the rear 'baffles' were drilled out in a 4-3-2 hexagonal pattern, the center '2' hole hex being removed/cut out to accommodate the central pyro tube which appears to have sheared off a little from the crash scene.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #98
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
As I understand it, that's exactly the reason - they needed access to install the rocket motors - Jetex?)
The 'rocket motors' in Thunderbird Two, weren't Jetex, but Schermuly charges made by the company that produced Verrey pistols (flare guns).

Regarding production order - half hour episodes were produced between August and December 1964, and these were Trapped in The Sky, Pit of Peril, City of Fire, Sun Probe, The Uninvited, Vault of Death, The Mighty Atom, and parts of Move and You're Dead. Operation Crash Dive was due to go into production in January 1965, and the rather rough looking Thunderbird Two it features is possibly the one that Mike Trim and Roger Dicken had to hastily repair after it was brought into the workshop by Ian Scoones with fire damage. From January to September 1965 additional footage for early episodes and expanded half hour episodes were produced, with later 50 minute scripts such as Attack of the Alligators, the Man From M.I.5 and the Cham-Cham being filmed in late 1965/early 1966.

Hope this helps !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #99
healvis
Communications Officer

Great stills thx. I just noticed that the syfi channel is screening Thunderbirds on the HD channel at 7.00 am Sat morning and Stingray.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote