Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #41
alfalfa
Communications Officer

As long as we are all 'playing nice' here I'm broadly in agreement with Known Space, who, from his name I assume to be a fan of Larry Nivens series of books (me too).

Visiting aliens would have to have a curently impossible faster than light drive or enormous amounts of patience.

However this would make for very boring Sci Fi hence all the photon drives, wormholes, infinite improbabilty etc etc.

I've seen articles that describe that it is virtually impossible that alien life doesn't exist given the immensity of the universe, however the 'Goldilocks' theory implies that it may be very very very scarce. Therefore if life did exist the chances of if it surviving to get it to a level so beyond our own that it could achieve what we consider to be impossible/magic are many orders of magnitude more unlikely.

Likewise picking up signals from one these unbelievably small number of civilisations would depend on us detecting it in the known (to us) electromagnetic spectrum. Since this radiation has to obay the inverse square law the signals would be infinitesimally weak and also so old that the transmitting civilisation could well have died out in the meantime.

Speaking as someone with a degree of faith I don't see that there would be widespead panic among the religious. All the faiths are perfectly well adapted to encorperating new ideas into existing idiology. Most Christians now accept that the sun does not revolve around the earth, though it did come as a bit of a shock at the time.

So in summary although I'm certain intelligent life does exist in the universe the chances of bumping into it are akin to me winning the lottery every week for a month.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #42
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
We are already running out of oil etc. There is even a limited amount of radiocative ore for nuclear power.

Keith
I would like to dispute that. The United States and The Russian Federation have a deal in which old Russian warheads are "recycled" for fuel for our power plants.Decommissioned nuclear warheads provide much of the fuel powering America's 104 nuclear reactors. But here's the real kicker: nearly half of that low-enriched uranium comes from recycled Soviet nukes.What's more, both America and Russia are sitting on a wealth of nuclear fuel. Current nuke numbers are still staggering, considering the vast damage that just a handful of thermonuclear warheads can do: The U.S. maintains a stockpile of 2,200 nuclear warheads, the Russians 2,800.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #43
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

I know this is an old thread but its been an odd kind of day. Curiously the new telescope that NASA put up to spot Earth like planets in other systems has found hundreds of the things all over the place. So this means its statistically very much likelier that there is life on many other Earth like planets.If only they could send us a postcard.
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #44
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known Space View Post
I know this is an old thread but its been an odd kind of day. Curiously the new telescope that NASA put up to spot Earth like planets in other systems has found hundreds of the things all over the place. So this means its statistically very much likelier that there is life on many other Earth like planets.If only they could send us a postcard.
I saw that too. Exciting news. Just wished they had a few pics.

I guess they'll come soon enough.
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #45
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post

The programmes depict an imagined universe featuring alien life forms in huge spaceships on the hunt for resources after draining their own planet dry.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach," warned Hawking.
Sounds familiar has Prof Hawking been watching UFO?
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #46
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
... but no substances such as silanes or silicones which might be the precursors of a silicon biochemistry.
So if the alien hordes DO land, you'd better make sure you hide all your silicone moulds, in case they think you've chopped up Uncle Zylzurg and extract their revenge!!
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #47
mike s
Communications Officer

its difficult to get your head around how big the observable universe actually is

the likelihood of other 'goldilocks' earth-type planets capable of supporting life is high - the maths are out there on-line if anybody wants to boggle their minds!

for explorers to visit us they would probably have to travel in a way we haven't thought of yet - normal rules of propulsion/use of resource may not apply - I personally don't have a problem accepting this

it seems to me that any technology that keeps progressing without destructing would eventually be capable of almost anything - just look at what we have done in 100 years, its mind-boggling!
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #48
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight1966 View Post
Sounds familiar has Prof Hawking been watching UFO?
or Independence Day
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #49
healvis
Communications Officer

Alfafa " Most Christians now accept that the sun does not revolve around the earth, though it did come as a bit of a shock at the time". It was the catholic church that did not accept the sun being the center of the universe until quite recently.
Light travels at a constant speed in a vacuum and takes approx 8 minutes to arrive at the Earth from the sun, yet if you were travelling from the sun in a spaceship at close to the speed of light you would arrive much sooner than 8 minutes(if you were the person in the spaceship). To travel to the nearest galaxy which is almost 3 million light years would take the spaceship travelling at close to the speed of light approx 50 years. However if somebody on earth were watching the spaceship through a telescope your journey would take almost 3 million years. Then if you decided to return to Earth in the spaceship 100 years would have passed aboard the ship but almost 6 million years would have elapsed for the people watching you on Earth. I read this in a very good book called "why does E=Mc2?" by Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #50
Big Boris
Astrophysics Technician

what if, we are among the first civilizations ??

What charters do we put in place for developing cultures?
stuff all - I'd bet.
Look at how we treat each other-

The aliens we have to beware of, is us.
Big Boris is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #51
alfalfa
Communications Officer

healvis: Thanks for the physics lesson.

I saw quite a good film about this very subject, now what was it called again .

By that Anderson chappie.

Brian Blessed and the 'Carter' guy out of Space 1999 in it.

No sorry gone...
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #52
healvis
Communications Officer

Good film but I don't think Anderson physics quite covered it.
Old 29-07-2010, 04:29 AM   #53
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boris View Post
what if, we are among the first civilizations ??

What charters do we put in place for developing cultures?
stuff all - I'd bet.
Look at how we treat each other-

The aliens we have to beware of, is us.
I like the "Monolith" theory that there are extraterrestrials who have achieved
achieved intergalactic travel millions or perhaps billions of years before the present. They explore the galaxy looking for intelligent life and when they find intelligent life they leave observers. On occasion, they bring back "specimens" for their intergalactic zoo.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 29-07-2010 at 04:31 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #54
paulcarson
Communications Officer

Just watched the movie - "The fourth kind" about alien abductions. Very freaky stuff. It is supposed to have some real footage of abductees interviewed whilst under hypnosis , I'll tell you it is worth a watch.(I won't spoil it for anyone ) .

I believe that Alien technology has been here for a long time and has been kept under wraps way way before the Roswell incident ever happened.
paulcarson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #55
healvis
Communications Officer

As far as I am aware Paul the live video footage is played by actors.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #56
paulcarson
Communications Officer

Oh, that kind of spoils it for me then !

I don't tend to read much about movies released any more without watching them first. Reading too many "spoilers " takes the enjoyment out of it for me.

Last edited by paulcarson; 07-08-2010 at 06:29 PM.
paulcarson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #57
Guest01
Alphan

there was an alien dog landed outside my house the other night and demanded to see my leader lol sorry bad one
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #58
healvis
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcarson View Post
Oh, that kind of spoils it for me then !

I don't tend to read much about movies released any more without watching them first. Reading too many "spoilers " takes the enjoyment out of it for me.
I watched the film a few weeks back and it was not too bad. Saying that though if it wasn't for the "Video footage" it would not have been as watchable or believable. As for alien visitations in the past I will sit on the fence. I do believe however that places such as "Area 51" are nothing more than military test bases and the government are more than happy for people to believe that they are witnessing alien craft rather than triangular shaped stealth bombers. I would go so far as to say that they probably perpetuate it with a few light shows and funny shaped kites as well.