SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #41
PinyTree
Alphan

Default Great re-imagining

I like it.

I've always thought the classic Eagle needed an easy way to exit the cockpit, if there weren't a passenger pod. I also thought there needed to be a fifth RCS nozzle on each pod.

I've always loved the classic Eagle. As others have pointed out, it still looks like real space hardware.

If Space: 1999 were re-imagined, maybe there could be a diverse fleet, including something just like the classic Eagle, and something like this concept for bigger jobs. Consider that the USMC's helicopter fleet includes the UH-1Y Venom, the big CH-53E Super Stallion, and the AH-1Z Zulu Cobra. The classic Eagle is like the UH-1, this idea is like the CH-53, and the Mark IX Hawk is like the AH-1.

Or, if you prefer helicopters in service with the U.K., think of the Westland Lynx, Boeing Chinook, and Westland Apache.

But of course, the helicopter that most resembles the Eagle is the CH-54 Skycrane, with its ability to carry mission-specific modules. I've always liked the Skycrane for that reason.
PinyTree is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #42
Darian Cannibal
Alphan

I'm all for a new Space:1999 and the Space:2099 type redo but reimagining the Eagle itself is just an act of pure ego. Despite being fictional it's as iconic- and indeed British- as the Spitfire.

It needs to be recreated, not revamped in some silly way. It's a classic of design the same as some of the iconic items of furniture- which also haven't dated in the slightest.
Darian Cannibal is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #43
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darian Cannibal View Post
I'm all for a new Space:1999 and the Space:2099 type redo but reimagining the Eagle itself is just an act of pure ego. Despite being fictional it's as iconic- and indeed British- as the Spitfire.

It needs to be recreated, not revamped in some silly way. It's a classic of design the same as some of the iconic items of furniture- which also haven't dated in the slightest.
Yes I agree wholeheartedly. You are absolutely right. Just like the Enterprise from the American TV show (I forget the name). Original designs should never be touched or updated, especially from classic 60's and 70's genre. B%cks.

I would think that whilst Trek is still a vibrant community, if S1999 is going to be ossified and revered as relic then it will wither and in 15 years be completely forgotten.

Just look at how the re boot of Galactica took it from cheesy 70's Star Wars lookalike to respected modern work of genuine quality.

Whilst it is good to love and respect GA work, it has to find a new audience. UFO is getting a reboot and so should s1999. But we have to accept that it won't feature sasco wall planner stickers, caddymatics and comlocks.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #44
Big Boris
Astrophysics Technician

I agree Alfalfa........

granted: Eagle is a classic design, but I also think jeffery's design is excellent- it could be a "Command Eagle"

If we did'nt experiment with design, we'd still all be riding horses.

(and the Spitfire had 25 different marks, and is actually a real machine-tally ho gents.)

Last edited by Big Boris; 08-09-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: scotch
Big Boris is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #45
FozzyTheBear
Chef

Quote:
I'm all for a new Space:1999 and the Space:2099 type redo but reimagining the Eagle itself is just an act of pure ego. Despite being fictional it's as iconic- and indeed British- as the Spitfire
Or indeed as Iconic and British as a Dalek..... But that didn't stop idiots messing with that design either. Always some producer or designer or other wanting to stamp their identity on somebody else's genius.

Designing something entirely new and as immediately iconic as an Eagle is where genius lies. Not in the effective graffiti vandalism that these "so called" re-designs actually are.

Whoever did this simply has failed entirely to understand the concept that the original Eagle works because its design is based on "real world" "real design" principles and not on some deluded non functional "form before function" arty farty, computer game reality, type rubbish.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!! That's my 2 cents on the subject of talentless messing, with ANY Iconic designs. Far as I'm concerned it's like scrawling a moustache on the mona-Lisa with marker pen and calling it re-designed art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffy View Post
As a piece of design work, it's fine..As an Eagle, I can sum it up in two words.
Thunderbirds movie.
Amen to that Brother.

Best Regards.

Last edited by FozzyTheBear; 29-09-2010 at 11:48 PM.
FozzyTheBear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #46
jefferywright
Alphan

Thanks for the responses everyone! I appreciate it.

I'll get back to this soon, I want to finish my thoughts behind my design. But just to quickly respond to some observations here, I thought I'd weigh in real quick.
jefferywright is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 02:29 AM   #47
jefferywright
Alphan

Default Thanks man!

To respond to a few points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post

I don't like the double-decked passenger module, it seems far too big.

The large command module windows also seem a bit too dangerous to really be practical in the vacuum of space. They're nice if you want a great view of things, but in an hostile, airless environment where they may get shattered/cracked by asteroids, various space debris or in battle...Not so good.

Dana
The Eagle transporter was often use for Earth to Moon transportation, for this particular module, it would make sense that for a trip taking 2 days it would accommodate a pretty good number of passengers, with sleepers, lavatory and control station, as it can link up with other modules and move itself via RCS thrusters.

The module seen here is just one of many configs I have in mind.

The CM viewports arent made of glass, but an aluminum oxide ceramic alloy as strong as the titanium alloy of the superstructure (harder and more expensive to produce). The tiny windows in the original just wouldnt let a pilot see enough to execute manuevers.
Old 30-09-2010, 02:34 AM   #48
jefferywright
Alphan

Default Thanks!

More commentary:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResinBabes View Post

It's too flashy for an Eagle. The Eagle is basically a "Space Hummer or Truck". To me, the Eagle's charm is that it is a utilitarian and functional design. It has only what it needs to do it's required job. The lines are basic, efficient and look like a true engineering effort. It's not too hot, or too cold... It's just right.

The re-imagined design just seems to be "overstyled" for that type of vehicle. The design would work better as a "private owned sport vehicle" or something where flash and styling would make more sense.

I'm thinking a Jeep compared to a Corvette.

It is pretty though.

Gregory
I had intended this retake to be chunky and tough, these ships can take a beating... but not sleek or sexy like a sportscar... everything that appears stylized is just basic and functional with actually utility. Hopefully as this progresses I can make that more obvious... hopefully!
Old 30-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #49
jefferywright
Alphan

Default Love that copter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinyTree View Post
But of course, the helicopter that most resembles the Eagle is the CH-54 Skycrane, with its ability to carry mission-specific modules. I've always liked the Skycrane for that reason.
I always thought so too, classic industrial design!
Old 30-09-2010, 02:43 AM   #50
jefferywright
Alphan

Default It is iconic

Quote:

But I think it has room for improvement, like pilot line of sight, which is unrealistically limited in the original, and no way to board without a module in place, or the right module, the module was supposed to have an extendable dock which was never accounted for in the original design, let alone the stairs that would magically appear for a crew to descend, which is addressed in my retake.

I dinno about the furniture, they are definatley 70's contempo, I'm modeling repro's of those for my online store, check one out:
3D Model of Sorella Lamp so groovy!

Old 30-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #51
jefferywright
Alphan

I'm in the middle of a major website redesign, I'll get back to this soon.

Also, this design isnt for a "re-do" of the original series, it's a concept for a pilot script I'm developing for a sequel series that takes place two or so generations after the original.

Written to be more of an adventure drama set in space, like the new BSG, with heavy reliance on real world physics and scientific investigation techniques... no thousands of light years traveled every week. I'm taking alot of inspiration from Dr. Forwards dragonfly series. An entire season will take place in a single star system, as the Moon would take a year or two in an elliptical orbit around a star while genisis teams are deployed to various planets in the system and retrieved on the way back out.

But really, thanks for the indulgence, compliments and skepticism, everyone!