SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-09-2009, 03:23 AM   #41
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
SPACE:1999 Season#2 characters Tony & Maya joining the returning Kano, Paul & Victor would have been brilliant! The character interaction would have been extremely exciting.

You are correct, it was a shame that we lost Victor, Kano & Paul at the end of Season# 1 .

Even worse that we lost Victor, Kano & Paul at the end of Season# 1 with no on screen explanation stated
It would have been so simple to add a couple of sentences to the script- also explain why Alpha Control got remodelled too.

Last edited by Richard Baker; 22-09-2009 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typo
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #42
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Well, basically they wanted Main Mission for a Marshall Arts room so they shoved the command centre in the basement... get that silly lot out of the way and all that
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #43
CR
Science Officer

Ah, I've got to add my two cents about the "Space Warp" hangar control room... it's just a mash of re-used set parts, and vaguely resembles the (much more realistic looking, better designed) decontamination area observation room from "The Exiles." Really, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just voicing my opinion. Let me explain: Command Center desk, various computer wall panels, the life support access panel from "Earthbound" (!), and the Main Mission steps just outside the window. Even taking into account Alpha's modular design, this set just looks thrown together to me.
Having said all that, I think it had potential, like it was a good 'rough draft' for a design that would have appeared more integrated. Might have helped, too, if we could have seen into the hangar through the window, like we did in "Breakaway"s flight control room.

Now Tech Lab 5, on the other hand, looked like an actual, functional room. The only truly dumb bit was not having any way to see into the vacuum chamber without opening it!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #44
dukedexter
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
I view each season as two separate series. The differences are just too great, unless one assumes a long time span has occurred between both seasons to justify such radical changes. But things that had been established (not just characters, but behaviour, history, and so on) got ignored in Season 2. It's easier to just accept them as two different but similar series, rather than one being a continuation of the other.
Me too; I found I got the most out of both by treating them as two distinct unrelated entities (for want of a better word). I enjoy them both - mostly for different reasons - but IMO there's about as much point trying to reconcile the two as comparing the two versions of Scarlet. Two completely different animals.

Having said all that, Bringers of Wonder made in S1 could have been interesting.
dukedexter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #45
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default HANGAR CONTROL ROOM "Space Warp"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Ah, I've got to add my two cents about the "Space Warp" hangar control room...
Having said all that, I think it had potential, like it was a good 'rough draft' for a design that would have appeared more integrated. Might have helped, too, if we could have seen into the hangar through the window, like we did in "Breakaway"s flight control room.
I absolutely agree HANGAR CONTROL ROOM "Space Warp" to me showed the basis for what would have been a great permanent set with as you stated more time & money spent on it.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #46
david_b
Life Support Technician

Not sure what I can add to all this.. I'm pretty much in agreement with most of the sentiment here, but a few things that stand out for me regarding Year 2..:

1) Mainly watched it for Martin, John Hug and Nick Tate, although I agree Tony was a nice addition (STILL missed Prentis and Barry a lot). And missed Main Mission...
2) Effects..? TERRIBLE, especially with 'New Adam', 'Dorcon', 'Lambda' and the diamond-splitting in 'Beta Cloud'..?? The 'space waves' and such were SO phoned it, it was embarrassing. Crash scenes improved with the smoking Eagles (ok, the 'Space Warp' Hangar sequence was pretty awesome..), but the overall space effects was subpar.
3) Music..? Brought nice tone, especially the drumming, jazzy 'on-the-move' action music. That was pretty fun to listen to..
4) Camera Angles.. That was one of the most missed aspects from Year 1. The production team had such innovative and very stylish camera angles and perspectives on scenes. GREATLY MISSED in Year 2.
5) Uniforms..? Liked the Year 2 changes.
6) Maya..? Never warmed to/liked the whole 'shape-changing' idea. Catherine as an actress is wonderful, wished she had more subtle moments in a not-so-subtle season, but had nice moments (sharing the praise of walking to Helena in 'Immunity'...). More of that, less tigers/rubber aliens, would have add so much.

I totally agree on the whole New York/Abe Mandell influence convuluting the creativity for Year 2. WAY TOO much influence.

David B.

Last edited by david_b; 19-08-2010 at 04:30 AM.
david_b is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #47
Stu73
Communications Officer

I like the Beta monster.
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #48
david_b
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu73 View Post
I like the Beta monster.
It's probably my favorite episode of Year 2..!! The whole 'life support system stealing' idea was a bit hokey, but aside from that, it had the best performances, best chase scenes, best kick-@ss fight scenes of the entire series.

Love Fraiser and Sanda's bit of hooking up the fence the best...!

David B.
david_b is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #49
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I liked "Beta Cloud" because it was a good tour of Alpha Moonbase and the creature on the loose is always a fun story to watch.
Old 24-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #50
bren
Waste Technician

The series was cancelled because Lew Grade needed the money to make "Raise the titanic."

It was an utter disaster - he actually said later "It would have been cheaper to lower the atlantic".

I enjoy series 1 and 2 for different reasons - series 2 has better music but some dire storylines and dialogue, series 1 has more realism (a group of people finding themselves in uncharted waters, only in the depths of space) but series 1 looks much more dated than series 2.

I also enjoy it because it is British!
bren is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #51
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
The series was cancelled because Lew Grade needed the money to make "Raise the titanic."
I know, Martin Landau discussed. What a loss, we would have seen a Space:1999 Season 3 twenty-four more episodes.
Old 24-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #52
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
I know, Martin Landau discussed. What a loss, we would have seen a Space:1999 Season 3 twenty-four more episodes.
Episode one: During a (typically ill judged) eagle flight to a new dangerous planet Koenig,Helena, Fred Friedburger and some random purple arms are tragically killed.

A holiday is declared on by Alphas remaining actors and all over the world scriptwrighters re-sharpen their blunted pencils.

Hey I can dream
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote