SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Default Vivid Imaginations/Soundtech Supersize Thunderbirds

Hello ...

I thought I'd join as i'm a big fan of Gerry Andersons stuff, and i needed some info which i'm hoping someone can provide ...

Over the last few months I've acquired some of the Thunderbirds Supersize playset toys from Vivid Imaginations (or Soundtech) from various sources (ebay, boot fairs) but i'm having a bit of trouble working out some of the stuff i've collected ... so:

1) The Supersize ships have these little "Polly Pocket" jointed figures about an inch high, and i know that TB1, TB2 with TB4, and TB3 have their respective pilots in their IR uniforms. But i've acquired a figure of Tin-Tin in blue wearing headphones - she looks like she did in the Sun Probe episode aboard TB3, but from what i can tell, the TB3 ship only comes with the Alan figure ... so what does Tin-Tin belong to ?

2) The Supersize TB2 comes with a 'Supersize' TB4. But i believe there was a reissue of the set which additionally included a 'Supersize' Mole & Firefly, which like the TB4, had a flip up section to house one of the figures. I've got a figure in a white asbestos suit which i assume is Virgil, and i assume goes in the Firefly, but i dont know who belongs in the Mole, unless its just the standard pilot figure of Virgil from TB2 and doesnt have a specific figure ... incidentally, the larger Mole and Firefly (See 3) only just fit in the TB2 pod !

3) In regards to the Mole and Firefly, i have two of each of the 'Supersize' versions - but they are different sizes ! They are indentically constructed apart from size (for instance, small mole is 80mm long, the larger 125mm) - but both have lift up compartments for the figures, just the larger vehicles have slightly bigger spaces. The only other difference is the copyright on the underside - the smaller ones say Carlton, the larger ones ITC. I cant figure out why there are two sizes ... and what they are part of.

4) I have another figure which is Gordon in his diver gear with flippers and detachable mask - but the TB4 that comes with the TB2 comes with the standard Gordon figure in his IR uniform. Again, where does this diver version of Gordon come from ... ?

Any help appreciated - i've searched the web but cant seem to find anything.

Last edited by Dorzac; 21-03-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The fun with this is that there were at least two issues of the pod vehicles (each being different) The extra figures came with the pod vehicles you bought separately. I vaguely think diving gordon came with the hood's sub, and Tin Tin whom I also have came with either the mole or the firefly. The larger mole is the one to get. I never managed to get TB3 which I'm sad about but can live with if you know what I mean.

Welcome to the Forum BTW
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Many thanks for a quick response !

I actually picked up a Thunderbird 3 from a boot fair for 3 last year (along with TB1) - but it was missing the Alan figure and his chair - only last week, someone put a few bits on ebay which included the figure and chair and i snapped them up - now my TB3 is complete !

I did have the Hood's sub, but it only had the Hood figure with it ... could be right tho !

Its really strange tha Tin Tin would come with the Mole or Firefly (which she never appeard in in the series) and yet is dressed exactly like i said from the Sun Probe episode ! Damn toy manufacturers and their inaccuracies ! The TB3 has a moving sofa in the body, so she can sit in there for now !

Thanks for the welcome !
Old 21-03-2008, 01:00 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Agreed. You did very well with TB3.
Old 21-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
paul gray
Forum Supporter

Dorzac. you have found a brilliant forum here. can you please explain how you did your brilliant little video show on your posts? its very clever.
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Well, thank you !

Its not very difficult - its an animated GIF file - i started with an mpeg (or AVI) clip (In this case the opening sequence to Trapped In The Sky, which i imported from my Thunderbirds DVD - my DVD/Video player is hooked to my PC via a capture card, so i can capture anything from any of my video sources) and opening it into Animation Shop 3 - a GIF editing program (there are others, this came with a free Paint Shop Pro 5 i had from a magazine disc a long time ago). I resized the frames to make them smaller, and as the finished GIF file had to be under 1MB (Photobuckets maximum upload size) I removed some of the sequences in the clip. Hey presto. As long as you have a clip like an AVI or mpeg, and a GIF editor, you can make one of anything, the only limits are frame size and number of frames (clip length) - you can only really do small frame sizes and lengths for uploading otherwise you get streaming and bandwith problem.

