Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #61
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

JMChladek , thank you for that detailed anaylsis post of the history of ships with the names given to NASA SSO fleet Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Atlantis, Discovery and Endeavour. Even the current Orion capsule.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 15-06-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #62
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
it is highly likely that Enterprise will be a name given to some future NASA craft, be it an Orion capsule (if Congress reverses that course for NASA that the president wants it to take) or a commercial vehicle. Reason being, is there are more then a few Trek fans in the ranks of NASA's own and contractor workforce. Heck, Trek illustrator Mike Okuda is the designer of a few NASA patches, including the patch logos for the Constellation project.
Personally I would hope that they resist the temptation. I never understood why they caved in the first time !However I think it unlikely that the powers that be would give in to that. Similar to NASA not agreeing to name the latest Tranquiliity module Colbert.

Keith

Last edited by saturnapollo; 15-06-2010 at 07:45 PM.
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #63
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

What would you have named a NASA Space Shuttle Orbiter if you had a vote?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 15-06-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 15-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #64
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

I've never really thought about it. Must be lots of ships of exploration out there. Off the top of my head, Shackleton's Endurance might be a good one.

Keith
Old 15-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #65
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
I've never really thought about it. Must be lots of ships of exploration out there. Off the top of my head, Shackleton's Endurance might be a good one.

Keith
Shackleton's Endurance excellent choice Keith... SSO Endurance .

How about Jacques Cousteau's Calypso ... SSO Calypso ?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 15-06-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Old 15-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #66
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Well, maybe Tranquility node didn't get named Colbert, but the treadmill did as it is the Continuous Operation Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill, aka C.O.L.B.E.R.T. So they kind of did cave. All things considered though, it sounds like Colbert sort of hatched his plot with a back door NASA blessing anyway as it did give them some good coverage that year. Stephen Colbert does count some friends among the NASA astronaut corps. I also doubt the naming website would have gotten the number of hits it did without Stephen's prompting. At least they didn't name it Xenu, after a name associated with Scientology (thank goodness for that is it got some votes!).

As for other ship names, Kitty Hawk was a contender for the second shuttle name. In fact I still have two early production Revell shuttle kits with that name on the sheet (an Enterprise and a Columbia kit). Calypso and Endurance were contenders when it came time to name what became Endeavour.

After the Enterprise was so named, NASA tried to formalize its naming convention in 1978. They came up with a list of about 15 names (Kitty Hawk was one of them, Eagle was also on the list, so we almost had a real Eagle transporter) and recommended that if a fifth orbiter was built, it should be named Enterprise since by that point, the plans to turn STA-99 into OV-99 were in work, relegating Enterprise to just a pathfinder vehicle used in the ALT tests. A second meeting was held to refine the list since there were some concerns about some names on the first list. They had three lists with different criteria, the first was Explorer Vessel names, the second was Amercian Tradition and Spirit and the third was Stars and Constellations. The third category didn't work too well since Enterprise was already named, but it still fit with the first two. Another proposed name, Polaris, was also one already given to the US Navy's SLBM program and there were some concerns raised about it. BTW, Orion was on the third list since it is a constellation.

In the end, NASA named the other shuttles after explorers. They considered naming the fifth orbiter Enterprise, but made the decision not to when Enterprise was donated to the Smithsonian. Endeavour's name was selected as part of a list of submissions from kindergarten through 12th grade students to sort of tie into the teaching thing since Challenger was lost Christa onboard. I was in high school at the time. I never submitted a name due to other commitments (a full essay had to be written on the research into the name to make the submission formal and there were some other requirements) but I was tempted to submit the name "Beagle" since Snoopy was also black and white in color. Plus, I believe that was the name of Darwin's ship which he sailed to the Galapagos Islands. Of course, the whole evolution vs. creation arguement might have reared its ugly head if Beagle appeared on this list.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #67
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMChladek View Post
....After the Enterprise was so named, NASA tried to formalize its naming convention in 1978. They came up with a list of about 15 names (Kitty Hawk was one of them, Eagle was also on the list, so we almost had a real Eagle transporter)....
JMChladek, more brilliant analysis. I appreciate this information. It is good to know there nearly was a NASA SSO Eagle!
Old 15-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #68
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Of course Beagle was the name of the British Mars lander. As has been pointed out in the media, whilst the US comes up with cool names we come up with something named after a dog.

