Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Default Summer films 2010.

Well, so far this year the crops been pretty average. The "big blockbusters" have been anything but and I'm kind of struggling to find anything that is even half as good as last years "Moon" or "District 9".Even Ironman II, whilst being fairly entertaining, felt exactly just that.Solid, but not the knock out fun the first one was.Just lots more "Ironmen".
However,dare I say "Predators" MIGHT just be the ticket- the trailer at least has a brilliant openning shot that fades into the jungle (go to Youtube to see it) and it feels like a worthy sequel to the original.
Also the new Tron trailer is stunning (once you get past the first boring 30 second ) and the music kicks in, the visuals certainly grab you. And both the young and old Jeff Bridges make it feel like it continuses from the first film.
However, its "Inception" that could really be the surprise. The latest trailer to that is absolutely cracking and it seems like a kind of cross between "The Matrix" and "Dark City"( I watched the directors cut of "Dark City" the other day and it really has held its own).
The only thing with the story is that it does remind me a bit of a real clunker of a film called "Dreamscape " and another called "Brainstorm",though that was quite good. I haven't seen either for a very long time but it will be interesting to see how "Inception" compares. Chris Nolan has alot to live upto after "The Dark Knight" but I'm hoping he'll do something special.
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

For anyone who really liked Predator and wanted a BETTER sequel then go to IGN and cop a look at the New International trailer. All I can say is that it looks as marvelously bloody and gutsy as you could have hoped for. It reminds me alot of "Apocolypto" and " Southern Comfort". Most excellent.
And for those with families the reviews for "Toystory 3" have been superb. I shall be seeing both.
Old 22-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Inception- what a great film! Its also the first I have seen twice so far this year. The last was Avatar and if I am totally honest,of the two ,I preffered Inception by a mile.
Why is it so good? Because everything about it is almost perfectly in balance. And thats very rare in cinema these days.
Its a film that requires its audience to think about it while watching it whilst being wowwed by action and effects sequences that seem almost entirely real, which is kind of bizarre in a film about dreams.
The entire story is very well thought out and ties everything together at the end into one of the most satisfying set pieces I've ever seen. It never breaks its own rules of internal story logic and its also got a human heart to it that keeps beat with about the best film scores I've heard for years.
Faults? Very little.If you've read the previous posts it does owe alot to some classic (and not so classic!) sci fi films that have gone by in previously years. However, having said that, Inception puts them altogether in a new and originally scripted way that leaves them levels behind,quite literally.
Overall its the best film I've seen for years.Brilliant. I hope it does very well at the box office and so perhaps some better quality sci fi ish films will get funded instead of a lot of the poorer CGI saturated garbage of late. Go see. Though be warned, kids are off now and the cinema was packed, mostly for Toystory 3 and Twilight.
Old 22-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known Space View Post
Inception- what a great film! ................
I'm sure you've done the film justice but media reports it's bombing, perhaps they just don't 'get it'.
I would go see it based on your write up.
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Actually its not doing too bad for an original concept film to judge by the latest figures for a first week release. Uk total just under 6 million which is line with the US at $62 million and a worldwide total of nearly $100 million. Thats a pretty strong openning for a none fanchised film. To put it into context Titanic openned with 4.8 million in its first week so Inception is Leos best openning yet. I doubt that it will be anywhere near as successfull as that film of course but it should have strong legs,as the word of mouth from punters leaving the cinema is very good acccording twitter feeds and they are generally a possitive indication of lasting box office legs. At least I hope so. The weeks ahead look pretty barren of good films otherwise.
At least it should make more money than" Knight and Day". Unbelievably both Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are both on Top Gear as the stars in the reasonably priced cars this weekend ,trying to drum up interest in the films less than stellar reviews. I for one am looking forward to seeing Tom Cruise being bemidgetted next to Clarksons giant and unhealthy frame on the TG stage and to listen to Jezzers wildly inappropriate comments to the lovely Cameron. Both have a great deal of car experience so lets see just how well they do.

Old 23-07-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
Lee S
Eagle Pilot

It's doing great in the US and word of mouth is very high!
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2862&p=.htm
Lee S is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default Tron

Anybody know when Tron II is out on DVD ??, really can't wait..as I missed it at the Cinema.

--------------
eagle44 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle44 View Post
Anybody know when Tron II is out on DVD ??, really can't wait..as I missed it at the Cinema.
--------------
You haven't missed it. Tron II aka Tron:Legacy is debuting in cinemas beginning in December 2010.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104001/releaseinfo
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

..oh..okay then, bit premature on that one

Cheers Steve, can't wait to see it at the Flix .

Regards..Ian "eagle44".

--------------
eagle44 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

The good news is this is going to be IMAX 3D and having seen the latest footage from comic con ( there is now a third trailer for it ,go check you- tubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMUwSOUrpbYwatch it to the end !) its going to look spectacularly good.Just how they have managed to get Jeff Bridges looking so young again is incredible. It really does look like they might have rejuvenated a whole series along with him.
Note the Black Hole picture frame behind the figures. Apparently they are going to remake it as well!!!!!