Here's a couple of others i made:

The Tomorrow People

Salems Lot
Old 22-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
paul gray
Forum Supporter

that sounds really easy if you are computer literate. maybe one day. i like the tomorrow people one, always thought the intro was really good. thanks for the explanation though.
cheers Paul

paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Well, i've had fun over the last summer on car-boots & ebay trying to get bits, and this is what i ended up with:

Tony42: I actually managed to acquire two more Thunderbird 3's at car-boot sales - again, both chair & figure-less, but one was in such good condition i swapped it our for my one. I then managed to obtain a chair and figure so i had two complete ones, so i sold one on ebay this Christmas - it sold to someone in Australia ... !

I have managed to acquire 3 out of 4 (i think its only 4) Carlton carded sets:

"City Of Fire", which includes a 3" Firefly, a Virgil mini figure in his IR costume, a Brains mini figure in heat suit and a Scott Tracy badge

"Pit Of Peril", which includes a 3" Mole, a Virgil mini figure in a heat suit, Tin-Tin mini figure (!) and a Virgil Tracy badge.

"Attack Of The Alligators", which includes two blue Hover Bikes, mini figures of Scott & Alan, an Alligator with a spring loaded whipping tail, and an Alan Tracy badge.

The only one i have not got is "Desperate Intruder" featuring The Hood, his Sub and the wet suited Gordon. Keeping me eye out for that one !

I've seen those blue hover bikes being sold with Supersize Thuinderbird 1's on ebay - unfortunately, even tho they are the same size as the proper red ones, they blue ones have solid bases and can't "plug in" into their stowage position, as the red ones do !

The carded sets all have a little "Mission" card window on the back detailing a synopsis of what the set is. On the Firefly & Mole ones, its quite funny how they explain away the fact that Tin-Tin & Brains dont belong to the episode the set is based on - Tin Tin is referred to as making a "guest appearence from another episode" and no other reference (!), Brains is described as "seen here in a heat suit from a diff episode" ! LOL !

Still not sure where the 5" Mole & Firefly versions come from. Have'nt seen those on ebay yet in their original packaging.

For anyone who is interested, here is a pic:
Old 22-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
MikeMercury
Astrophysics Technician

"Still not sure where the 5" Mole & Firefly versions come from. Have'nt seen those on ebay yet in their original packaging."

They came with the last issue of the 'supersize' TB2 - maybe a 40th aniversary one? I remember seeing loads of them in Woolworths a few years ago.
MikeMercury is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Looking at the listings the last few days I've noted that people are also making radio trucks and the like for the supersized TB2. There have been a few subs listed too, but not carded. I've been looking at the TB3s on and off, and the postage is the killer from anywhere but here at present.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Ok, now i need some more help !

A few days ago, a listing for some of the the mini-figures on their own as described previously finished on eBay. This is the pic from the listing:

Now what i cannot fathom is where the figure second from left comes from. It certainly seems to me like its supposed to be John Tracy from the sash, but i've never seen that figure with any of the supersize sets i've seen, as far as i'm aware - my knowledge is thus: TB1 comes with Scott, TB2 comes with Virgil & Gordon, TB3 comes with Alan. The "Pit Of Peril" set comes with Tin-Tin & Virgil (in suit), "City of Fire" comes with Virgil & Brains (In suit), "Attack of the Alligators" comes with Scott & Alan, and the "Desperate Intruder" one comes with Gordon & The Hood. So, unless this guy is a paint job, i'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to what he belongs too. I've certainly never heard of a Supersize TB5 flaoating about !
Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

A mystery indeed. Never seen one of these... is it painted by any chance or definitely the real deal? Never was a TB5... would have been rather spectacular I think.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Yeah, i would have bid on it if the auction had gone low, but it went for around 17.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ouch, bit much for those, though Gordon and John are very nice numbers. Definitely worth hunting around for the info.
Old 23-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
gojinx
Alphan

Default Thunderbird 1 supersize parts

Greetings from Latvia! Can anyone direct me to where I may find a landing leg for a Supersize TB1 toy? Thanks in advance!!!
gojinx is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-09-2010, 02:57 AM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Welcome to the forum gojinx. About the only place you'll get such a thing is on ebay. You need to search the Thunderbird stuff, and just keep searching until one is listed. There isn't a store as such, though some of the ebay seller stores may have what you're after so its worth also looking at the other items sellers are listing that don't appear in the Thunderbirds search.