Keith

A couple of other names could be Intrepid or Meteor which is a research vessel. I actually have a Revell kit of it. I was going to put together a photo of a UFO attacking a ship, but never got round to that project either.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #69
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
A couple of other names could be Intrepid or Meteor which is a research vessel. I actually have a Revell kit of it. I was going to put together a photo of a UFO attacking a ship, but never got round to that project either.
Good names. Good project idea too.
Old 16-06-2010, 03:43 AM   #70
morrris99
Hydroponics Technician

From the Dennis Jenkins book "Space Shuttle The History of the National Space Transportation System":
(the first 15 names) Constitution, Independence, America, Constellation, Enterprise, Discoverer, Endeavour, Liberty, Freedom, Eagle, Kitty Hawk, Pathfinder, Adventurer, Prospector, and Peace.
In the 3 categories lists.
Explorer's vessels: Enterprise, Endeavor (not a typo), Discovery, Resolution, Adventure.
American Tradition and Spirit: Enterprise, Independence, Constitution, Freedom, Liberty, Republic, Columbia.
Stars and Constellations: Enterprise (considered but later omitted from the category), Orion, Arcturus, Polaris, Pegasus, Canopus, Capella, Alpha Centauri.
For the naming of OV 105, the list was lengthy, but here goes:
Adventure, Blake, Calypso, Chatham, Deepstar, Desire, Dove, Endeavour, Endeavor, Endurance, Godspeed, Griffin, Gulf Stream, Hokule a (polynesian heritage name), Horizon, Investigator, Meteor, Nautilus, North Star, Pathfinder, Phoenix, Polar Star, Resolution, Rising Star, Royal Tern, Trieste, Victoria, and Victory.
Personally, I always like the name Space Shuttle Republic. But Space Shuttle Adventure sounds like a ride at Disneyland.
Space Shuttle Rising Star sounds too much like a TV show.
On that note, Galactica, Pegasus, Atlantia, Rycon, Pacifica, Columbia, Triton, Acropolis, Solaria....
morrris99 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #71
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

morrris99, thank you for that information.
Old 17-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #72
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

I don't know if I would name ANY spacecraft capable of reentry "Meteor". Reason being is if the reentry went wrong like Columbia's last did, it would end up living up to its name. As for the other names, Rising Star was an entry for the Endeavour naming. I can understand how it might be proposed and it does sound cool. But, somebody in the press likely would have picked up on the TOS Galactica connection and had a BIG time field day with it.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #73
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Good point! Though I see from Morris99's list it was under consideration.

Keith
Old 17-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #74
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

JMChladek, good point on SSO Meteor is a negative...with SSO Columbia's fate.

I immediately thought of Battlestar Galactica for SSO Rising Star....especially the episode "Murder On The Rising Star".
Old 29-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #75
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

With reference to the beginning of this thread, I'm probably going to put in my last order for decal paper if it is worthwhile putting together a decent sized order to keep the postage from the US down.

I can do the following 1/144 (Revell), 1/200 (Hasegawa) or 1/72 (Revell or
Monogram) shuttle underside black tile decals made from photos of the
real orbiters.

Prices for 1/144 and 1/200 are 14.20 per sheet and 1/72 - 45.50.

1/72 Revell kit with applied decals
http://www.keithmcneill.pwp.blueyond...%20Firing4.jpg
http://www.keithmcneill.pwp.blueyond...e%20slope2.jpg

1/144 Revell kit with applied decals
http://www.keithmcneill.pwp.blueyond...0%2811a%29.jpg

If anyone is interested, I will send out more detailed info regarding
the decals. Please do not send payment at this point. I would however be
asking for payment before I place the order for the paper. This is due
to some 50% of the people who requested 1/72 decals not following
through with their order.

Keith