PS Inception has done nearly $230 million worldwide as of this Monday morning. Word of mouth has been incredibly strong as have repeat viewings so it managed to stay top in the US,beating AJs SALT by quite a margin. Impressive, very impressive!

Last edited by Known Space; 26-07-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
aggiev
Geological Technician

Just saw the a-team movie....had a lot of fun.
aggiev is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Just a footnote to really beg people to go and see Inception if they haven't already. Its just gone comfortably over the $500 million mark and is doing brilliantly worldwide. I've yet to hear from anyone who really hated it and the better it does the more likely it may make studios take a substantial risk on making decent films, not disappointing remakes of old TV series or substandard sequels.
I'd also really push anyone to go see Toystory 3. In a forum that dedicates itself to the recreation of models and toys from our youth this last one really hits some home truths and I'll admit to an uncomfortable lump in my throat again! . As good as and if not better than "UP" from last year.
Old 16-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

I've seen both Toy Story (in 3D) and Inception (2D) and can say that while both are good, I felt Inception was by far the better film. Toy Story seems to have run out of ideas and even the jokes for the adults were few and far between.

Inception however just kept going right to the very end. The ambiguous ending possibly leaving the door open to a sequel. However, I hope that if they do a sequel it has something original to say and not just disappear up its own fundament like the Matrix films. To be honest, I'd be happier if they just left this one alone and, as you say, developed films to make you think as well as appeal to the Bourne/Bond fans.

Can't wait for Inception on DVD or blu-ray. To be honest I'm having difficulty justifying blu-ray, the 'quality improvement' seems marginal at best.

Hope to see SALT soon and Tron 2 later this year. Got Clash of the Titans on DVD the other day and wondered if they'd bothered with a director at all. It must rank as having one of the the worst narratives and poorly directed action sequences ever. The only thing that made me smile was the 5 second appearance of that clockwork owl (Bubo?).

By the way, I remember seeing both Dreamscape and Brainstorm at the cinema in London when they first came out. Brainstorm just knocked your socks off (at the time) with its dream imagery. Probably a bit tame now.

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Well its a wrap for the summer now and I have to say with the exception of Inception (ha -ha) it was not as good as last year where District Nine and Moon really made the sci fi themers stand out from the crowd. However on the plus side all may not be lost as Inceptions' stunning box office $700 million plus now has apparently hastened alot of interest in studios funding original work. "Oblivion" (not the game I hasten to add) but a graphic novel looks like it may be good to go and that is great news indeed (think about an updated unintentionally nastier version of 2001 and you get the idea. Cube instead of Rectangle though!).
However, for the autumn and winter months we have the afore mentioned Tron and my tip for a sleeper hit, "Monsters" which although it has a kind of Cloverfield and District Nine feel could be a lot sharper than either ( check you tube for the trailers).
I also watched "The Expendables" a couple of weeks ago and it was a kind of bitter/sweet experience watching the eighties die in huge explosive body counts on the noughties screens again.It made me feel very old to see all my aging heroes on the screen again, though not apparently for the last time if Sly is to be believed.
Old 13-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Not seen many this year but Inception is the film of the year so far - Toy Story 3 was good but not great Shrek not very memorable but enjoyed Predators.
Did not catch Iron Man but hear it did not hit the spot as per the first one.
Don't even remember a decent "space" movie like MOON
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Why do film location scouts and researchers get paid oodles of money to come up with the likes of this........

R Crowe ala Robin Hood "Where are the French landing?"
Actor ala French Soldier "Dungerness"

Someone didn't do their homework,,,,,,,,,

1st image the 'Real' Dungerness
All the rest Robin Hoods 'Dungerness'

I appreciate for dramatical effect the producers wanted cliffs overlooking a beach from which the gallant English archers could rain down a shower of deadly arrows on the pesky invading French hordes but come on, if you're going to give an actual place name at least either pick one that resembles your shooting location or find a shooting location that resembles the place it's supposed to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dungeness Drift line-little damage1.jpg (48.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg RobinHood_08.jpg (82.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg RH2.jpg (67.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Robin-Hood1.JPG (22.1 KB, 2 views)
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #17
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I recently watched "The Book Of Eli" on DVD and was quite pleasantly surprised . It's a lot more "SF" than the publicity would have you believe, has a good story , an EXCELLENT performance by Denzel Washington , good supporting characters, including Gary Oldman as the "bad guy" and a great post-apocylyptic " washed -out" look . Highly recommended .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
Bionicman
Hydroponics Technician

Recently watched CARGO on DVD, low budget like MOON and very good, even if it goes alittle predictable in the last third. Great set design and none of the shaking camera crap!
Bionicman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote