Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-11-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Poll: Competing Pods

Should competing pods of the same theme or "function" (to previously submitted ones) be allowed entry to the Pod-U-Like™ Contest?...

• If not allowed, will it stifle competion and therefore the eventual number of entries?
• Should it be just up to personal integrity? After all, the voters will decide in the end.

The result of this poll (which will run for seven days) will influence contest criteria - please choose wisely!

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

For what it's worth, I wonder whether the entries should be submitted to "The Commander" but kept private until a particular date. Given that they have to be in by June next year, that gives latecomers a tremendous advantage by having seen all the previous entries without necessarily having to show their's until the last minute. Also June is an awfully long way away. I'd judge the thing around January/February and then launch a new competition on a quarterly basis possibly best original Earth Technology ship design or best original Alien ship design in keeping with the series.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Hi DX, thanks for your input.

The reason the deadline is so far away is not only because it gives folk a bit of time to think but because it's a relatively new board and membership isn't massive (at the moment)! I personally feel that a Jan/Feb deadline is optimistic at best.

There's also the issue of sponsors. It's been surprisingly difficult to get sponsors on board (especially from the Brits ) and to do this on a quarterly basis would be an admin nightmare!

Fair point about me recieving the entries - but as you can imagine, it'd be another admin nightmare to prep and post all the entries when the time comes. Keeping track of things as they are is pretty taxing as it is and I'm trying to get the board to pretty much run itself! I'd much rather have the entries up as they are - perhaps it'll give inspiration to others. It certainly keeps us all talking.

Cheers.
Old 24-11-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Eagle
Commander Ret.

83 reads and only 5 votes, come on, dudes!
Old 24-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There's no "Yes" without "conditions" option which is what I'd vote for. I think it would be obvious if someone had "copied" someone else's entry.

Old 24-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I agree and I think option 3 covers that.
Old 24-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

In that case my votes is now in.
Old 24-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
doon
Communications Officer

For what it is worth,
In my view, combining what is a common thread between us,I think that there is enough integrity for us to come up with"variations on a theme" without some cheap imitation or blatant copy causing a riff.
Just my 2cents
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

It depends if you're judging the idea or the execution. If someone comes up with a stonkingly good idea but someone else borrows the idea but makes a better model, who should get the points? I'm only playing devil's advocate here but it could lead to bad feeling. It depends how serious you want to take this competition which given the build up and prizes seems to be being taken very seriously. Just thinking out loud really.
Old 24-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Hmm. tricky.

Old 25-11-2005, 04:31 AM   #11
doon
Communications Officer

Excellent point, If it was a pie contest, the only difference would be the filling
I doubt I will enter a pod, so I should probly keep my mouth shut, however if I did it would either be a variation on a weapon, or lunchwagon
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #12
Eagle
Commander Ret.

For what it's worth, in the design world, it is often quoted (in courts of law) that there is no copyright on ideas - where infringement occurs is in the execution...
Old 30-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #13
Eagle
Commander Ret.

The poll is now over.

The result is that entries should be up to the personal integrity of the person submitting it.

This will shortly be reflected in the contest guidelines.

Thanks for your votes.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #14
Spaceace2001
Alphan

I doubt I will enter a pod myself lacking the skill and time, but the entries so far are superb. It seems to me that leaving the contest as open as possible encourages more entries which has to be to the good. Also certain variations such as military pods may attract more than others...
Spaceace2001 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I'll be entering but I won't be showing until just before the judging. I still think six months is too long though.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #16
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I may in fact be reducing the time scale on the contest down to end Feb/Mar 06. The jury is still out but I need to finalise some personal biz before I can go firm on this.

The contest will remain a 'sticky' until June 06 (just in case there's any disgruntled sponsors reading! )