Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
mike s
Communications Officer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 792
Default 1999 replica kit question everyone

Hi all

Here's what I'm interested in knowing: is there any interest in custom versions of 1999 designs ie if someone made a kit of an updated version of the Eagle (like the Dalek was updated when Dr Who came back) and it looked really cool would there be any takers, or is there only interest in exact replicas of screen-used designs..?

cheers
Mike
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
scatta
Astrophysics Technician
 
scatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Technical Section, Moonbase Alpha
Posts: 304
Default

For me it is authenticity that counts. The model is the connection to the memory of the program (whether looking at the model or playing with it!). Anything that's updated/changed, would be a distraction (ie green Dinky Eagles) - but that's just my opinion.
scatta is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
mike s
Communications Officer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 792
Default

thanks Scatta that's interesting

what I think I need to do is sketch a couple of ideas and put them on here and see if people like them

Mike
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
JonesTheFilm
Travel Tube Technician
 
JonesTheFilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 72
Default

Personally my science fiction interest has always included alternate histories and altered timelines so I'm always interested in seeing 're-imagined' versions of existing ideas. In fact I do it quite a bit myself just for my own enjoyment (but in 3D software because I'm a rubbish real-world modeler).

But from what I've seen on this and other sci-fi discussion boards I think I'm very much in the minority. Most fans seem very reluctant to accept the idea of change to a beloved design for any reason.

That would be the main problem with trying to actually sell stuff based on re-imagined/updated designs I think. Old school fans often dislike even 'official' re-imaginings (such as the new BSG) let alone something unofficial designed by other fans.

I may be wrong, but I suspect not.
JonesTheFilm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
mike s
Communications Officer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 792
Default

yeh I take your point

on the other hand look at the retooled Dalek from new Who (the ones from 2005 not the new telly-tubbies version)

as far as I can see those went down pretty well, presumably because they are very true to the originals but tooled-up and cool looking..?

Mike



Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesTheFilm View Post
Personally my science fiction interest has always included alternate histories and altered timelines so I'm always interested in seeing 're-imagined' versions of existing ideas. In fact I do it quite a bit myself just for my own enjoyment (but in 3D software because I'm a rubbish real-world modeler).

But from what I've seen on this and other sci-fi discussion boards I think I'm very much in the minority. Most fans seem very reluctant to accept the idea of change to a beloved design for any reason.

That would be the main problem with trying to actually sell stuff based on re-imagined/updated designs I think. Old school fans often dislike even 'official' re-imaginings (such as the new BSG) let alone something unofficial designed by other fans.

I may be wrong, but I suspect not.
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
JonesTheFilm
Travel Tube Technician
 
JonesTheFilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post
yeh I take your point

on the other hand look at the retooled Dalek from new Who (the ones from 2005 not the new telly-tubbies version)

as far as I can see those went down pretty well, presumably because they are very true to the originals but tooled-up and cool looking..?

Mike
Yes, I think the new Daleks did go down well, (though I had a few hard-core Who-fan friends who were even dismissive of them at first, until the 'Dalek' story in the Ecclestone series aired, then they seemed okay with it after seeing how worked in the show). But I still reckon that's a rarity and the re-booted dalek was hardly a radical change from the old ones being mainly extra detailing and a re-spray.

I wouldn't want to put you off posting some of your designs up though. As I said, I like seeing re-imagined stuff.
JonesTheFilm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Transporter
Life Support Officer
 
Transporter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CH
Posts: 1,847
Default

Go ahead! Just don't get saddened if someone does not like your designs. This is not personal but some people only accept the "official" screen used designs.

I am always interested in new ideas, but this does not mean that I always like them all. But at the beginning of the ETF we had a great contest about new pod designs... http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ght=pod-u-like
Unfortunately not all the pics are still up.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
steeple
Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesTheFilm View Post
Yes, I think the new Daleks did go down well, (though I had a few hard-core Who-fan friends who were even dismissive of them at first, until the 'Dalek' story in the Ecclestone series aired, then they seemed okay with it after seeing how worked in the show). But I still reckon that's a rarity and the re-booted dalek was hardly a radical change from the old ones being mainly extra detailing and a re-spray.

I wouldn't want to put you off posting some of your designs up though. As I said, I like seeing re-imagined stuff.
the very recent redesigned coloured daleks seem to be a bit of a misfire though. I too would love to see your re-imagining of the eagle. I always got a thrill when a ship appeared on the show that was a variation on the eagle
steeple is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
mike s
Communications Officer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 792
Default

hi well to be honest its the stun gun I'm thinking of doing

I have some scribbles, I'll try to get a sketch up soon

cheers
Mike


Quote:
Originally Posted by steeple View Post
the very recent redesigned coloured daleks seem to be a bit of a misfire though. I too would love to see your re-imagining of the eagle. I always got a thrill when a ship appeared on the show that was a variation on the eagle
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
steeple
Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post
hi well to be honest its the stun gun I'm thinking of doing

I have some scribbles, I'll try to get a sketch up soon

cheers
Mike
oh, that sounds interesting! i loved the shape of the stun gun, with the sweep of the handle it kinda looked like it had flares like the moon city uniforms!
steeple is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
mike s
Communications Officer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 792
Default

yeh I've got loads of ideas - I love the design too and definitely think it could be given a cool make-over

for a start I'd have 2 different models: one for stun and one for kill - no way I'd have those 2 functions just separated by the flick of a switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by steeple View Post
oh, that sounds interesting! i loved the shape of the stun gun, with the sweep of the handle it kinda looked like it had flares like the moon city uniforms!
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
steeple
Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
Default

heh, my personal theory is the writers went with "stun guns" as a conceptual conceit, but added the kill setting later for dramatic reasons. was the physical stun/kill switch added for season two or later in season one? I'm sure they didn't have that chunky slider switch originally.
steeple is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
mike s
Communications Officer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 792
Default

hmm I dunno - wasn't 'Force of life' filmed very early..?


...quite serious 'frying tonight' action in that one




Quote:
Originally Posted by steeple View Post
heh, my personal theory is the writers went with "stun guns" as a conceptual conceit, but added the kill setting later for dramatic reasons. was the physical stun/kill switch added for season two or later in season one? I'm sure they didn't have that chunky slider switch originally.
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #14
Fun Pod
Communications Officer
 
Fun Pod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post
...yeh, I've got loads of ideas - I love the design too, and definitely think it could be given a cool make-over ... for a start, I'd have 2 different models: one for 'stun' and one for 'kill' ...
I had a crack at a stun gun redesign once, with a 'decimate' setting:



Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
Howard
Deputy Commander
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seaford, East Sussex.
Posts: 983
Default

I've always been interested in alternative or complementary designs of established ships / hardware.
For my money, executed well they can add depth to any show's universe. Like the alternative T.I.E. fighters and the various Viper types.
Saying that, it's hard to execute such ideas with a level of both justification for the design and believeability once complete - as I've found out myself.
Still - I love seeing fan designs - as I think they contribute to keeping the core subject alive in the eyes of fans of such shows, and the general SF fanbase.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #16
steeple
Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Pod View Post
I had a crack at a stun gun redesign once, with a 'decimate' setting:



ooh, that looks far to dangerous though . what about one that has a light that shines little cutouts of eagles onto the wall like my store bought one did
steeple is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #17
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander
 
Captain Sci-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Glos, UK
Posts: 5,013
Default That's not a stun gun..... THIS is a stun gun....

I have days when I could use one of those, take today for example....

This made me laugh - thanks Fun Pod

Cap'n

Sent from my iPad
www.eagletransporter.com
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com